Peak District Ring Ouzels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greylag 31 Mar 2019

They're back... I'm sure those concerned already know but on arriving at Stanage Pop car park this morning there was a single bird calling

Heard calls all day, then saw three when belaying from the top of Inverted V.

Never saw them 'in' the crag though. 

Cheers, 

Stuart. 

mrphilipoldham 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Greylag:

There was one at Bamford the other week, just below Porthole too. 

outdoors.nick 31 Mar 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

They were at Burbage North today too. Didn't see them on any "routes" but worth knowing they're about.

brianjcooper 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Greylag:

I've got a great photo' of an Ouzel taken at Stanage a few years ago. It even posed for me too.

Kim 01 Apr 2019
In reply to Greylag:

Hi all,

Thanks for the sightings info – there seems to have been a good early influx this year (the first bird back I know of was on 20th March) with lots of sightings across the area over the last few days.

If anyone wants to help with records you can log any sightings through the Moors for the Future “MoorWILD” app – links here https://www.natural-apptitude.co.uk/project/moorwild/ If you stick it on your phone then whenever you’re out and about you can quickly log sightings with automatic location etc. I have access to all the records which we can use to help locate/protect nest sites.

If you think you’ve seen a bird visiting a nest site (that doesn’t already have signs up) then it would be really helpful if you make a note of the route or buttress and email me direct (through the UKC email link above is fine). Though we’re unlikely to see much nesting activity (and thus restrictions) until mid-April at least.

We also have a team of fantastic BMC (and others) volunteers helping locate and monitor nest sites - some more general info here: https://www.visit-eastern-moors.org.uk/wildlife/birds/ring-ouzels/

Cheers,

Kim (Ecologist / Ring Ouzel Project / Eastern Moors Partnership)

ashtond6 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Kim:

Hi Kim, do you know which routes are banned at higgar tor?

Kim 05 Apr 2019
In reply to ashtond6:

None at present. It always depends on where the birds choose to nest. You'll probably be fine for the next couple of weeks at least. There's often not many routes restricted at Higger as they frequently nest in the boulders below.

ashtond6 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Kim:

Thanks for the update kim, has this changed?  I went for a walk on Wednesday and there was a sign up below the leaning block - however i dont remember which routes it listed   

Do you think routes right of surform will be ok?

Thanks again

Kim 05 Apr 2019
In reply to ashtond6:

Ah right - no, that'll be an old sign. There was a nest left of the leaning block last year and 2 or 3 of the signs disappeared. I found one last week in the middle of a random path so I guess you've found one of the others. I'll grab it sometime soon. Definitely no restrictions at present!

ashtond6 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Kim:

Fab! Thank you if you want me to put it somewhere, happy to do so 

deacondeacon 05 Apr 2019
In reply to ashtond6:

What you trying up there Johnny?  

Kim 20 Apr 2019

In reply to:

The first restrictions are now up at Stanage. I won't post them all up here but I'll flag up any more popular stuff. So Balcony Buttress area (Popular End) and Strangler area (Plantation) currently have birds nest-building and signs up. Unfortunate timing with the Easter weekend, but they were undeterred by the crowds yesterday, and still hard at work this morning.

Kim 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Kim:

Signs up this morning for a new pair, covering Manchester Buttress to Grotto Slab inclusive (this includes Heather Wall) at Popular End. 

Please pass the word on to any instructors/centres/etc you know, as this area is heavily used by groups, never mind being some of the most popular routes on the crag. They'll need some good fortune to succeed here.

In reply to Greylag:

Whilst this isn't necessarily Stanage, it's worth mentioning that there is a pair nesting in/around Wrinkled Wall (VS 4c) at Bamford Edge. The signs are up, so that should be enough, but spread the word if you happen to be out/about in that area this weekend.

n.b. I've changed the title of the thread to 'Peak District Ring Ouzels', as it could be useful for this to encompass crags beyond Stanage

Post edited at 11:53
 cragtyke 09 May 2019
In reply to Kim:

The signs for the Agony Crack and Balcony Buttress area weren't in place earlier this week, I think they were there last week. Has the nesting in that area been unsuccessful and the signs removed?

