Standing Stones parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Beaton 15 Apr 2021

Where's the best place to park now? Last time I drove along the A635 even more laybys seemed to be blocked than pre Covid and there were new double yellows a long way up the hill leading away from Dovestones Reservoir

Tom Valentine 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Binn Green. It's actually a nice walk in , with better views of Ravenstones than you'll get from going in from the moor top.It's the only way I've ever actually approached the crag.

Post edited at 21:11
Removed User 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Not too handy for a quick hit after work though.

You can park back nearer the county border.

Post edited at 21:20
 ste_d 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Sam Beaton:

It's either Binn green or Snoopy's lay by up on the Isle of Skye road where the old Pennine way used to cross,  follow rimmon Clough down to the crag bit of heather bashing probably, if you've got dogs keep them on a lead

In reply to Removed User:

I think Sam's point is that that a lot of those parking spots have been blocked, and I didn't realise that he was talking about a a quick evening visit. 

It might be that people have to get used to the notion of putting in a bit of effort to arriving at an outdoor climbing venue and not expecting them to be all car friendly. For me, that's always been what makes the Chew different from other Peak climbing venues and I hope it continues to be the same.

In reply to ste_d:

I can't remember Snoopy's standing at the old PW crossing. What years would that have been?

Removed User 15 Apr 2021

From the Huddersfield side, Standing Stones represents one of the few relatively accessible high quality venues for after work climbing. I'd rather we dealt with cnut landowners blocking laybys myself.

Maggot 15 Apr 2021

Last time I went to Snoopy's would have been early 1990s!

i agree that blocking established laybys is wrong; I just think that if you want a quick fix session on grit the Chew crags are not your best choice. I don't think that moorland grit in general is a good after work option.

In reply to Maggot:

Ah, but where was it sited?

cragtyke 16 Apr 2021

I'm sure Snoopy's was at the Meltham junction for years, but may have then relocated to the layby near the boundary , 90's sounds about right.

But then again it may have been the other way round!

https://www.doveheritage.com/bizarre/

Post edited at 01:00
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Only time I've been there we walked in from the big parking patch on the main road at the top on the hill. It was absolutely fine in high summer but I could see it being knee deep bog any other time.

Tom Valentine 16 Apr 2021
In reply to cragtyke:

Only ever seen it at Wessenden Head/Meltham junction, the site of the old Isle of Skye Inn which gives the road its name. Someone else has a similar business there now.

George Frisby 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Now all the laybys are blocked off you have to park further along the main road at the car park here 53.5534094, -1.9249181. Then we do an unpleasant five min walk along the main rd west to where the 4*4 track takes you down to old buildings and crag. 

How are people acessing Upperwood now the big layby at the base of that crag, opposite the farm house, is double yellows now. Not sure where would be best to park apart from Binn Green and then walk up the road, but that doesn't seem that nice. 

OP Sam Beaton 16 Apr 2021

That's usually my preferred option but unfortunately we only have a couple of hours on Saturday 

So would I but I don't think anything can be done. I contacted Kirklees Council Highways about the blocked laybys at West Nab and they couldn't do anything, suspect it'd be the same on the A625

In reply to cragtyke:

Snoopys is now usually at the Wessenden Head junction and I'm not walking to Standing Stones from there!!

In reply to George Frisby:

> Now all the laybys are blocked off you have to park further along the main road at the car park here 53.5534094, -1.9249181. Then we do an unpleasant five min walk along the main rd west to where the 4*4 track takes you down to old buildings and crag. 

> How are people acessing Upperwood now the big layby at the base of that crag, opposite the farm house, is double yellows now. Not sure where would be best to park apart from Binn Green and then walk up the road, but that doesn't seem that nice. 

Cheers. Can't answer your second question though I'm afraid

Removed User 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I've had a few discussions on local Facebook groups. Seems the West Nab boulders were definitely placed there by the farmer. Mrs Crowther denied knowledge of the ones on the A635 but I'm not sure if I believe her to be honest.

Removed User 16 Apr 2021

> i agree that blocking established laybys is wrong; I just think that if you want a quick fix session on grit the Chew crags are not your best choice. I don't think that moorland grit in general is a good after work option.

Rubbish! I've had many a fine night on all the Chew crags (well except Wilderness, Charnel Stones and Ravenstones) after work from Huddersfield over the years! In the height of summer there is no finer place, with time for 3/4 classic routes if you are willing to walk down in the dusk.

ste_d 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine: I'm thinking where the old pw undefined route crossed the a635 at the big lay by part way across the moor at se 05083 06287 probably the 80s tbh 

Tom Valentine 16 Apr 2021

I didn't say it was impossible to climb in the Chew after work. I said it probably wasn't the best choice. And since you clearly don't like a long walk in after your day's work, I said that moorland grit in general is probably not as good an option as areas with crags which are more roadside in nature. I don't really see what you're disagreeing about.

Were any conclusions reached on those FB discussions about what could be done about the blocked laybys?

Removed User 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Sam Beaton:

No conclusion - It was a bit of a side issue in the discussions in a 'blazing' row about the 'benefits' of heather burning!

pec 17 Apr 2021

> How are people acessing Upperwood now the big layby at the base of that crag, opposite the farm house, is double yellows now. Not sure where would be best to park apart from Binn Green and then walk up the road, but that doesn't seem that nice. 

There are the lay-bys on the A635 below Alderman's Rocks area but its half an hour walk from there, 25 mins coming down!

You could even park as for Running Hill Pits and follow the footpaths east past Slades Rocks, Naismiths gives 35 mins for that and 25 for the return. Nicer than walking along a busy road.

