Pontesford Rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 solostoke 05 Apr 2016
Hi,
I'm hoping to go and discover Pontesford Rocks near Shrewsbury soon and I'm struggling to find anything other than the pictures on here for a top.
Can someone point me in the direction of a guidebook or a pdf etc? Happy to pay/donate for it.
Thanks
 The Ivanator 05 Apr 2016
In reply to solostoke:

It's covered in the new Clywd Limestone Rockfax http://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/books/clwyd-limestone/
Also available on the Rockfax App if you don't want the whole book.
OP solostoke 05 Apr 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

Brilliant!
Didn't realise it was. Will get down to high sports and grab a copy then.
 JuanTinco 11 Apr 2016
In reply to solostoke:

I've got a PDF I can e-mail you if you want - drop me an e-mail if you haven't got the guidebook yet.

Juan
OP solostoke 12 Apr 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Thanks from the offer, I managed to get down to High Sports so just need to get out there now!
 caradoc 13 Apr 2016
In reply to solostoke:
Here is a film I made to provide a bit of info on the popular routes:

youtube.com/watch?v=LC5ZYhQZLcQ&
OP solostoke 13 Apr 2016
In reply to caradoc:

That video is why I want to climb there!
Thanks for making it.
 j.anstee 24 Apr 2016
In reply to solostoke:

Have only recently started at Pontesford after moving to Shrewsbury myself. Use the rock fax app and it works well with good Information on it!
 big 25 Apr 2016
In reply to solostoke:

On the main bit of cliff (i.e. first bit in the vid you can climb anywhere, at least on the left, at about severe, right hand side is a max of VS or so.
However, there isn't abundant protection, holds often slope in unhelpful directions and there's some loose rock on the belay ledges and descent gully (on the left, don't use the gorse filled one between this buttress and Varsity buttress.
Talking of which, it's the same sort of rock, VS and often vegetated with copious gorse if you go at all off-route! The initial 50 foot wall can be a bit greasy!
The bottom crag has a good-old severe chimney struggle, and a couple of difficult and largely unprotected E2/3s.
Be warned that there's been a number of accidents as it can be more difficult than it looks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...