Tintern quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 22 Apr 2019

Has anyone been to Tintern Quarry recently?

Have you been asked to leave or is it's fairly okay now?

Are the bolts still in good condition, I was thinking of the upper red dust wall?

luke glaister 22 Apr 2019
In reply to springfall2008:

Not very recent but we got moved on last August.  Never even made the quarry.  Walking in about 30 meters to the entrance and a pick up pulled over and made it clear that climbing was banned. We lucky had redpointed out route the week before so was going back to find a new project.  The Dead Vei (7a+) is well worth some effort on that wall.

Bolts were all good. 

Post edited at 23:14
 bpmclimb 24 Apr 2019

It appears from the Latest Ascents on the crag page that people are climbing there fairly regularly (a handful of logged ascents on different days since mid-March). I haven't tried climbing there for a while, but I've looked around the quarry while out walking a few times (midweek) and all has seemed quiet.

richardr 25 Apr 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

This is good to know. I was wondering how banned the place is. 

Anoetic 25 Apr 2019
In reply to richardr:

Been there a few times, just moved on if asked with no problems...

steveanthony 25 Apr 2019
In reply to richardr:

I climbed there quite a bit in March, did the climbs on the red wall section. Bolts were fine. No problems with being moved on but it was during the week

Garrouli 06 May 2019

We were at Tintern on Sat climbing on the red dust wall. A guy appeared and told us that we had no right to be there and that we should leave. We promptly packed up and did as asked. 

Seems that it's best to give it a miss at the weekends. 

In reply to Garrouli:

Did he actually hang around to check you had left? I'd almost be tempted to ignore them and wait and see.

Garrouli 07 May 2019

No, we left straight afterwards, didn't want to rock the boat. 

But he disappeared after telling us to go - he didn't wait around for us to strip the route and get down. Could have stayed but it all seems a bit less enjoyable with the thought he map reappear at some point.

Has ownership of the quarry changed? Used to go down there own a regular basis some years ago and never had any issues.

In reply to Garrouli:

I'm not aware of it changing, just that they started being a bit more awkward than before.

It's an interesting one as Trespass in this case is a civil matter, and without any damages to seek there isn't much they can actually do other than bug people. If they really wanted to stop climbers they might think about putting in a good fence, so I really don't understand why they even bother.

GridNorth 08 May 2019

I think access to most quarries in the UK is dubious at best as they are mostly privately owned and in many cases by mining companies who have legal obligations to protect the public. It's just that some take their obligations more serious than others. Personally I dislike climbing is areas where some of my attention is distracted by wondering if I'm going to be asked to leave as one or two times I have experienced quite aggressive behavior on the part of those doing the policing. It's well to remember that many of these quarries have had notices placed and fences erected and climbers have just ignored or, worse, destroyed these.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...