Stanage Ouzels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StockportAl 15 Apr 2021

And the Ouzels return, I was on a run along Stanage this afternoon and there were three birds clearly having a territory dispute just north of High Neb. 

zb1 15 Apr 2021
In reply to StockportAl:

Thought I might have seen one this evening right of The Sentinel (E2 5b). Not sure as I only caught it out the side of my eye.

OP StockportAl 15 Apr 2021
In reply to StockportAl:

They were on the obvious slab/block left of Right-hand Tower (HVS 5a), I'd expect if they are at Stanage then they will also have arrived at Burbage 

mrphilipoldham 15 Apr 2021
In reply to StockportAl:

Saw a solitary bird at  Pule Hill Rocks in the snow the other morning. Only passing so not sure if there’s a pair, or indeed, nest.

Sam Beaton 16 Apr 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Are there likely to be any restrictions coming in at Pule Hill due to ring ouzels do you know?

mrphilipoldham 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I doubt there'll be anything official, it's too quiet a crag. Best to keep an eye out for them before starting on any given buttress though I'd have thought. If they're nesting they'll be coming and going every few minutes so shouldn't be too difficult to spot  

Kim 16 Apr 2021
In reply to StockportAl:

Good to hear of sightings, thanks! Yes the ouzels have been arriving over the last couple of weeks, and are appearing in most of the usual places.

I've not seen any signs of nest building starting yet, so there's no ouzel restrictions in place at present, but they should be settling in and beginning anytime from now.

I don't get many records coming in away from the eastern edges, so I'd be interested to hear of any from anywhere further afield. There aren't likely to be any restrictions at Pule Hill, though mainly because I don't know of any ouzels there! I don't know the crag, but if it's fairly quiet it may not be necessary anyway. If someone local wants to keep an eye out then it would be good to know if they are there, and if they happen to nest in a busy route we can sort something out. I think a Mistle Thrush nested on the crag there last year actually.

zb1 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Kim:

Saw one really quite close on the walk down from Curbar Edge this evening. It was sat on the dry stone wall singing about 10m away from where I was stood. 

mrphilipoldham 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Kim:

I’ll call in this week and see what I can see at Pule Hill. I think it’s NT land, is there anyone to inform (if indeed it’s worth it?!) there?

In reply to Kim:

I thought I saw a ring ouzel by the trig point at Harborough Rocks on 6th April. Haven't managed to get back there for another look yet.

Kim 18 Apr 2021

> I’ll call in this week and see what I can see at Pule Hill. I think it’s NT land, is there anyone to inform (if indeed it’s worth it?!) there?

Great cheers. I don't know off-hand but can find out of necessary.

Kim 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

> I thought I saw a ring ouzel by the trig point at Harborough Rocks on 6th April. Haven't managed to get back there for another look yet.

Could well have been. There, and at that time, it would most likely be a bird stopping off on its way North. If you find one still there in the next month or two, let me know!

Michael Hood 18 Apr 2021

I went to Pule Hill on Friday, absolutely no sign of any Ring Ouzels - I went along the whole edge, the quarry and the Sentinel.

Of course I may have missed them, but if so then they were being super discrete and quiet (unlike the Stanage Ring Ouzels which are usually pretty easy to spot if you keep your eyes open) 

mrphilipoldham 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

I wonder if there's a chance it was passing through to elsewhere? It most definitely was, as my wife gave me a somewhat despondent look as I let out a shrill girly yelp at the sight (and tellingly, sound) of it! 

Tom Valentine 18 Apr 2021

>  shrill girly yelp

Good luck with that one

mrphilipoldham 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Helmet is donned.

Connor Nunns 20 Apr 2021
In reply to StockportAl:

I was at Stanage on Sunday and saw 2 of them flying near the bottom of Mississippi Buttress Direct while I was belaying.

bonebag 21 Apr 2021
In reply to StockportAl:

Saw a pair today while climbing at Crow Chin. Probably be a nest in the area soon. Plenty of Curlews around and a few Wheatears too.

Kim 23 Apr 2021

In reply to:

Thanks for the tip offs all.

First pair nest building this year are at Wall Buttress/Namenlos at  Stanage Plantation. Signs have gone up today covering that buttress.

Otherwise it is fairly quiet so far. Keep your eyes and ears peeled though as the last week in April is primetime for first nests.

Ian Broome 23 Apr 2021
In reply to Kim:

I saw a pair at Running hill pits 11th April, flying, no signs of where they were nesting.

Post edited at 15:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...