A sad old bastard in an X-Wing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Star Wars Squadrons on the Xbox

Despite getting blasted into fiery balls of shrapnel and having limited control – I’ve worked out how to deflect incoming missiles and can pilot the craft to some extent, but the space geeks blindside me at every manoeuvre. I must have an average life expectancy of about twenty seconds but what a compelling and slick looking game this is!

I'm 44 though 

I deserve the repeated annihilation

(Cheers to becauseitsthere for the recommendation) 

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

I think this game would be easier with VR because it's so spatial and fast paced

AndyC 10 Nov 2020

44? Yoda was 900 years old... started just getting are you!

The force isn't strong in this one. 

Youth!!  55 going on 12 here.  Keep playing to max out your ship with the best hull shields and weapons. They make a massive difference over the defaults. Especially lasers.  At spawn direct shields to front immediately. That will hopefully get you into the fight.  Targeting is critical. If an opponent has locked you then chances are he will keep attacking until he kills you so you have to Target attacker and take him on.  Dont fly in a straight line and use boost and drift to give yourself a chance to get weapons on him. Another tip is identify the lesser ranked players by cycling targets.  Haven't done so myself as I don't use comms but you could join a squadron. They're more likely to respond to wingman help requests. 

Also keen to try VR version. On PS4 so using controller but ideally like to get more of a cockpit style setup or seating arrangement with hotas, wheel and pedals. Mainly sims and racers that I play. Hours literally fly by. 

THE.WALRUS 11 Nov 2020

X Box? Sounds abit new-tech to me...I still play on my Commodore Amiga, lovingly preserved in my loft / office. 

Post edited at 05:36
 Dax H 11 Nov 2020
In reply to becauseitsthere:

I don't know if it was this specific game but I tried a VR game flying an X wing.  I genuinely couldn't figure out WTF and felt sick as a dog in about 2 minutes flat. It was cool looking down though and seeing myself in the pilots uniform. 

> Star Wars Squadrons on the Xbox

> Despite getting blasted into fiery balls of shrapnel and having limited control – I’ve worked out how to deflect incoming missiles and can pilot the craft to some extent, but the space geeks blindside me at every manoeuvre. I must have an average life expectancy of about twenty seconds but what a compelling and slick looking game this is!

> I'm 44 though 

> I deserve the repeated annihilation

> (Cheers to becauseitsthere for the recommendation) 

What have you called yourself ?

Pectin 5 ? 

Jelly 7 

" Jelly 7 ,you can start your attack run now'

😂

ThunderCat 11 Nov 2020

I've always been into games, from finding the BBC Micro computer in one of the study rooms in Primary school, to getting my first Commodore 64, to playing on a mates Amiga (cos I couldn't afford one) to always owning a console of some sort.

Then I tried playing my 13 year old nephew and his mates on Call Of Duty and they destroyed me.  20 minutes of "respawn / look around / aim wildly / headshot / dead" 

I'm 46.  We need to accept either our reflexes are rubbish, or the young 'uns are evolving superpowers

I just started playing Farming Simularor

Post edited at 08:41
 patrick_b 11 Nov 2020

Any excuse to link to some classic Bad Lip Reading..  youtube.com/watch?v=JRAOdRq-1lw&

wercat 11 Nov 2020

I'm afraid that this is about my level:

http://www.geoff.org.uk/microtan/files/Space_Invasion.pdf

back in the day I entered all that hex and fixed my errors, saved it on tape and played it.

I still have original hardware with the game burned into a 2K Eprom and play it occasionally though you can play it emulated in Windows too (as here on a well known video channel youtube.com/watch?v=TtAo5yUSaNU&)

It is easy enough for even me to play

Post edited at 10:20
 Mark Edwards 11 Nov 2020

I’ve heard they were always a bit of a handful to fly.

cb294 11 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

Nothing to do with reflexes, just that our time is too precious to practise much. If I had the time to learn all the keyboard gymnastics required for any of these modern games I would probably rather reactivate my piano skills from 30 years ago!

In terms of actual fighting reflexes I still beat the students at my judo club hands down. This will probably change post lockdown, when a current under 21 champion a weight class above me will join. This will be cool, I currently miss the fear of going on the mat with someone likely to whack me if I am in any way weak, slow, or careless. There is no better adrenaline kick, computer games just cannot compete!

CB

In reply to ThunderCat:

Haha, I had a similar experience trying to play my nephew a 10 years ago. 

