Tremadog: rockfall and changes!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elfyn Jones 14 Jun 2019

Craig Bwlch y Moch (Tremadog)Shadrach (VS 4c)

Shadrach and The Brothers - both classic Tremadog VS's are sadly no more... Due to the highly unstable nature of the pinnacle and surrounding blocks,  and the fact that even a falling or belayed climber on these blocks, could have caused them to fall, the BMC had no choice but to commission professional expertise to remove these blocks today.  The act of removing the pinnacle (some 30 tons in weight), as expected also removed the 100 ton pinnacle that made up the first chimney pitches of Shadrach and The Brothers.  In a complex and well organised tightly managed exercise, involving shutting the highway and cordoning off the crag, a total of over 150 tons of rock fell from the crag, also taking out some large trees.  While the initial huge blocks are now safely and in large pieces on the ground, considerable loose rock and debris remains on this part of the crag.

Until a further day of work can be arranged to clear off the remaining debris (which will be very soon), climbers are asked not to climb Grim Wall, Meschach, the remains of Shadrach and the Brothers or any other routes in this area.  The informal parking area at the base of the crag has also been cordoned for the time being. 

More info will be produced soon (including photos and videos!) also explaining the thought process and reasoning for taking this drastic action. 

BMC wants to thank Colin Jones Engineering for their professional expertise and the small number of BMC volunteers who helped on the day  to make this difficult task safe. 

More info on the BMC Website https://www.thebmc.co.uk/tremadog-rockfall-big-changes

Elfyn Jones

BMC Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)

Post edited at 17:31
 jonny taylor 14 Jun 2019
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

Good work. I hope somebody took some video!

geoff b 14 Jun 2019

150 tons?! Now, that's what I call a 'trundle' dude.

toad 14 Jun 2019
In reply to Elfyn Jones:

I'd have bought a ticket to watch that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...