A song that drifts through the ether

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 26 Jul 2021

I don't know if you ever drift off to sleep with your playlist on shuffle? I find it helps me drift off, anyway, I was listening to Open Eye Signal 'radio' on Spotify when a track came on that took hold of me profoundly but I was too sleepy to bookmark it. I seem to remember it was called Killing Ocean perhaps? Or some variation of and it was of a similar ilk to Open Eye Signal.

It's a longshot but you never know; maybe someone can help me find this tune?

Iamgregp 26 Jul 2021
In reply to broken spectre:

Echo and The Bunnymen - Killing Moon, from the album Ocean Rain?

In reply to Iamgregp:

Thanks, that's a good tune but the one I'm after is more of a trance track. I'm hesitant to refer to it as trance as as with Open Eye Signal it transcended the genre. Either that or I was very, very tired 😉

Iamgregp 26 Jul 2021

Damn, thought I had it cracked seeing as that had "Killing" and "Ocean" in it. 

But then had my suspicions as it's nearly 40 odd years old so most people know what it is by now!

If it's Trance (or even 4 to the floor) I've no chance, more of DnB man myself....

But then there is that Trance N Bass sub-genre...  I'm digressing badly now!

Blue Straggler 27 Jul 2021
In reply to broken spectre:probably useful to do the same Spotify radio thing while lucid and click forward tracks until you find it. It’ll probably turn up quite quickly especially if it was already played 

Phil Lyon 27 Jul 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

won't it just be in your play history?

In reply to Phil Lyon:

Dunno, I ditched Spotify 8 months ago! 

In reply to Phil Lyon:

> won't it just be in your play history?

👆🏽 Good call! Thank you, the song is called Ocean Death and it is by Baths

Am trying to find a word that describes this form of organic electronica but I don't suppose it matters

dread-i 27 Jul 2021

>Am trying to find a word that describes this form of organic electronica but I don't suppose it matters

That Open Eyes Signal, is a song by Jon Hopkins, who seems to be notably absent from that list. Check out his Open Eyes Signal and others by him.

Also Deep Listening is an interesting playlist. Some may be to your taste.

Edit:

Also check out James Holden (Blackpool late 80's, song) & Nathan Fake (drowning in a sea of love, album) as starting points.

Post edited at 15:55
 Shani 27 Jul 2021

I'm loving the recommendations in this thread!

Despite the often petty arguments and factional political/economic/training/diet disagreements I've been involved with on UKC over the years, the music recommendations have been continually solid!

Keep the tunes coming, but keep the grade of TPS to yourselves! 😁

Post edited at 17:07

> Am trying to find a word that describes this form of organic electronica but I don't suppose it matters

The Baths tune might be too bass-heavy to fit the description, but with that sort of warbling vocal over it it might be considered "folktronica" which seems to have become an accepted portmanteau for warmer more organic stuff. I don't find this all that organic myself but it is a massive grey area

The warbling becomes more incessant with each listen! And the words "I am the Ocean" are unnecessarily dramatic! My tastes are obviously off kilter when I'm cream-crackered; it's a good track in many ways despite this and I'm really impressed the Team UKC unearthed it in a roundabout way - urging me to check my play history om the app.

>  I'm really impressed the Team UKC unearthed it in a roundabout way 

Pah, this was nothing! You should have seen the time when someone posted up some really vague trying to identify a film with
"Cartoon, some old dude with a beard on a spaceship and a boy called Peel (?)" 

and within two minutes I'd answered it correctly (obscure 1981ish flop called The Time Masters, by Rene Laloux and Moebius)

The poster was not impressed enough IMHO  

Shani 27 Jul 2021

> Pah, this was nothing! You should have seen the time when someone posted up some really vague trying to identify a film with

I recall a post a few years ago where somebody posted about a dance tune, "...that goes duh, duh, duuuuh, da, duuuuuuh which came out in the late 90s".

Within 3 posts he got the correct answer.

The 40 responses after that were arguments to do with how the description of the "duh, duh, duuuuh, da, duuuuuuh" bit could have been more helpfully described. No one could agree if it should be "duh, duh, duuuuh" or "duh, duuuuh, duh". Classic UKC.

aln 01 Aug 2021
In reply to dread-i:

> > James Holden

Holden's album The Inheritors is a fantastic thing, one of my favourite albums. I don't know if it has any connection with the William Golding novella, one of my favourite books.

Nathan Fake (drowning in a sea of love, album)

I also love that. I saw him live supporting Orbital, harder sound but also excellent. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...