BBC four winter walks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Caught this yesterday on the telly box  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qd6w

Nice bit of slow paced mindfullness Tv, a half hour bimble with some recognisable sights.  

Lankyman 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Mrs Only a Hill:

> Caught this yesterday on the telly box  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qd6w

> Nice bit of slow paced mindfullness Tv, a half hour bimble with some recognisable sights.  

Yes, Selina has always been one of the best sights on TV. The scenery was nice too. Tonights offering is in Dentdale, a bit more on my patch than Wharfedale. Walked on (and crawled under) those hills for years.

I just watched the Simon Armitage & Richard Coles ones - very relaxing. I like the fact that the walker can choose what to show with the gimbal camera.

Sean Kelly 06 Jan 2021

Yes I enjoyed the one last night on Dentdale. The guy is a poet and his enthusiasm shone through brightly.

Not been back to Dent since 1977 when I was on an advanced caving course based at Whernside Manor. I wonder if it is still going?

Lankyman 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Yes I enjoyed the one last night on Dentdale. The guy is a poet and his enthusiasm shone through brightly.

> Not been back to Dent since 1977 when I was on an advanced caving course based at Whernside Manor. I wonder if it is still going?

I was thinking about all the caves Lemn passed en route! Virtually every little gill has a cave (I've looked!) and there are lots of them actually in the bed of the Dee. I always enjoyed caving there, such a contrast to the big, vertical stuff round the Three Peaks. Did you know that the cave diver Oliver 'Bear' Statham is buried in the little chapel at Cowgill?

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3953027 

He and Geoff Yeadon were living legends when I started caving in the seventies. Whernside Manor is no longer open as a caving centre. I think that all ended in the eighties some time

Harry Jarvis 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Yes, Selina has always been one of the best sights on TV. The scenery was nice too. Tonights offering is in Dentdale, a bit more on my patch than Wharfedale. Walked on (and crawled under) those hills for years.

I was disappointed with Selina Scott's walk in Wharfedale. She wasn't very engaging, and I'm sure there would have been better parts of Wharfedale to walk - Bolton Abbey to the Strid and Barden Bridge would have been nice.  

Lankyman 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> I was disappointed with Selina Scott's walk in Wharfedale. She wasn't very engaging

Just be grateful you didn't get Julia Bradbury gushing all over the show

John Gresty 07 Jan 2021

Anybody know how the camera works. One can see the hand that is holding the camera pole, and it appears in other shots as a shadow, but never actually visible. I asked a professional film camera-person after the first series and she did not have an answer.

John

nufkin 07 Jan 2021
In reply to John Gresty:

>  Anybody know how the camera works?

Some sort of on-the-fly pole-removing software, I assume. I've seen footage from something similar on a bike ride and there was a sort of pixellated blurring where the support would have been, presumably noticeable because of the speed

Lankyman 07 Jan 2021

> I was disappointed with Selina Scott's walk in Wharfedale. She wasn't very engaging, and I'm sure there would have been better parts of Wharfedale to walk - Bolton Abbey to the Strid and Barden Bridge would have been nice.  

You might prefer tonight's offering further up the dale at Kettlewell? I was over that way just last August and it already feels like a hell of a long time ago.

squarepeg 07 Jan 2021

Dentdale one was good. I would have liked more river path footage, it's superb there. 

Harry Jarvis 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks, I shall watch that. I've been watching on iplayer, so I'm not sure of the broadcast sequence - I caught up with Lemn Sissay last night. He seemed to be having a bit of a tough time walking up the hill to Dent Station.  

deepsoup 07 Jan 2021

> Nice bit of slow paced mindfullness Tv, a half hour bimble with some recognisable sights.  

I like a bit of 'slow TV', thanks for the tip I'll check it out.

Lankyman 07 Jan 2021

> Thanks, I shall watch that. I've been watching on iplayer, so I'm not sure of the broadcast sequence - I caught up with Lemn Sissay last night. He seemed to be having a bit of a tough time walking up the hill to Dent Station.  

I can vouch for that one! I walked from Artengill a few years ago, to the foot of that road at Cowgill - a road walk that is actually a pleasure. The road up to the station is not really a pleasure but does give ever-expanding views back over Dentdale. The actual point of my walk was to make a circuit over Great Knoutberry Hill - some typical tarns up there and lots of bog. Would be good, frozen today but way beyond my lockdown radius!

I'm glad others are enjoying this, caught Rev Richard Coles one last night on iplayer (he's my favourite celebrity vicar) just disappointed he didn't have the woofers with him.  

graeme jackson 07 Jan 2021

We watched Selina's walk last night. Apart from spotting loads of places we love, we couldn't help but think Selina Scott at 69 looks nothing like Selina Scott in her heyday. Certainly wouldn't have recognised her if we'd walked past. 

Lankyman 07 Jan 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

> We watched Selina's walk last night. Apart from spotting loads of places we love, we couldn't help but think Selina Scott at 69 looks nothing like Selina Scott in her heyday. Certainly wouldn't have recognised her if we'd walked past. 

It would be 'educational' to go back in time and meet my eighties self. I wonder what look I'd see flicker across his face - fear, shock, dismay?

graeme jackson 07 Jan 2021

Just finished watching the other three. Thought the dent walk the best but i have a 'thing' for all things settle and carlisle. Fascinated by the selfie sticks that exist as shadows but disappear when you see the walker's hands.

squarepeg 07 Jan 2021

Saw tonights. Nice scenery but she talked too much. 

John Gresty 08 Jan 2021

My wife did a bit of internet research last night and found an explanation of how the camera system works. I wont try to describe it on here as I'm bound to simplify it too much, but with a bit more internet searching than I managed the camera workings can be discovered.

John

Glyno 08 Jan 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

>Fascinated by the selfie sticks that exist as shadows but disappear when you see the walker's hands.

Me too. I was under the impression they were using Gopro's or similar, but they use a 360 degree camera which is something else apparently and is the reason why you don't see the stick.

I'm going to investigate...

In reply to John Gresty:

They are used a lot by outdoor Youtube vloggers and one of them did an item on how they work - try this youtube.com/watch?v=ti1sjYHo3uY&

Lankyman 08 Jan 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

> Saw tonights. Nice scenery but she talked too much. 

She's a politician - it's expected. I've only seen three of them but I didn't think Warsi was overly verbal.

graeme jackson 11 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> She's a politician - it's expected. I've only seen three of them but I didn't think Warsi was overly verbal.

She's the kind of walker I love to meet on low level bimbles, more than happy to stop for a proper chat rather than a hurried 'morning' while looking the other way.  I do think some of her encounters looked a bit contrived though. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...