Possible new routes in Leicestershire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 12 May 2019

For those interested the roadside quarry on the way into Sapcote has been almost completely drained. So any adventurous souls may want to take a look. No idea what the access situation would be though

Michael Hood 12 May 2019
In reply to the sheep:

How deep was the water, ie how much more rock has been exposed?

OP the sheep 12 May 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

Not sure, was running when I went past so not really paying attention. At a guess 10 or 15 foot. 

I was more thinking the access to the rock would be easier as the only way in before would have been to an in

I’m not aware of any routes there so could be of interest for those fond of Leicestershire esoterica.  

philhilo 12 May 2019
In reply to the sheep:

On what road is that? Always happy to scope esoteria - it could be a new Tremadog…...possibly

OP the sheep 12 May 2019
In reply to philhilo:

It’s beside the B4669 going towards Sapcote off the B4114, 

Didnt look totally empty of water but a lot of the base/bottom was exposed 

Michael Hood 12 May 2019
In reply to the sheep:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's right by the road, but basically it used to be (talking about 20 years ago) a lake surrounded by rock and scrubb walls. Didn't look inviting at the time because of the physical access difficulties.

OP the sheep 12 May 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

That’s the one, but no more lake.

brianjcooper 12 May 2019
In reply to philhilo:

> On what road is that? Always happy to scope esoteria - it could be a new Tremadog…...possibly

And possibly as loose too. Was doing one of the 'Ruperts' years ago when a block I was hanging on to fell into the lake below. Also gave up going due to the battle through the undergrowth.   

SouthernSteve 12 May 2019
In reply to brianjcooper:

> And possibly as loose too ...  

I was walking past Whitwick quarry or whatever the new extension to the east is called last week and there was an obvious rockfall to hear. That quarry has massive long steep slabs and walls, but I wouldn't want to climb there for quite a few years.

brianjcooper 12 May 2019
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Many years ago. I 'first ascended' a route at Whitwick. Blue Streak HVS5a. Months later they filled the quarry in. Need to be a caver to do it now.  

danm 13 May 2019
In reply to brianjcooper:

Sounds like Brown Streak would have been a more appropriate name for the route?

Michael Hood 13 May 2019
In reply to danm:

Whitwick used to be a really good quarry from the climbing point of view. Worthwhile routes across the grade range all the way from about D to E5/6 (which was pretty hard at the time).

Of course from an esthetic point of view it was still just a hole in the ground.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...