1980s post-punk band The Florists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 06 Mar 2020

Hi, listening to BBC Radio 6Music on Wednesday night I heard some 1983 Peel session songs by a band called The Florists, really good sort of clever post-punk, with elements of Young Marble Giants but more indie-pop and lively than that. 

They are proving very difficult to look up on the Internet which keeps flooding the results with other bands like Florist, or The Flowers. 

Does anyone know much about this band?

aln 06 Mar 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Hmm... 6music Peel session from 83 is exactly my thing....never heard of them.

In reply to aln:

The Peel session is on YouTube. It was in Gideon Coe on Wednesday , maybe if I listen to the show he might say something about them 

pasbury 06 Mar 2020

While I can't help you at all with information about this band; who sound quite interesting I do think it's very refreshing that some things are still hard to find out and can't be solved with a simple Google.

I guess back issues of NME, Sounds and Melody Maker would be the way to go.

aln 06 Mar 2020

Gideon Coe.... I love his show. Have you tried contacting him and asking?

In reply to pasbury:

It’s why the band Chvrches are named Chvrches 

In reply to aln:

> Gideon Coe.... I love his show. Have you tried contacting him and asking?

It would be rude to do so before listening back to his show properly ! 😃

Siward 07 Mar 2020
In reply to pasbury:

In this sort of situation, asking Stuart Maconie is often the way to go...

louiswain 07 Mar 2020

The Florists didn't make any records. There's a interview with Lawrence Diagram where he briefly mentions them:

LD: I did a Peel Session as The Florists, remember.

JT: That was a band, or just you?

LD: No, it was a band. It was Stef, wasn't it. It was Mike, I've forgotten his surname.

AD: He's married to Kath from Dislocation Dance - Kathryn Way's husband. A photographer.

LD: But he's a really imaginative songwriter, and a multi-instrumentalist as well. And we morphed then into Macho Men Crack Under Pressure, which I always thought was a brilliant name for a band. And that was getting better actually. But then I think it was around then I decided, I dunno, I think I decided I'd had enough of pretending to be a musician.

https://www.ltmrecordings.com/diagram_brothers.html

I'm in contact with  a guy who is currently researching the Manchester Musicians' Collective - I'll drop him a line and see what he has to say.

Post edited at 09:15
 steveriley 07 Mar 2020

The Diagram Brothers! We are all animals! Bricks! And who could forget ‘I didn’t get where I am today by being a right git’. Marvellous 😀

In reply to louiswain:

Thanks very much! I shall have to tape the Peel session off YouTube. Your post has definitely made me want to listen to the radio show again to see what, if anything, Gideon Coe says 

In reply to louiswain:

Also a fantastic interview, I have only skim read it so far. I had never heard of The Diagram Brothers either but am very intrigued now! Thanks 

> Your post has definitely made me want to listen to the radio show again to see what, if anything, Gideon Coe says 

He didn't say anything about them aside from referencing that it was their only Peel session and it was in 1983! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...