Wintour's Leap - the quarry gate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Sewards 20 Oct 2019

Wintour's Leap

Hi all

Just to let everyone know, unfortunately the keypad lock on the entrance to the quarry at Wintour's Leap seems to have seized up  - we will try to get it fixed as soon as possible (I thought a bit of WD40 had done the trick yesterday but sadly it seems some repairs are needed!).  This means that you will have to use one of the other approaches in the short term (The Easy Way down, the Lancaut path via the chapel or the path from the South that leads underneath the Forbidden Wall and Fly Wall).  I'm just going to put a notice up now, and will post again when it's back working - I'll also let you know if the code has changed.

In the meantime, please don't damage the fencing or attempt to enter through the neighbouring garden, as that could risk what has so far been a successful arrangement.

Many thanks

Rick

BC Wye Valley Access Rep

Dell 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Wd40 on locks, not the best thing. Got any graphite spray or 3-in-1? 

Graeme Hammond 21 Oct 2019

Don't go to the Wye valley very often but went recently and was able to find the code online and use the gate, really great work. Thanks

Reach>Talent 21 Oct 2019

WD40 is quite good for seizing locks, I would suggest a graphite based lubricant for locks but if it is well WD40'd it may need a soak in something first. 

pasbury 21 Oct 2019

Thanks for keeping this fragile access arrangement viable.

bpmclimb 26 Oct 2019

Hi Rick. Is the gate operational again now?

Thanks, Brian

OP Rick Sewards 27 Oct 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Hi Brian, not yet no sorry - will post when it's fixed. Apparently it sometimes works, so you can give it a try, but importantly if it doesn't work then please use one of the other established points rather than trying  to circumvent the gate somehow (this is directed at everyone reading, not you Brian)

Rick

Post edited at 10:10
Removed User 27 Oct 2019

Just been up to look. I tried it four times and it worked OK three times out of the four. Same number.

John

bpmclimb 28 Oct 2019

Thanks.

OP Rick Sewards 10 Nov 2019

Hi all

Just to let you know there will be a temporary complete closure of the gate from today for the combination lock to be repaired or replaced - it will be replaced for the moment by a chain and padlock. This is only a temporary arrangement (and it's all probably pretty wet at the moment anyway!) but please don't try to climb over or circumvent the gate - please use one of the other approaches to Wintour's Leap for the time being.  I've placed a crude handwritten notice on site (sorry, printer ran out of ink!).  I will let you know on this forum when the combination lock is restored, and whether the combination has changed.

John - sorry for not replying, I missed your post. You're right that it sometimes worked, but it was unreliable and seemed to be getting worse.  Hopefully this should sort it out

Cheers

Rick

OP Rick Sewards 05 Dec 2019

Hi all

The combination lock has been fixed with the same combination as before and the chain and padlock removed.  It's not completely right yet unfortunately - the keypad works fine and the gate can be opened, but sometimes the bolt doesn't spring back into the locked position.  If this happens, to lock the gate you need to close the gate, enter the code again and turn the handle back to lock it - please don't skip this for the sake of a few seconds, as it could cause access problems if we don't keep the gate locked.  I'm hoping to get this sorted as soon as possible.

Thanks

Rick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...