Stanage Ring Ouzels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 12 May 2020

As it's now the nesting season for Ring Ouzels does anyone know if there are any signed restricted areas , particularly at the popular end, this year?

I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty of binocular equipped birders up there from Wednesday onwards, so people will need to take great care to avoid any nest sites as in previous years.

mrphilipoldham 12 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

You've just reminded me of last year when I and a partner walked in to the very far end of Stanage North, and before we'd even put our bags down one appeared out of the heather to warn us of the signs - that we'd already spotted! She disappeared with as much mystery as she arrived. 

Michael Hood 12 May 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> and before we'd even put our bags down one appeared out of the heather to warn us of the signs - that we'd already spotted! She disappeared with as much mystery as she arrived. 

Surely the signs are there to warn you about the Ring Ouzels rather than a female Ring Ouzel warning you about the signs 😁

Kim 12 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

See brief note here

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rocktalk/heading_out_climbing_bird_restri...

There is currently a restriction at Wall End Slab.

Watch this space for further news...

OP cragtyke 13 May 2020
In reply to Kim:

Missed that, thanks.

brianjcooper 13 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

A couple of years ago, at Stanage, I heard a Ring Ouzel as we were walking towards the crag. It unashamedly approached us then actually posed for me while I took a photograph. Then turned round and disappeared into the rocks. Amazing.

Kim 16 May 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

For those of you thinking that Stanage North would be a good place to social distance (it probably is!), there's a small restriction for a pair of nesting ouzels at the far end - Crab Crawl Arete and the Vice being the two notable routes covered.

Found by UKC's own ouzeler-in-chief Rob Greenwood last night, they're already feeding chicks and should be fledging in a week or so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...