6 music schedule, how's it affected you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ardo 20 Mar 2019

Has the new line up affected your listening habits?

Mine have changed a lot, in order to avoid Mary-Anne Hobbs I often don't listen in a morning, putting Radio 3 or something from the iPlayer/Sounds app on instead. These tend to start on and I forget that it is safe to recommence listening at 1300. Much less Lauren and Keaveny, much more Petersen, Nemone and Ravenscroft.

Mike-W-99 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I only listen 7-730 in the morning so Keavney getting an afternoon slot is fine by me. I then occasionally listen after 4 so again miss him.

If only I could find a way to get rid of Gilles peterson on saturdays now.

Post edited at 13:52
In reply to Ardo:

> Has the new line up affected your listening habits?

Yes

> Mine have changed a lot, in order to avoid Mary-Anne Hobbs I often don't listen in a morning, putting Radio 3 or something from the iPlayer/Sounds app on instead. These tend to start on and I forget that it is safe to recommence listening at 1300. Much less Lauren and Keaveny, much more Petersen, Nemone and Ravenscroft.

Can't stand Mary-Anne Hobbs.    

How can someone that works as a DJ sound like she's struggling to stay awake all the time.  

She just sounds so painfully lethargic and uninterested and not a million miles away from sounding like a bored Brian Cox.

She's also taken up the Jo Whiley mantle of being sycophantic about everything being so so so good and fantastic.

OP Ardo 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Don't mind Keaveny, but only if he happens to be on, as opposed to making sure I catch his show. Lauren being on earlier makes me feel as if the day is racing away from me.

However, Gilles Peterson's show is a broad and deep treasure chest and you either don't like music or are a cloth eared buffoon, m'lud.

OP Ardo 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Can't stand Mary-Anne Hobbs.    

Likewise.

> She's also taken up the Jo Whiley mantle of being sycophantic about everything being so so so good and fantastic.

It's the trying to sound 'down with kids', coupled with the sycophancy, that winds me up and I just switch off.

Durbs 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I may be in the minority, but I miss Shaun in the morning. Lauren's great still, and plays good music, but it doesn't feel like morning radio... 

M-A H, I like her voice... It's the antithesis of shouty Radio-1/Captial breakfast crews. 

Equally I can't stand Radcliffe, and generally don't like his taste in music either but he seems to be on at least twice a day, if not more.

deepsoup 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Durbs:

I'm with you - always enjoyed the refreshingly downbeat tone of Keaveny's breakfast show.  Early morning radio is usually *way* too perky.  I like Lauren very much though, so it's all good.

I'm not a huge fan of MAH, but I do think TWS & Ardo are being a little unfair, she isn't sychophantic, she's enthusiastic.

The undoubted jewel in the crown of R6 Music remains Iggy's 'Confidential' show on a Friday night though.  Oddly enough I find it almost impossible to listen to live on the radio, but I always download it to listen to whilst driving.  He's just got better and better over time, even though he occasionally plays something absolutely unlistenable - the price you pay for having someone, incredibly, who plays a more diverse range of different stuff than even the late lamented John Peel did. 

(Speaking of whom - Tom Ravenscroft is ace.  I'm sure his old man was very proud of the lad, and I think he would be even more so now.)

Post edited at 17:56
 gethin_allen 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

My main listening used to be with Lauren and then the Rad Mac show. I find Laurens music style a bit too up beat for 7:30 and I really miss the rad mac show now that I only get to listen to it on catchup.

I agree entirely agree with your stance on Mary-anne hobbs, her super chilled style just doesn't do it for me.

I'm also not a fan of Giles Peterson, it all gets a bit too cool for school and abstract for the sake of it.

My fave show is still Marc Riley 7-9 pm, always top quality sessions and loads of them. And to add to that he throws in some real curve-balls because he doesn't really care what people think about him enjoying the odd Queen song or Britney Spears Toxic.

Hooo 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> If only I could find a way to get rid of Gilles peterson on saturdays now.

Me too. I generally last about three tunes and then break down with a "Oh FFS I can't stand any more of this" and it's over to Radio 3 for the rest of the day. The one plus point of turning over this early is that I don't have to hear a single second of Craig f*cking Charles' moronic whooping.

BelleVedere 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

It's made my life much better - quite like LL - but always (since the breeze bloc days) been a lover of MAH - so my mornings are basically ace. 

It all goes a bit (knowingly!) dad rock in the afternoons - which is OK.

The girls seem to be bringing more new and challenging music - which is kinda the point of 6 music for me.   