But he was probably gaming for an hour or more most days, while I thought I was good because I used to get high scores on space invaders and asteroids down the local pub 25 years previously.

Obviously those (very rusty) skills didn't translate to the speed and complexity of modern games.

Would be interested to know how much of a hindrance aging is. If you had a 15 year old playing a 50 year old but they both had the same level of current experience on a game would the old person always get their arse kicked?

ThunderCat 11 Nov 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

I just know when I was a kid I could handle any amount of havoc on screen.  Now I prefer the slower paced, wander-around-a-big-landscape-and-mix-a-few-potions type of games

"During the war all this was fields" is now my default state of mind

ThunderCat 11 Nov 2020
In reply to cb294:

> Nothing to do with reflexes, just that our time is too precious to practise much. If I had the time to learn all the keyboard gymnastics required for any of these modern games I would probably rather reactivate my piano skills from 30 years ago!

Probably true.  in my "post student / living in a shared house with no responsibility" days it was quite common to get in from work at 6pm, start playing GoldenEye on the N64 with housemates, and to still be there as the sun was coming up the next day.  I was pretty good

Happy days 

Dax H 12 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'm with you, reflexes all the way. Practice helps and if I play it a lot I can hold my own on cod but 99% of the time if I meet another player head on I'm shot gown before I get a shot off. 

ThunderCat 12 Nov 2020
In reply to Dax H:

Valhalla Assassins Creed arrived yesterday... Its a wedding anniversary present so I'm not allowed to play it until the end of the month... I'm hoping that's going to grab my attention for the next few months

Dax H 12 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'm fancying that but I'm waiting for the Xbox 1x to land in my sticky fingers first. 

Cyberpunk is my next game. 

hang_about 12 Nov 2020

Played a board game with some friends kids a while back. Part of the 'skill' required was to flip a set of cards off the table with the back of your hand and try to catch them. More cards, more points. They seemed amazed that an old git like me was good at this. Too young to know the age-old skill of beer mat flipping!

chris_r 12 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I just know when I was a kid I could handle any amount of havoc on screen.  Now I prefer the slower paced, wander-around-a-big-landscape-and-mix-a-few-potions type of games

> "During the war all this was fields" is now my default state of mind

I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.

ThunderCat 12 Nov 2020
In reply to chris_r:

> I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.

Hahah.  "Get to the Cloud District often?"

I played the arse off Skyrim for years and loved it...then I played it too much...

However it's been ages since I've had a go and you've whet my appetite.  Got the VR version too which is bloody amazing.

ThunderCat 12 Nov 2020
In reply to Dax H:

yeah, I keep meaning to have a look at some more trailers for that as loads of people have recommended it.  When's it due out?

Still hoping that you get a second hand PS4 soon and check out TLOU2, just for the little nod towards the giraffe scene

Dax H 12 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

It was due next week but it's been bumped to December now 😢

Dax H 12 Nov 2020
In reply to hang_about:

> They seemed amazed that an old git like me was good at this. Too young to know the age-old skill of beer mat flipping!

It's great when you can show the young ones how it's done. A few years back, I think I was 40 ish we arranged a large kayaking and camping trip in Cornwall. There were 2 17 year oldswho asked me to go to the shop with them to buy some beer. 

So we got the beer and were driving through this little town and the lad in the back starts taking the piss calling me an old bastard because I wasn't chilling with my arm out of the window whilst driving through this surf town. 

I'm sorry but that was game on, I wound the window down, climbed out and struck a surf pose on the bonnet then went over the car and knocked on the rear window where Mr piss taking was sat. 

The pair of them were gob smacked that someone the age of their dad's would do such a thing. 

Kids think they are being cool and edgy but we have done it all and probably more before, easier back then too. Far less cameras about to capture the evidence. 

hang_about 12 Nov 2020
In reply to Dax H:

Sounds like you did that whilst being the driver which is truly impressive! 

wercat 13 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

Anyone remember flying under the bridge in "Aviator"?  The fact that that was probably my best moment shows my non-gamer credentials.

I'm only jealous I don't have the time to spend learning to game  - too much real else to understand/build/test/fix/repair

Post edited at 09:52
 hang_about 13 Nov 2020
In reply to wercat:

upside down!

Dax H 13 Nov 2020
In reply to hang_about:

I was the passenger,  I did once got stopped by Mr Plod for mooning out of the window whilst driving but that's another story. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...