Troy Quarry - Access Barred?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fergsmc 20 Aug 2019

I went to Troy Quarry for the first time this evening but couldn't work out if access was banned. There were LOTS of what looked like very recent big  'Private - Do Not Enter', 'Don't Swim Here or You'll Die', 'Live Blasting, You'll Get Killed if You Come Anywhere Near Here' and other such like signs on the gate and walls in the car park. There was also a big sign under a yellow (speed type) camera thingy just before the entrance saying, 'No Overnight Parking....lots of fines...blah blah blah...'

Not having been before I wasn't sure of the route in etc. (I wasn't even sure I was in the right place!). I thought better of trying it just in case and drove over to Brownstones (which I had to myself, just as well as I was embarrassing, even the midges were ashamed to come near me). 

Having come home and looked on t'interwebs I see there are at least two quarries side by side. Should I have ignored the signs or is something afoot? Is this Peaky Blinders fault?

Sorry I only thought about taking photos on my phone half way to Bolton.

sn 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Fergsmc:

Those signs have been there for some time, but I think refer to quarries further up the big tarmac road - For Troy quarry, you turn right not far along this road up a gravel track. Certainly no ban as far as I'm aware. Was last there a week and a half ago, and there were plenty of other climbers there.

OP Fergsmc 21 Aug 2019
In reply to sn:

Thanks SN! Good news. I'm assuming its ok to park in the little car park?

Gavin 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Fergsmc:

Yes, park in the area next to the 'speed camera' and then walk 200m along the road to the gates on the RHS.  Take the path that's recently been improved with new stones at 90deg to the road past the big oak tree and not the track that goes off at 45deg.  You'll find Troy quarry at the top of this.

OP Fergsmc 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Gavin:

Cheers Gavin, much appreciated.

Albert Tatlock 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Fergsmc:

Went today, loved the home made speed camera with cardboard lenses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...