Amazing Grace...and other songs that make you cry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mountainbagger 30 Nov 2018

Just been listening to different versions of Amazing Grace. Stand outs so far are Aretha Franklin and Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.

But...why am I welling up??? I'm not even religious! What is it about that song? And the Royal Scots version...blimey.

Any other songs that do this to you?

Post edited at 17:52
 john arran 30 Nov 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

Not really an answer to your question, but I absolutely love this version of Amazing Grace - by the jazz flautist Hubert Laws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMbAQUCRJxc&index=1&list=RDKMbAQUCR...

In reply to john arran:

> Not really an answer to your question, but I absolutely love this version of Amazing Grace - by the jazz flautist Hubert Laws

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMbAQUCRJxc&index=1&list=RDKMbAQUCR...

Gosh, that was lovely. I am sooooo relaxed and mellow after listening to that...and I'm not crying...and I never expected to like a jazz flute piece! Thanks

The version of Abide With Me that formed part of the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony is certain to do that for me. It did at the time and has done so every time I've watched it subsequently.

T.

hms 30 Nov 2018

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman

Daughter by Pearl Jam

doesn't matter how many times I hear them, doesn't matter where I hear them, I'll be sobbing by the end every single time.

In reply to hms:

> Fast Car by Tracy Chapman

> Daughter by Pearl Jam

> doesn't matter how many times I hear them, doesn't matter where I hear them, I'll be sobbing by the end every single time.

Interesting (in a good way). Fast Car is a great song but not inherently emotional for me as music (I'm not a lyrics person). Is it the lyrics or does it remind you of something that makes you emotional? Or is it the music itself?

I've often listened to Pearl Jam and definitely a fan but again that particular song isn't tugging my heart strings so same questions as for Tracy Chapman (if you don't mind of course!).

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> The version of Abide With Me that formed part of the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony is certain to do that for me. It did at the time and has done so every time I've watched it subsequently.

Just had a listen again. Emeli Sande. A very beautiful version for sure.

Removed User 30 Nov 2018

You can have him by Nina Simone . I first heard it in a barbers over 50 years ago and it made a hard little buggers eyes water and it still does now

plyometrics 30 Nov 2018

‘A Better Place’ by Glen Campbell. 

hms 30 Nov 2018

Fast Car - the lyrics. Find it incredibly sad and bleak.

Daughter - I honestly don't know!

alx 30 Nov 2018
 arch 30 Nov 2018

If you know the story. This.

youtube.com/watch?v=-PtdOMf-0qI&

Tom Valentine 30 Nov 2018

Puccini. The works.

Blue Straggler 30 Nov 2018

in a weak state of near exhaustion once, I was almost crying at The Throes by Two Gallants.

the line “he’s got that kind of love that never shows” was the near-breaking point 

In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Puccini. The works.

Oh goodness. I hadn't intended the scope of this thread to include classical music. There's loads that makes me emotional. Mozart's requiem, some bits of some operas, Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony, the opening to Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra, even some Bach, etc.

brownie mike 30 Nov 2018

Robert Plant - Like I've Never Been Gone

youtube.com/watch?v=glJeVJTniHA&

Played at a dear friend's funeral - can't listen to it without tears forming! 

Phil Lyon 30 Nov 2018

You might not be religious, but the thing that has moved you to tears in Amazing Grace is the basis for all true religious experiences - wanting to be known, being accepted despite your flaws, finding purpose and that you personally have value within an unimaginably vast universe.

For me, the ending to Les Mis gets me; looking ahead to a time when all barriers to peace and equality are broken down.

And Wires by Athlete: I know Athlete were never that great, but as a Dad, when I realised that this song was about his prematurely born kid, it moved me to the weepies.

Tom Valentine 30 Nov 2018

Sorry, you just said songs. I always think of arias as songs.

Maybe Josh Groban singing Per Te is a suitable crossover.

Or any number of Bocelli pop songs, "Sogno" for instance.

Post edited at 20:37
In reply to Removed User:

> You can have him by Nina Simone . I first heard it in a barbers over 50 years ago and it made a hard little buggers eyes water and it still does now

Smooth, and feels lonely.

Trangia 30 Nov 2018

This

youtube.com/watch?v=BxgmorK61YQ&

It always makes me well up

GridNorth 30 Nov 2018

Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd after a couple of glasses of wine.

Al

In reply to brownie mike:

> Robert Plant - Like I've Never Been Gone

> youtube.com/watch?v=glJeVJTniHA&

> Played at a dear friend's funeral - can't listen to it without tears forming! 

Ah well, if we're talking about funerals, a friend who died after a fall in his home at the age of 30 (he was an alcoholic sadly) had Snow Patrol, Chasing Cars playing. I can't listen to that now without choking up.

Just listening to the Robert Plant song now... I like it.

aln 30 Nov 2018

The Proclaimers - Sunshine on Leith

In reply to GridNorth:

> Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd after a couple of glasses of wine.