Happy daze

BelleVedere 20 Mar 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

> (Speaking of whom - Tom Ravenscroft is ace.  I'm sure his old man was very proud of the lad, and I think he would be even more so now.)

Agree - after MAH he's probably the DJ who i find most new tunes i like from

cragtyke 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I'm not keen on keavney, Lard has always been good, but I think Gideon Coe's show is really good for an interesting and diverse mix of old and new.

In reply to Ardo:

I was very pleased to pick up that Radcliffe & Maconie now occupy the weekend morning slot. I was a huge fan of the evening show then the afternoon slot but recent changes meant I missed them - whereas the new slot fits.

+1 for Tom Ravenscroft - carrying on a great tradition.

Post edited at 21:00
 r0b 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I mostly listen on catch up but it's been good for me as MAH is my favourite DJ and there is now more of her than I have time to listen to. Pretty much every album I've bought in the last couple of years I've first heard on her show.

I like Lauren too, Chris Hawkins is very underrated imho as is Gideon Coe.

ianstevens 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

> Me too. I generally last about three tunes and then break down with a "Oh FFS I can't stand any more of this" and it's over to Radio 3 for the rest of the day. The one plus point of turning over this early is that I don't have to hear a single second of Craig f*cking Charles' moronic whooping.

Blasphemy, Craig Charles is great

Mike-W-99 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

> However, Gilles Peterson's show is a broad and deep treasure chest and you either don't like music or are a cloth eared buffoon, m'lud.

Can't stand him and nearly threw the radio out the window when he was promoting his love of jazz and how it was ok to like it now. Vomit inducing stuff.

And in a round about way, I really like the Huey show. Nice mix of music and a pleasant voice for the radio.

Anyone else noticed that the daytime playlist has got a lot more "mainstream".

hbeevers 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I only use catch up. Must say though, Cillian Murphy is great standing in for Guy Garvey (who was also good). Iggy Pop and Cerys Mathews are fantastic too.

Am I the only one who can't stand Tom Waits though? They're always playing him yet I'm always hating it...

deepsoup 20 Mar 2019
In reply to hbeevers:

> Am I the only one who can't stand Tom Waits though?

Yup.  Sorry about that, but it's just you.

Blue Straggler 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I’ve grown to tolerate Hobbs after years of despising her. It’s a bit of an attrition thing and I still cannot bear her false laugh at the end of everything but I have to hand it to her, she plays good tunes. Laverne is perfect for the “breakfast” show. Oddly I find myself not liking so much of what she plays yet liking the fact that it’s being played. RadMac weekend mornings is good. Chris Hawkins early morning is an absolute drip to be filed alongside Ravenscroft. At least the latter plays good tunes. Coe is probably the best although I admit I don’t listen to enough Iggy. Used to hate Huey but I’ve warmed to him similarly to how I’ve warmed to Hobbs. Huey suits the slot, I think of it as the equivalent to Jonathan Ross on Radio 2 in the same time slot years ago. Cillian Murphy is terrible. Cerys nice talking to interesting guests but her music is all just embarrassing twee niche UK folk and samey African music. Lamacq should be put out to pasture. Against my instincts I really like Amy Lame. Have not heard Keaveney in the afternoon yet 

Mike-W-99 20 Mar 2019
In reply to hbeevers:

I like Guy, maybe not always like the music but he is a great presenter.

Mike-W-99 21 Mar 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Cant stand Hawkins either but at 7am he plays two tracks which is long enough to not have to listen to him. I thought I'd like Iggy but to be honest he's very predictable and to be honest a bit boring. Don't really connect to much of the music he plays (I can't stand the sleaford mods).

Post edited at 00:01
 neilh 21 Mar 2019

Cillan Murphy should be taken off immediately. He had no idea. 

I am not a fan of Ravenscroft who obviously got the position because of his Dad. I hate things like that. 

Still not sure about LL in the morning  .always liked MAH .

Miss The 2 marks on weekday pms 

OP Ardo 21 Mar 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

We'll have to agree to disagree about GP, (even though you're wrong , though I do like Huey. Saturday would be a pretty much perfect radio day for me, now MAH has moved, but I'll either be climbing or walking normally. C'est la vie.

OP Ardo 21 Mar 2019
In reply to BelleVedere:

> The girls seem to be bringing more new and challenging music - which is kinda the point of 6 music for me.   

It seems to come and go in my listening experience and doesn't appear to be related to the DJ, certainly during daytime. Be interesting to see what input the DJs have over the playlist. Feels to me there's a ~80/20 split between the list and their own choices, again during the daytime.

