Badly rushed hopeless Oscars predictions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 09 Feb 2020

OK, it is 1.5 hours before the ceremony (at the time I start writing this). I've been super busy and not spent any time "analysing" the list of nominees so I'll be neither upset nor surprised if I get every single one wrong! 
Also there are a good few films nominated in the major categories, that I have not seen. Trying not to hedge my bets by saying "this OR this" aside from supporting actress and adapted screenplay where I am a bit torn. Also trying to treat each category independent of other categories where the film is nominated. 

Here goes:

Best Picture - Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
Best Actor - Jonathan Pryce
Best Actress - Charlize Theron
Best Supporting Actor - Brad Pitt
Best Supporting Actress - Laura Dern or Margot Robbie
Best Animated Feature - Missing Link 
Cinematography - 1917 (Roger Deakins)
Costume Design - Little Women (Jacqueline Durran)
Director - Joker (Todd Phillips)
Documentary Feature - no idea
Documentary Short - no idea
Film Editing - Parasite (Yan Jinmo)
International Feature Film - Parasite (South Korea)
Make Up and Hairstyling - Joker (Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou)
Music (Original Score) - 1917 (Thomas Newman)
Music (Original Song) - no idea
Production Design - The Irishman (Bob Shaw, Regina Graves)
Short Film (animated) - no idea
Short film (live action) - no idea
Sound Editing - 1917 (Oliver Tarney and Rachael Tate)
Sound Mixing - Ford v Ferrari (Paul Massey, David Giammarco and Steven A. Morrow)
Visual Effects - The Irishman (Pablo Helman, Leandro Estebecorena, Nelson Sepulveda-Fauser and Stephane Grabli)
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi) or Joker (Todd Phillips and Scott Silver)
Writing (Original Screenplay) - Marriage Story (Noah Baumbach)

So I am going for a fairly even distribution with nothing sweeping the board e.g two for Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, three for 1917, one or maybe two for Bombshell, two for Parasite, two/three for Joker, two for The Irishman (I have not seen the film), and slight snubs for Little Women and Marriage Story ( I have not seen the film), total snubs for  and a shock with Jonathan Pryce. 
Remember last year, The Favourite was nominated for ten Oscars and won one, and Vice was nominated for eight and won one (see also: Three Billboards getting 2/7 etc
The increase to ten nominees for Best Picture (as opposed to five) was intended to do this, to reduce board-sweeping wins, and I think it is working. No more "8 Oscars for Slumdog Millionaire" , then again La La Land got six out of fourteen so what am I even on about?!

Let's see how horribly wrong I am, in the morning

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Correct on Pitt

wrong on Missing Link ...

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Getting a fair few wrong but so far actually not too sloppy! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...