Vivvian Quarry Llanberis Closed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elfyn Jones 26 Nov 2020

Vivian Quarry

A very major rockfall has occured, belived to be in the vicinity of the Comes the Dervish area.  It's not yet know what the extent of this rockfall is or which routes have been damaged (destroyed even?). Gwynedd Council, who own and manage the site as part of the Padarn Country Park have informed the BMC that they have closed the whole site for the forseeable future and no access is currently allowed to any part or level of the Vivian Quarry for any purpose. 

I'll update the info on the BMC RAD when we get further information. 

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/View.aspx?id=1030

Thanks

Elfyn Jones 

BMC Acces & Conservation Offcier (Wales)

Paul Evans 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Oh bugger....thanks for the update Elfyn. 

Paul

Sean Kelly 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

'Gone the Dervish' anyone?

Tigger 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Thanks again Elfyn, I wonder if its the preched blocks that form the arete of Last Tango?

Paul Sagar 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Noooooooo! Comes The Dervish was in my top 5 "must do" routes for 2021!

Ceiriog Chris 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Yes, watched an impressive video of it this morning of faceclub

Rory Shaw 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Tigger:

It looks like it is the Arete to the left of Nostromo wall, likely that access to the Dervish slab will prove very tricky/dangerous if the quarry reopens.

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

To illustrate the situation!!!

Tyler 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Oh my, that's a lot of damage! The Hong Jagged Route of Death is no more and the bad step looks a lot worse

craig h 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

That's a big rockfall, looks as if Comes The Dervish has managed to escape though. Access may be a tad loose though.

Post edited at 16:29
 TomYoung 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Would anyone like to draw some topo style lines onto that photo to illustrate which routes have been affected? I've never climbed in the slate quarries but would like to in the future and am wondering if any of the routes I've heard of have been changed :P

deacondeacon 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Wow. Wonder if Gin Palace has survived

Andy Moles 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Wow, we were standing at the top of that just the other day and thinking the crack looked freshly widened. Guess it was!

Andy Moles 26 Nov 2020
In reply to TomYoung:

Looks like everything right of Nostromo (E4 6b) on that tier is unaffected, though Menopausal Discharge (8a+) may now be quite close to an arete.

FactorXXX 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Moles:

> Wow, we were standing at the top of that just the other day and thinking the crack looked freshly widened. Guess it was!

The straw that broke the camels back? .🐫

Luke90 26 Nov 2020
In reply to TomYoung:

I can't be bothered to draw anything, but it looks to me like Nostromo (E4 6b) is gone and Menopausal Discharge (8a+) is now an arete (and probably also partly missing).

As far as I can see, the next routes right are still present (Young and Easy Under the Apple Boughs (E4 6a) and Colditz (7b+)). I could be wrong about any of that though. I'm not a local expert, I'm just looking at the guide. Obviously lower tiers are going to be damaged as well.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by Andy

Post edited at 18:24
 Andy Moles 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Luke90:

It also looks like everything on the lower tier from Fat Lad Exam Failure (E6 6b) to Working up a Lather (E4 6b) (about 15 routes) will have been at least partly damaged.

Andy Moles 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Rory Shaw:

Seems likely the only safe way to access the Dervish slab (without climbing another route) will be abseiling in from the little tower above Gin Palace.

Andy Moles 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Moles:

> It also looks like everything on the lower tier from Fat Lad Exam Failure (E6 6b) to Working up a Lather (E4 6b) (about 15 routes) will have been at least partly damaged.

Correction to this, looks more like 6-8 routes affected, from The Hong Jagged Route of Death to Spread 'em (E4 5c).

Post edited at 08:23
 Rory Shaw 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Andy Moles:

How long till the right side of last tango in Paris slides off...

That will be a sad day

Tigger 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Rory Shaw:

I'm not sure, I've always felt that the arete on Last tango felt like a bit out of keeping with the route, ot the blocks went it might still be climbable at a similar grade. Though it would perhapse need a bolt placing to make up for the lack of protection currently provided by the blocks of it were to be kept at a similar grade.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...