The Peak District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AukWalk 18 Jul 2022

It's unclear how 'official' this is and exactly what the decision making process considered, but the Peak District National Park Authority appears to have closed all access land:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-m...

https://twitter.com/peakdistrict/status/1548957284818092034?s=20&t=5w_3...

https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/frequently-asked-questions/faqs-wi...

The website implies it's for today and tomorrow, unclear though as it doesn't appear on the Natural England Access Land website yet. 

In reply to AukWalk:

I want to be annoyed, but based on the number of moorland fires we've had here so far this year, unfortunately I don't think we deserve nice things and this is probably for the best

ebdon 18 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

I tried to raise some righteous indignation about this but I'm just too dam hot.

nigel n 18 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

To quote from a message I received at work today:

"England is forecast as having its Fire Severity Index raised to Exceptional tomorrow. When we reach this stage, the open access element of access land is automatically suspended, although people are still free to use public rights of way. What this means, for example, is that you’d be fine to go up Grindsbrook or Jacob’s ladder, but the route along the edge connecting the two shouldn’t be used as it isn’t an officially recognised footpath. This is to try and minimise the fire risk, especially in difficult to access locations. The Peak District National Park will not be physically closing any access points or putting up signs, as it’s only forecast to be this level for 1 day, but instead we will be trying to spread the message through social media and online."

So, no big deal!

TobyA 18 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

I just walked up to the little reservoir on Big Moor to swim, no signs on the gate at the road, and plenty of other swimmers there. But it is a bridleway that takes you up which I guess they can't close even if they 'close' the open access land?

ebdon 18 Jul 2022
In reply to TobyA:

I guess it's the message as much as anything. Theres clearly no way the PDNP could physically impose this in practice, unless they got the derbyshire police covid drone squad on the case!

Adam Long 18 Jul 2022
In reply to nigel n:

>as it’s only forecast to be this level for 1 day,

Was that from an offical source Nigel?

It's unclear whether this will be revoked as soon as temps drop or if it is dependent on rain.

There are lots of Peak crags affected including shady spots like some of the Water-cum-Jolly crags. But presumably if they are not even putting up signs a common sense approach can be taken?

nigel n 18 Jul 2022
In reply to Adam Long:

The quote is from a message sent by one of the Park's field staff.  As far as I know the FSI relates to the likely severity of a fire rather than the likelihood of a fire starting.  As the index is lower from Wednesday onwards the "closure" should only apply for one day.  I dont think WCJ is actually access land although many of the crags upriver would theoretically be affected - as you say a common sense approach should be OK.

LadyMargaret 18 Jul 2022
In reply to Adam Long:

My understanding is that the suspension of access rights onto CROW land is a result of a legal directive which requires it when the Fire Severity Index being at exceptional level, and I've been told it is automatically revoked when the FSI falls. No idea if this is specific to the Peak or CROW-wide.

So guess whether it is revoked with the temperature or with rain will depend on exactly how that's calculated? Have ago at working it out here:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/fire-severity-index/

1 day sounds like a good educated guess based on the heatwave ending Tuesday evening. No chance to get signs out right across the Park and then collect them back in again in that time I guess.

The closure does not apply to public rights of way, so it's only open access rights that are suspended. That does take in a lot of grit crags, however.

Advice is - stick to paths, don't light fires or drop litter, be super vigilant for fire and call 999 if you see one.

Post edited at 14:30
 LadyMargaret 18 Jul 2022
In reply to LadyMargaret:

Excellent BMC article on it here

https://thebmc.co.uk/be-cool-in-the-heat

brianjcooper 18 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

> It's unclear how 'official' this is and exactly what the decision making process considered, but the Peak District National Park Authority appears to have closed all access land:

Sensible of them when the moors are tinder dry and cigarette ends and BBQs are discarded without thought. Frustrating, but necessary, and imposed in the past to prevent wild fires. 

OP AukWalk 18 Jul 2022
In reply to brianjcooper:

Possibly yes, and I'm not necessarily saying it was the wrong call, it may well be sensible to try and minimise risk of fires in this way during truly exceptional circumstances. However it does seem a little bit odd not to close footpaths if the risk is so extreme though (surely many places people go for bbqs etc are next to footpaths...) and if they want to actually prevent the people causing the problems with bbqs and cigarette ends etc then they'll need to do a bit more than put up some signs and post on social media literally the day it comes into effect...  Feels like another instance where the more responsible users are penalised for the sins of the less responsible, by measures which are unlikely to actually prevent the issue at hand.

Personally wouldn't be out because of the heat anyway of course! (although if I lived near a nice river or stream I might have been looking forward to spending an evening swimming or sat somewhere on access land...) 