Blue Straggler 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I’d go along with that playlisting estimate for daytime 

In reply to hbeevers:

Cerys' Blues show on the Monday Radio 2 9 o'clock slot is brilliant. She has gone back to more blues roots rather than modern copyists which is great. 

Max factor 22 Mar 2019
In reply to BelleVedere:

Well this one is proving divisive! 

Like M AH for her music selection. Ditto Giles P,  Iggy and Tom Ravenscroft.

Keavney, and to a lesser degree Radcliffe and McConie grate; I find them too fond of the sound of their own voices which gets in the way of the music. Similarly for the other Mark, but at least his show's  playlist had got some edge.

Wimlands 23 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I’m missing Keaveny. Who’d have thought it....

Craig Charles and Cery Matthews I enjoy. Despite Cery’s keenness for Balkan brass bands and having to play a compulsory Jimi/Bob track every week.

Blue Straggler 23 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

Damon Albarn and Paul Simonon sitting in for Iggy Pop last night, were superb. The only “banter” was entirely about the records they were playing and was kept minimal yet their personalities nonetheless came through a little bit and you could really sense a passion for the records 

Tobes 23 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

The thing I find with MAH is she often sounds like half her brain is thinking 'did I leave the gas on and front door unlocked' whilst presenting her shows. However she is the only 6music DJ I've ever heard play The Mars Volta so for that she's alright in my book (and members of Killing Joke seem to have a soft spot for her so I'm too scared to criticise her in public for fear of being hunted down!)   

LL is on simultaneously in the mornings with R4's Desert Island Discs and her morning show - which is a bit too much for me. I preferred Keavney in the mornings. Could listen to Rad Mack all day long and can't listen to a second of Craig Charles regardless of what time he's on....FUUUUUNNNNKKKK and ssssooooooUUUULLLLLLLLL!!!!!! ffs it's the same 20 (cover) songs done by some 20 piece hipster band from Saarf London - oh look an upbeat trombone version of 'love will tear us apart' how ironic - 

russellcampbell 23 Mar 2019
In reply to hbeevers:

I love Tom Waits. I have 2 hill walking pals, one of whom also loves Tom Waits and one who, like you, can't stand him. He is certainly an acquired taste.

Blue Straggler 24 Mar 2019
In reply to Tobes:

Very harsh on Craig Charles. I too don’t like the style of music he plays so I don’t listen , but I am glad that 6Music gives it airtime. Ditto Gilles Petersen. Basically Saturday afternoon and evening are no-go zones for me 

Hooo 24 Mar 2019

I don't think that's harsh, Craig Charles is unbearable. While I'm not a great fan of that sort of music, I find it mostly tolerable and an occasional good tune. I'd be fine listening to the show if it wasn't for him.

Giles Peterson on the other hand seems really sound and I wish I could enjoy his show, it's just that the music he plays makes me want to smash the radio.

In reply to Hooo:

It takes all sorts doesn't it, I love the music Craig Charles plays, and enjoy his enthusiasm for it. I can imagine that if you don't like funk and soul then his enthusiasm would grate.

Used to find MAH annoying, but she is winning me over with her interesting musical taste.

Sean keaveny's down beat tone was starting to wear me down on his morning show but he seems to have changed a bit for the better in afternoons.

I have always enjoyed Rad Mac's comedy and banter that they have between themselves and with guests, but some I work with find it really annoying. Obviously they are wrong.

For the music I think Marc Riley and Gideon Coe play the best new and old music and have been where I have made the most of my favourite discoveries over the last few years.

I don't like everything 6 does and plays, but overall it is a treasure that has reinvigorated my love of music over the last 15 years. Having until then only listened to music on 1 or 2 and realising I was too old for the former and not old enough for the later. 

Tobes 24 Mar 2019

Yer think that’s harsh? Back in the day one of his fellow DJ’s (on 6music now on R2 I think) used to refer to him as ‘crackin’ Craig live on air when talking about the days schedule, which is meant to be taken the way it’s interpreted. 

True-good that 6music cover a variety of music-just as some might hate the freak (and freakier) zone I don’t care much for faux cheeryness and lightweight funk and soul covers (of covers of covers). 

In reply to Tobes:

Yep, still think it's a bit harsh, you think it's faux cheeriness, to me it comes across as enthusiasm and passion for the music. 

I remember being irritated and amused (not in a good way) by Tim Westwood when he was doing his radio 1 Saturday night rap show, maybe that was because his enthusiasm came across to me as fake, because I didn't share his passion for most of the music he was playing.

As i said above each to his own.