Tom Valentine 17 Apr 2021
In reply to pec:

Could you give us some waymarks for your 35 min Naismiths walk from the Pits car parking to Standing Stones?

pec 17 Apr 2021

The walk in from the Running Hill Pits parking was in answer to George Frisby who was asking about parking for Upperwood Quarry, not The Standing Stones. I wouldn't walk in to the Standing stones from there!

Tom Valentine 17 Apr 2021
In reply to pec:

Sorry, my mistake. it did seem a bit of a trek....

George Frisby 19 Apr 2021
In reply to pec:

Thanks

Want to point out all the other quality outdoors climbing locations easily accessible from Huddersfield for an evening session? Or are we supposed to do Pule and Holmfirth only? Maybe with an occasional Pits visit?

Tom Valentine 19 Apr 2021
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

My first thought would be Shooter's Nab.

Then for a drive five minutes longer than that to Uppermill and you could be on Wharncliffe, add another five and you're at Agden.

I don't see the need for the sneering tone: I only said that moorland grit crags wouldn't be my first choice if I was looking for an after work venue.

You said it repeatedly in response to people pointing out it was the most convenient for them. After 15yrs of regularly using a venue to then be told 'it shouldn't be your first choice' is a bit rich. Shooters has its own access issues, Wharncliffe isn't just more than 5mins further its also a longer walkin, not really suitable for an evening. SS is cream of the local crop, by a distance

Tom Valentine 19 Apr 2021
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

If I sounded like i was laying the law down I apologise. I was only expressing an opinion about moorland grit. I do actually think you're wrong about Wharncliffe being a longer walk in than Standing Stones  and it is definitely a perfect venue for evening climbing. RAC gives Huddersfield to Deepcar as 37 minutes. If that's misleading  or inaccurate, I can only say I took the figure in good faith.

Post edited at 16:33

Hi George. I park in the layby below Upperwood despite the double yellows (which were put there by the farmer as far as I know). As a matter of keeping things cordial I have always knocked on and asked and he's always been fine with us parking there (on the uphilll end of the layby). My last visit was in February to do some ice routes in there.

As for Standing Stones, I park where the Pennine Way crosses the IoS road, walk back along the road towards Greenfield for 1/2 a mile and then take the 4WD track toward Rimmon Cottage and then the crag beyond.

George Frisby 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Cheers, will do the same if heading back to Upperwood. 

Removed User 20 Apr 2021

Where are you actually based? It's alright looking up RAC, but there's lots of nuance relating to rush hour driving that means some venues are better than others. Standing Stones is/was a good after work hit from Hudds with the originally available parking. It also represents one of the few quickly accessible non quarried venues. Wharncliffe is a fair bit further to drive so it ends up being less suitable even though it is not your hallowed 'moorland grit' brother.

Post edited at 20:57
 Tom Valentine 20 Apr 2021

I live between Barnsley and Doncaster. Since you queried the times i gave for Huddersfield -Wharncliffe I've put a few other trips into the same  route planner to see how they compare to my real life experiences. Home  to Hathersage to represent after work climbing, home to Chatsworth to represent a spell while I worked there, home to my dad's former place  in Saddleworth - and i can only say that i find it to be accurate to within 5 minutes over an hour, even allowing for a cross Sheffield trip at 4.30 pm.

I'm not trying to put anyone off climbing at Standing Stones after work and I understand that parking at the 4wd track would be the most convenient approach when it's available. Frank offers an option upthread .but it won't suit everyone.

Now that the nights are getting lighter I really think you should put the Wharncliffe trip to the test. Assuming that you park at the right place the walk in is shorter than any possible approach to Standing Stones and maybe the traffic will be kind to you . All the best.   

Post edited at 22:13
 craig h 21 Apr 2021

Standing Stones has always been a quick fix crag and apart from Den Lane and Upperwood Quarry had the shortest walk in, catches the sun for most of the day and dries quickly. Well that was before Upperwood Estate (local farmers who now release thousands of pheasants and partridge as they haven't had much success at managing the area for grouse) blocked all the lay-bys on the A635.

Parking at the Saddleworth / Kirklees boundary on the A635 gives the shortest approach, probably 25 minutes which is not too bad for the Chew Valley especially as it's mostly flat.

Wharncliffe is a bit of a wander and never gone and returned by the same route, it also must be a 20 minute walk to the closest area and due to the complex nature of the crag you'll be up and down if looking for a specific route.

Tom Valentine 21 Apr 2021
In reply to craig h:

I'm not going to quibble with someone who has produced such a stupendous collection of photography as you have. Turning Greenfield's Tesco into a work of art and most gratifying of all, to see a photo of my old village's phone box (looking rather the worse for wear).

The best thing is, I'm only up to #440 so ther's a lot more viewing pleasure to come.

Bit of a digression from the topic  ( and no doubt a bit biased  in some respects) but done with the best of intentions

Offwidth 22 Apr 2021
In reply to craig h:

There is a good short cut for the Wharncliffe approach. Immediately after the first railway tunnel there is a bench on the left side of the track. Take the path on the right, passing a quarry (with occasional seekers of unprotected steep esoterica) to reach another track near a pylon. Cross this track and take another path through a few birch then trending left up boulders to reach the normal approach path just before the first climbs.

I climbed most there during covid as there is always easy parking and no crowds. It's also surprisingly quick...if the M1 is clear, quicker for me to the base of the climbs from Nottingham than most of the Eastern edges. It can be hot in the afternoon on the Deepcar End from now, through the summer, so early morning or evening is best at this time of year (the woods give respite but they are a longer approach). It's a great winter venue as it's low altitude, in the rain-shadow of the Peak and the rocks keep climbing shoes clean from mud. Jon Fulwood has been developing a good bit of bouldering for those operating in the high 6s and 7s, there is stuff on UKB about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...