They didn't originally make it clear that the closure was based on these pre-agreed 'FSI' figures, gives more confidence that some thought has actually gone into it. 

Post edited at 15:16
 ATL 18 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

“Feels like another instance where the more responsible users are penalised for the sins of the less responsible,”

are we talking Brexit here?

Bulls Crack 18 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

it doesn't make a lot of sense but public rights of way are covered by other legislation and so the CROW Act doesn't affect them. Highways can be closed in emergencies but there tends to be a process the  police can close them immediately if so minded but don't usually bother with paths. 

The closures are agreed between several parties including  the National Parks, Fire services , police and Natural England 

PaulJepson 18 Jul 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Chap from natural england was at bar brook this evening letting people know. 

ChrisBrooke 19 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

So, I could technically walk up the Burbage Valley path, but I can’t turn off to climb on one of the boulders…? 
Not a problem, as even I am giving the grit a break for a couple of days in these temperatures, so I don’t mind staying home. 
I really really hope the message gets through and we don’t see any disasters in the Peak. The fire at the Roaches a couple of years ago was pretty heartbreaking. I don’t want to see a repeat of that anywhere. 

PaulJepson 19 Jul 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

There's potentially some lightning on the cards today. With how brown and dry everything is, that could well set something off. 

Adam Long 19 Jul 2022

In reply:

Latest from PDNPA: "restrictions are now anticipated to remain in place for a further number of days"

OP AukWalk 20 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

They have added a bit to their Web page now, saying: "When the FSI reaches Level 5 fire prevention restrictions are activated on land vulnerable to fire. Where a fire prevention restriction is triggered, the restriction will remain in place after the FSI has dropped below 5 for a number of days, which is either when the FSI has remained below a level 3 for 3 days, or below a level 5 for 5 days. This is to allow a wind down period, ensuring that exceptional conditions have passed."

Looking at the Met Office FSI forecast it looks like most of the Peaks was 'very high' today, and will be 'low' on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Presumably means they may open it up on Sunday.

Seems there have been / are fires on Win Hill and near Crowden at the moment.

The Win Hill fire was apparently started by a gas burner: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-62231899

In reply to AukWalk:

I'm staying away for the duration even if I'm a commoner and have access rights to areas next to access land. There were fire crews on Holme Moss last night. Could smell the smoke in the house this morning. We need some rain!

PaulJepson 21 Jul 2022
In reply to Deleated bagger:

Your request has been approved.

Neil Williams 21 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

Not surprised it's one of those square Chinese canister stoves.  They are dangerous junk and should be banned.  Wouldn't be surprised if the heat caused an explosion.

OP AukWalk 24 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

According to the national park twitter most of the restrictions have now been removed:

8AM today: "Following improved conditions in recent days, the majority of recent #PeakDistrict Access Land restrictions have been lifted. Small areas in the south of the National Park may remain closed"

However, there are no details anywhere I can see if precisely which areas in the south will remain closed. Also the natural England website is still showing restrictions across the whole park, and the national park 'moorland fires' web page still has a banner about access land closure (but not the front page).

So if twitter is the authoritative communication channel then we can assume access land has been reopened, but if not then it is still closed. 

PaulJepson 24 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

Been quite lucky with the weather tbh. A nice, soft drizzle the other day to moisten the parched land and then a decent bit of rain now. Was slightly concerned there would be an epic downfall/thunder storm after the heat which would run straight off the hard ground and flood every river going.

Denning76 24 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

I think it was the right choice, even if it was basically impossible to enforce, as even getting the message out helps. We all enjoy the Peak, but we've got to look after it too rather than abusing it.

Obviously there were some fires but, to be honest, I was surprised there weren't more.

druridge 24 Jul 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

At the risk of taking this thread off piste; presumably there is a UK standard these stoves are failing to meet?

Neil Williams 24 Jul 2022
In reply to druridge:

They aren't illegal to sell, but they are very poor.

CantClimbTom 24 Jul 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

I understand and agree with the sentiment of trying to reduce fires by asking people to stick to the paths but the cynic in me notes that the people who will understand and observe this are the sensible people you need out walking over the access land to spot and report fires.The BBQ or fag end tossing tossers who we really need to ban (publicly birch?) are the very people who won't know or observe these measures.

so it may be counter productive by not affecting the idiots but reducing the eyes and ears of the sensible out there

Bulls Crack 25 Jul 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Its not really even about asking them to stay on paths - that's just a byproduct of the legislation. the system is due to be refined but stll won't affect rights of way unless other measures are implemented. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...