Anohni - Hopelessness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anohni - Hopelessness 

I had meant to get this album years ago and only just brought it about 2 weeks ago.  I didn't realise it was 4 years old now.

For anyone that hasn't heard of her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anohni

This album is fantastic.

Very serious subject matter sang with a beautiful voice and electronic accompaniment.

Global warming, executions, child molesters,  viruses and hopelessness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopelessness_(album)

5 stars from me .

Route Adjuster 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Sounds really uplifting!  On a serious note TWS, given you openly share the challenges you have with depression and negative states of mind I can't imagine that listening to lyrics about these situations is doing you any good.  That's not to deny that they aren't happening, they all clearly are, but focusing on the negative things in life rather than positives isn't good.  balance it out with some Black lace party hits from the 1970's!  Agadoo anyone?

Possible links to circles of influence and circle of concern? https://davidrynick.com/circle-of-influence-and-circle-of-concern/ 

Post edited at 10:58
In reply to Route Adjuster:

I don't listen to this exclusively you realise.

I listen to lots of different things . 

Route Adjuster 04 Sep 2020

Glad to hear that, was concerned there for a minute.

Niall_H 04 Sep 2020

Cheers!  Always good to get a new (to me) recomendation!

In reply to Route Adjuster:

My day could start with any number of artists or tunes.

I brought the killers new album Tuesday.  I'm still working through that .

I write music and play instruments , music is a big part of my life.

Lankyman 04 Sep 2020

> My day could start with any number of artists or tunes.

Start the day with this. A true punk pioneer's finest moment!

youtube.com/watch?v=z1PTlnhQhoQ&

In reply to Lankyman:

> Start the day with this. A true punk pioneer's finest moment!

A good if not bonkers song. 

Tobes 04 Sep 2020

> Global warming, executions, child molesters,  viruses and hopelessness.

I think Throbbing Gristle made a career out of that list - though perhaps through a slightly different lense 

In reply to Tobes:

> I think Throbbing Gristle made a career out of that list - though perhaps through a slightly different lense 

I only ever owned " 20 jazz funk greats" and I can remember thinking wtf to some of that. 

I heard them off the back of researching Sleazy and John balance from coil. 

Now coil are/were blindingly good . There is nothing I've heard that comes close to that atmosphere and ambiance .  

I really like some of Thighpaulsandras music , bonkers and very avant garde.  Disturbing but still some brilliantly strange stuff.

In reply to Niall_H:

> Cheers!  Always good to get a new (to me) recomendation!

I hope you like it.  

Her voice is amazing if not at first unusual.

It's surprisingly uplifting music to be fair. It's a strange juxtaposition.

I found this quote quite apt

Writing for NPR, Ann Powers said of the album, "The subject matter on Hopelessness can be grisly — state-sponsored execution, torture, animals expiring in trees — but the music, and Anohni's singing especially, brings the emotional rush of revelation."

Post edited at 20:25
 Tobes 04 Sep 2020

> I only ever owned " 20 jazz funk greats" and I can remember thinking wtf to some of that. 

ha ha! yeah that's the correct response I think. if you haven't, I'd recommend Cossi's autobiography - it's pretty graphic. Gen doesn't come out of it looking particularly good. if TG's music was pushing boundaries COUM Transmissions (what TG became later) were pushing what was possible in live performance - I doubt anything like that will ever have a performance space these days. 

> I heard them off the back of researching Sleazy and John balance from coil. 

> Now coil are/were blindingly good . There is nothing I've heard that comes close to that atmosphere and ambiance .  

yeah - they definitely went to the darker places - 

> I really like some of Thighpaulsandras music , bonkers and very avant garde.  Disturbing but still some brilliantly strange stuff.

There is a huge back catalogue of the Cossi/Carter legacy - some of it decades ahead of it's time - 

i wont put up a link - but did you ever venture into the world of Whitehouse?! - i don't know what to make of them, I think they went too close to the subject matter in terms of 'research' - even TG were offended by them! 

In reply to Tobes:

> There is a huge back catalogue of the Cossi/Carter legacy - some of it decades ahead of it's time - 

I will research them this weekend.

> i wont put up a link - but did you ever venture into the world of Whitehouse?! - i don't know what to make of them, I think they went too close to the subject matter in terms of 'research' - even TG were offended by them! 

Never heard of them.  I'll have to research that too.  

There's a running joke between me and 2 friends of mine about making a compilation of our strangest and most challenging music from our collection of artists.

There's a growing list of songs being added.

We'd like to call it "now that's what I call strange" volume 1

Full of the sort of stuff you would like to have playing when you offer someone a lift in your car.

Tobes 04 Sep 2020

> I will research them this weekend.

> Never heard of them.  I'll have to research that too.  

> There's a running joke between me and 2 friends of mine about making a compilation of our strangest and most challenging music from our collection of artists.

> There's a growing list of songs being added.

> We'd like to call it "now that's what I call strange" volume 1

> Full of the sort of stuff you would like to have playing when you offer someone a lift in your car.

oh I would f#@king buy that! ok then add some Merzbow, Annea Lockwood, Michel Waisvisz, and the few I mentioned already - some of Scott Walkers later work also - eg Tilt - (is it that album where he records himself punching meat?!) 

oh for a bit of Coldplay and the Killers eh....... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...