Portland west coast access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what's changed over the last few years? I know there was a big landslide a few years back, and I also that there's been work on access since then. I'm familiar with the Wallsend south access, so I'm interested in anything north of there. Particular areas to avoid would be useful, if there are any, too. Thanks.

Pete Dangerous 19 Jun 2019
In reply to wurzelinzummerset:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2014/02/major_landslide_on_portland-68735

Blacknor Far South lost some ground under routes making the first bolt a lot higher and the ground underneath un-compacted, so in the wet it gets very muddy from memory going a few years ago. Access has been improved to Battleship with steps put in place and new steel rungs were put in on the descent to Blacknor South and Central where the black rope is/was. More may have happened since I last went.

Dandan 19 Jun 2019

Access to Battleship is best done via the new 'secret steps', follow the tarmac footpath from the lower end of Reap Lane, turn right at the industrial estate and follow the fence. At the cliff top turn left and walk about 50 metres to where the ground drops away a bit to find the steps, they cut back and go through a defile in the rock.
There is another path into Battleship/Veranda further south but I don't recall the details.

For Blacknor central/south/far south go down through the quarry entrance a couple of hundred metres south of the big round house on the cliff top. For Blacknor north take the route that starts about 100m north of the big round house on the cliff top, opposite the clifftop quarries. Both of these routes are largely unchanged for at least 15 years I think.

The only thing to avoid is the Northern most battleship routes as mentioned the ground has dropped away, it's pretty obvious when you walk to it from Battleship, anything past Keyboard Wall has no path below it!

Thanks for the replies, that's useful.

monkey man 20 Jun 2019

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if it is possible to walk from battleship to blacknor far south to avoid the quarry approach?

Thanks 

steve taylor 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Dandan:

> Access to Battleship is best done via the new 'secret steps', follow the tarmac footpath from the lower end of Reap Lane, turn right at the industrial estate and follow the fence. At the cliff top turn left and walk about 50 metres to where the ground drops away a bit to find the steps, they cut back and go th

Do you mean turn right?

Not been on Portland for a few years, but going left from the NW corner of the fence will take you to Wallsend.

Dandan 20 Jun 2019
In reply to steve taylor:

Do you know what you are right, I've given directions to the Wallsend North access!

The correct directions are to take the path from Reap lane just above the allotments, THEN at the cliff edge turn left and walk 50 metres before finding the secret steps, good spot!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...