> Al

Drinking a glass of red right now as it happens and what a great song that is, one of my favourites. Not tearful but emotionally very powerful. I could listen to that all day (and all night).

In reply to alx:

B*stard! I am crying, but not in a good way!

In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Sorry, you just said songs. I always think of arias as songs.

> Maybe Josh Groban singing Per Te is a suitable crossover.

> Or any number of Bocelli pop songs, "Sogno" for instance.

No problem, any music welcome really, just know for me classical music is full of stuff that gets to me!

I really liked the Josh Groban song though, thanks.

Post edited at 20:49
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Wires by Athlete was great, really liked it and didn't know it until you mentioned it, so thanks for that.

Trangia 30 Nov 2018
 GridNorth 30 Nov 2018

I think it's my very favourite song of all time especially the version with the David Gilmour extended guitar solo at the end.

In reply to Trangia:

> This

> youtube.com/watch?v=BxgmorK61YQ&

> It always makes me well up

I am (or used to be) a clarinetist and I used to be able to play that!

Phil Lyon 30 Nov 2018

and the Howard's Way theme tune

youtube.com/watch?v=dwoeSQMz7VU&

even with the digital seagulls

Gone 30 Nov 2018

Tim minchin’s white wine in the sun, especially at this time of year, but the impact is mostly the lyrics so might not do it for you.

climber34neil 30 Nov 2018

Perhaps the best love song ever written??

youtube.com/watch?v=SkhTRrSoSyU&

In reply to GridNorth:

> I think it's my very favourite song of all time especially the version with the David Gilmour extended guitar solo at the end.

I haven't thought of what might be my absolute favourite song of all time, but top 10 definitely.

ChrisBrooke 30 Nov 2018

Beeswing by Richard Thompson:  youtube.com/watch?v=HApy-Xoix-g&

For me, guaranteed tears from the opening chords:  youtube.com/watch?v=xP-Sxfntdb4&

It's cheesy country, but I think having a daughter has made me soft..... Perhaps many parents can relate to the words (hence the 65 million views   )

Ok, my wife's two quite different suggestions for highly emotional songs:

Something I Can Never Have, Nine Inch Nails, which I agree is harrowing and devastating.

When I Grow Up, from Matilda (with the context of watching our 7 yr old singing it with his class at an end of infant school assembly). I am actually trying really hard not to cry right now just typing this, so perhaps this is my winner for actual tearfulness.

In reply to Gone:

> Tim minchin’s white wine in the sun, especially at this time of year, but the impact is mostly the lyrics so might not do it for you.

Maybe, but I have just confessed in the post above this one that I think my most tearful song is another Tim Minchin number (When I grow up, from Matilda)!

Jim Lancs 30 Nov 2018

Walter Trout's: "She takes more than she gives".

RX-78 30 Nov 2018

One more step along the world I go.

I think it's going to rain today by Nina Simone.  Used to play this while running and with the endorphins I would be in tears running.

Post edited at 23:35
 deepsoup 01 Dec 2018

Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me to the End of Love".  The elderly couples with their old photos in this video - oh my gosh.  I've just had a bit of a blub now.  Lovely.

youtube.com/watch?v=NGorjBVag0I&

ChrisBrooke 01 Dec 2018

Another quick one:  youtube.com/watch?v=pOGqjWH7Qd0&

Middle of my mind, by Tom Rosenthal. Great song but an even better experience watching the video. 

Removed User 01 Dec 2018

'songs that make you cry' - steady on we're British - but I will admit to a lump in the throat when I hear Joni Mitchell singing 'The Magdelena Laundries' particularly the version with the Dubliners. So sad for all those girls.

Kipper 01 Dec 2018

As it's nearly Christmas you could try this -  youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q&

John Ww 01 Dec 2018
In reply to Kipper (and dozens of others)

Here’s a tip - rather than just pasting a link to a YouTube video, post the name of the bloody band and the song title! It saves the rest of us clicking on a link to a song that we either already know and love, or a band or song we despise. Rant over.

Anyone remember the film The Mission?

This track, Vita Nostra by Ennio Morricone  youtube.com/watch?v=8E49mSho2ng& doesn't make me blub (alright, doesn't make me blub much!) but does fill me with hope!

I must watch that film again.

Kipper 01 Dec 2018
In reply to John Ww:

> Here’s a tip - rather than just pasting a link to a YouTube video, post the name of the bloody band and the song title! It saves the rest of us clicking on a link to a song that we either already know and love, or a band or song we despise. Rant over.

Good point and I did think of doing that. Sorry.

John Ww 01 Dec 2018
In reply to Kipper:

Cheers for that

In reply to Kipper:

> As it's nearly Christmas you could try this -  youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q&

Ah, good one, but somebody already beat you to it! Few posts further up

sxrxg 01 Dec 2018

Moneen - The song I swore never to sing

youtube.com/watch?v=_jX4gT5PNxY&

In reply to Removed Userjess13:

> 'songs that make you cry' - steady on we're British - but I will admit to a lump in the throat when I hear Joni Mitchell singing 'The Magdelena Laundries' particularly the version with the Dubliners. So sad for all those girls.

