This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 02 Nov 2018

I see that the titles for the next four Avatar movies have been released, after a decade, does anyone really care anymore about a movie that wasn't that good to begin with ?

I quite enjoy sci-fi but I wont be rushing to see one sequel never mind four, how about you ?

Toby_W 02 Nov 2018
In reply to GravitySucks:

I do remember enjoying it but reaching the half way point and realizing he hadn't even switched sides yet, unlike my bum, which despite having switched sides several times was going very numb.

Cheers

Toby

Trangia 02 Nov 2018

I enjoyed it, and think you are a bit harsh about the original. Having said that, I wouldn't be rushing to see the sequels. Didn't see it in 3D though.

Snyggapa 02 Nov 2018

Visually spectacular but spectacularly boring. No int in any sequels

elliot.baker 02 Nov 2018

I loved it and will be excited to see more! 

graeme jackson 02 Nov 2018

Last week, Sigourney Weaver, who stars as Dr Grace Augustine, told the Hollywood Reporter that "we just finished shooting 2 and 3" and that she was now preparing to be "busy doing Avatar 4 and 5".

I'm pretty bloody certain she died in avatar 1.

profitofdoom 02 Nov 2018
In reply to graeme jackson:

> I'm pretty bloody certain she died in avatar 1.

Could be a prequel. Could be resurrected

In reply to Snyggapa:

£200 million on visuals

£2.50 on script 

Philip 02 Nov 2018

Sequels are just milking it. Plenty of original content nowadays, especially Netflix. 

mbh 02 Nov 2018
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

> £2.50 on script 

More than that I think. I liked the line:

"Here tomorrow 08:00. Try and use big words."

> I see that the titles for the next four Avatar movies have been released, after a decade, does anyone really care anymore about a movie that wasn't that good to begin with ?

> I quite enjoy sci-fi but I wont be rushing to see one sequel never mind four, how about you ?

I think he really has left it far to long now. 

It was entertaining enough but nowhere near good enough to merit 5 films.   

In reply to Chive Talkin\':

I fell asleep for about half an hour (could've been an hour), woke myself up with a loud after-effect of the curry I'd just eaten and didn't feel like I'd missed much

Blue Straggler 05 Nov 2018

James Cameron hasn't really been bothered what other people think about his films since True Lies. When 9/11 happened and he had to dump any plans for a True Lies franchise, he openly admitted that Titanic was absolutely a blag on his part, to get Fox and Paramount to fund 11 dives to the Titanic site. It just happened to win 11 Oscars and bag him an additional personal bonus of $30 million. 
Avatar is a personal indulgence project, indeed the sequels would not be happening had the first one tanked, but it's all a bit George Lucas and Star Wars 1999-2005....

I'm more interested in Battle Angle Alita, which Cameron has had some peripheral involvement with. 

Jon Read 05 Nov 2018

Can't wait for Titanic 2.

I'm not holding much hope for Terminator 6 either.

In reply to Jon Read:

Titanic 2 is already in the works and rumoured to have the provisional title Brexit.

Webster 05 Nov 2018

i hate the fact that nothing can be a stand alone hit any more. everything is "can we make it good enough to warrant a sequel?". not "lets make the best possible film"...

In reply to Webster:

Funnily enough a lot of the Mark Wahlberg big budget vehicles are sequel-proof.

Deepwater Horizon

Lone Survivor

Patriots Day

admittedly all “true story” films though 

LastBoyScout 05 Nov 2018

I enjoyed it at the time, but it was basically "Dances with Wolves" in space...

In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I enjoyed it at the time, but it was basically "Dances with Wolves" in space...

Also a lot of people compared it to Ferngully: The Last Rainforest (not sure about that full title)

I thought it was very close to Peter Matthiessen’s novel “At Play in the Fields Of the Lord” (and Avatar was actually 20 mins SHORTER than the film adaptation of that novel)

Clarence 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Funnily enough a lot of the Mark Wahlberg big budget vehicles are sequel-proof.

> Deepwater Horizon...

Fingers crossed!

cb294 05 Nov 2018

The Avatar script was a straight ripoff of the Russian scifi novel "The world of Noon". Wonder where they will steal the ideas for the sequels...

CB

In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I enjoyed it at the time, but it was basically "Dances with Wolves" in space...

Wags were calling it "Dances With Smurfs" at the time

LastBoyScout 05 Nov 2018

Ha, yes - I remember that, now you mention it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...