In reply to Tobes:

I think your first paragraph could be a drugs reference? I don't know about that, but if you are going to sensor your musical taste based on a DJ/musicians consumption of legal or ilegal drugs you are going to end up listening to an awful lot of cliff Richard.

Blue Straggler 24 Mar 2019
In reply to mountain.martin:

> I think your first paragraph could be a drugs reference? 

I have no idea what he meant. Maybe something about “cracking one off” ?

planetmarshall 24 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

> Has the new line up affected your listening habits?

Apart from the inexplicable removal of Radcliffe and Maconie from the weekday schedules, not at all. As I listen to internet radio, I just listen in whatever order I please.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Can't stand him and nearly threw the radio out the window...

No you didn't.

Hooo 24 Mar 2019

> I have always enjoyed Rad Mac's comedy and banter that they have between themselves and with guests, but some I work with find it really annoying. Obviously they are wrong.

Actually, I think you'll find they are right. Annoying drivel that recalls the bad old days of having to listen to Radio 1 at work. It's like listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon. 6 is supposed to be about music, not DJs bantering! They never play anything interesting, the rare times they actually shut up and play a record it's something you've heard a thousand times before.

> For the music I think Marc Riley and Gideon Coe play the best new and old music and have been where I have made the most of my favourite discoveries over the last few years.

Agree

> I don't like everything 6 does and plays, but overall it is a treasure that has reinvigorated my love of music over the last 15 years. Having until then only listened to music on 1 or 2 and realising I was too old for the former and not old enough for the later. 

Agree

Mike-W-99 24 Mar 2019
In reply to planetmarshall:

> No you didn't.

figure of speech - a word or phrase used in a non-literal sense for rhetorical or vivid effect.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

> figure of speech - a word or phrase used in a non-literal sense for rhetorical or vivid effect.

Not really. A figure of speech usually has a different meaning from its literal definition, not just a non-literal one - eg "Now the cat's out of the bag", which has nothing to do with cats or bags. Your phrase would be more accurately described as hyperbole.

Wimlands 24 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

If it wasn’t for Craig Charles’s show I wouldn’t have heard Sharon Jones and the Dap kings....Currently playing JP Bimini and the black belts...I like him and he plays a good variety of music. you can’t have 24/7 indie guitar bands

Nevis-the-cat 24 Mar 2019

Mary Anne Hobbs sounds like a bad hypnotist. 

Plays some half decent music but the winsome earth mother breathless thing is irritating. 

OP Ardo 25 Mar 2019

Heard the advert for it, but didn't catch the show, so one for the Sounds app.

Flinticus 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

Exactly. She can't talk like that at home?

Listening to LL now. Playing 'Supernature'. That's a fine tune for my morning. And more & more apt

'Maybe nature has a plan to control the ways of man
He must start from scratch again many battles he must win
Till he earns his place on earth like the other creatures do
Will there be a happy end, now that all depends on you'

Post edited at 09:31
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

> Mary Anne Hobbs sounds like a bad hypnotist. 

> Plays some half decent music but the winsome earth mother breathless thing is irritating. 

Exactly the thing I was alluding to but couldn't find such eloquence of phrase.

Mike Stretford 25 Mar 2019

She always sounds like she has a cold to me.

Blue Straggler 25 Mar 2019

I like how everyone has a different thing to hate about Mary-Anne Hobbs' presenting style! For me it's that little chuckle she does at the end of EVERY SINGLE THING SHE SAYS

Mick B 25 Mar 2019

I actually think she's toned it down a bit since she was on at the weekends.  Maybe someone's had a word.

Once you can past her schtick I do think she plays some excellent music.

Blue Straggler 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Mick B:

> I actually think she's toned it down a bit since she was on at the weekends.  Maybe someone's had a word.

I agree but wasn’t sure it wasn’t simply me caving in!

Still I marvel at how she’s maintained a career in broadcasting, from initially basically just being known for being Miles Hunt’s first wife. Sure she’s intelligent and independent and all, but just not great at broadcasting IMHO 

Post edited at 20:00
 jasonC abroad 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

> It's like listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon.

It's very harsh to compare anyone to Steve Wright, a total toad of a person, though I actually quite like the toads I find in my allotment

Post edited at 21:34
 jasonC abroad 25 Mar 2019

Not a big fan of Tim Westwood, he gets a lot of flak, but when I was young (early 80s), he was playing early hip hop on pirate radio stations, just for the love of it, heard some great tunes on his shows.

Nevis-the-cat 25 Mar 2019
In reply to jasonC abroad:

I think someone should be paid to stand behind Steve Wright, and punch the f*cker in the head everytime he says "serious jocking".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...