Very sad. Not heard that before. The emotion is in the lyrics/subject matter rather the music itself for me.

In reply to sxrxg:

> Moneen - The song I swore never to sing

> youtube.com/watch?v=_jX4gT5PNxY&

Not bad at all. Not listened to Moneen before, so tried a couple of other songs. Liked them

In reply to Flinticus:

Beautiful. Gorecki's Symphony No.3, "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs", 2nd movement for those who haven't clicked on the link.

Pointless trivia: My masters dissertation was an analysis of Gorecki's Lux Aeterna (this piece was used in 2001: A Space Odessey).

MonkeyPuzzle 01 Dec 2018

I know it's trite and sentimental but Vincent by Don McLean gets to me.  youtube.com/watch?v=4wrNFDxCRzU&

Song to the Siren by This Mortal Coil also often has me getting something in my eye.  youtube.com/watch?v=SuwfsS5-iM8& 

marsbar 01 Dec 2018
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Wires gets to me, I remember hearing it on the radio while my tiny premature niece was in hospital.  

Now she is growing up fast, no problems but at the time I was terrified for her and for her mum.  

Post edited at 22:08
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> I know it's trite and sentimental but Vincent by Don McLean gets to me.  youtube.com/watch?v=4wrNFDxCRzU&

No, it's not that trite/sentimental, a lovely song.

> Song to the Siren by This Mortal Coil also often has me getting something in my eye.  youtube.com/watch?v=SuwfsS5-iM8& 

Well I don't know how This Mortal Coil has passed me by. That was excellent...off to find some more, thanks!

Edit: And I have just got round to listening to Flinticus' last recommendation, which turned out to be the same song! Really great

Post edited at 22:48
Removed User 01 Dec 2018

Er, was it not Ligeti?

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> Vita Nostra by Ennio Morricone  youtube.com/watch?v=8E49mSho2ng&

I just did a Google translate of the words to this and they are...

Our land is our life, our life is so yell.

Our land is our life, our life, so they yell.

Our strength is our penalty penalty penalty is so yell

Our strength is our penalty penalty penalty is so so so yell

It is our anger, our anger, our anger, so they yell yell it.

Our faith in our anger, rage is so angry yell.

Our land is our life is our life.

It is the cry of our life is the life of our earth yell.

Our strength is our penalty penalty penalty, so they yell yell.

Our faith in our anger, anger, rage, so it is so loud yell.

Our faith in our anger, anger, anger, our lives, our life.

Our land is our life, so they yell

Our land is our life, our life is yell

Our strength is our penalty penalty as punishment

Our strength is our penalty penalty penalty yell

Our anger, anger, anger, our faith in our own way.

Our faith in our anger, anger, anger, our demand.

Our land is our life is our life.

Ah! Glory!

Flinticus 01 Dec 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Song to the Siren has me on two fronts: the first is obvious - the song. The second is nostalgia and the time of my life it resonants with, when This Mortal Coil were contemporary. 

sxrxg 01 Dec 2018

Bright eyes - The first day of my life

youtube.com/watch?v=xUBYzpCNQ1I&

overdrawnboy 02 Dec 2018

Ballad of Runaway Horse by Emmy Lou Harris or the equally moving Leonard Cohen original

pneame 02 Dec 2018

Neil simon’s harvest moon. 

youtube.com/watch?v=EtJaywyLA1A&

For example  

steve taylor 02 Dec 2018

Martha - Tom Waits. Every time!

In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> Er, was it not Ligeti?

Yes! Don't know how I got that wrong...wow, the memory is going

krikoman 03 Dec 2018

Just about any national anthem, in the rugby, Wales, SA and Scottish in particular.

Change is gonna Come - Sam Cooke

youtube.com/watch?v=wEBlaMOmKV4&

and a couple of Puccini arias esp. youtube.com/watch?v=4wmpIXrg4MU& (probably the most beautiful piece of music in the world)

Lenon's - Give peace a chance

Bob Dylan's - The Times They Are A-Changin youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ&

With a modern update youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9drv78dCQ&

Labi Siffre - Something Inside So Strong youtube.com/watch?v=otuwNwsqHmQ&

PS you're all soft Southern bastards!!

Post edited at 18:01
 Harry Jarvis 03 Dec 2018

The brother of a young friend of mine was in a group in the 90s. A member of the group was diagnosed with a terminal illness, I forget the details) while they were recording their debut album. One of the songs they recorded was a cover of 'Sometimes it snow in April'. He died, not long after the recording was complete. The song appears on their album as a coda, and is a beautiful performance, and an absolute tear-jerker. 

The late Billy Mackenzie's 'Beyond the Sun' is another one, evoking the tragedy of his early suicide:

youtube.com/watch?v=_YmBYcEGlok&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...