Kim 09 May 2019
In reply to cragtyke:

> The signs for the Agony Crack and Balcony Buttress area weren't in place earlier this week, I think they were there last week. Has the nesting in that area been unsuccessful and the signs removed?

Sadly yes. The pair have relocated it seems, location currently unknown. Probably predated rather than any disturbance issue.

I'll try and update when signs are removed too from any nests mentioned in this thread (one of the reasons we don't flag up all restrictions is they can change day-by-day with nest failures/successes, and things can get confusing!).

cragtyke 09 May 2019
In reply to Kim:

Thanks Kim, shame .

In reply to Greylag:

Hey Kim, Dont suppose you know if the Tippler area at Stanage is out of bounds? Thanks 🙂

Post edited at 17:43
 EarlyBird 12 May 2019
In reply to Michael Morrell:

There were parties on Tippler buttress today - I think there're restrictions in Manchester Buttress area.

Kim 12 May 2019
In reply to Michael Morrell:

Yes that's right - Tippler is fine. Only current Popular End restriction is Manchester Buttress/Heather Wall area.

In reply to EarlyBird:

Cheers! 

In reply to Kim:

Thanks Kim! 

Chris_Cole 14 May 2019
In reply to Greylag:

Signs now up around Strangler area Stanage Plantation. Also suspected site Wall End Slab where signs may go up today. Thought that these are the birds whose nest was predated at Balcony Buttress.

Kim 14 May 2019
In reply to Chris_Cole:

Actually signs now DOWN at Strangler area (they've been up for a couple of weeks), this nest has failed unfortunately. So it's likely this pair which have moved to Wall End Slab, as it's probably within their territory.

Signs going up this afternoon, will cover Help the Aged etc. plus Wall End Slab itself.

In reply to everyone:

Hi All,

Quick update from Bamford this morning: sadly the pair nesting in/around the Wrinkled Wall area have abandoned their nest. Unsure as to whether this is due to disturbance, or because of one of the adult Ring Ouzels having been predated, but either way the result is much the same. As such, the signs are down and the routes are ok to climb once again.

Fingers crossed for the other two pairs in/around the crag, who are due to fledge later this week.

Thanks to everyone who's abided by the notice and taken an interest in them.

Kim 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Greylag:

Good news from Popular End - the Manchester Buttress pair successfully fledged five chicks from their nest over the weekend. Given the popularity of this area, even with the signs up, this is quite a feat! Signs are now down. Massive thanks to everyone - and that must genuinely be a lot of people - who observed the signs and steered clear of the area.

In other (late) news, the Wall End Slab restriction was taken down a few days ago as that nest failed, presumed predated.

In new news, as of today there is a restriction on The Wobbler area including Old Salt and Valediction - please let anyone know who might be making the trek out to Stanage North. And thanks to the climbers who spotted this nest as they were about to start a route and passed on the info.

Kim 28 Jun 2019
In reply to Kim:

In a possibly foolish though, in their eyes, evidence-led return, the Manchester Buttress ouzels are back for round two - with a new nest a couple of metres above the first one.

Signs are up today, the restriction is from Manchester Buttress to Grotto Slab inclusive again.

As previously, please pass this info on to any instructors/centres/etc you know so people are aware in advance.

The restriction at Wobbler area is down as of today - unfortunately this pair failed, possibly predated by a family of stoats which has been spotted in the area.

In better news, it looks like a pair nesting right in the open below Meson Buttress (there has been a small restriction by Beauty slab) have heroically battled the rains of the last month and fledged their young. Top marks to them!

Wimlands 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Kim:

Way to go Ouzels !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/entries/ded4661d-2064-4253-bd66-e7fe19...

interesting to read the linked article and how they are doing on the Eastern edges...

Darron 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Greylag:

That article suggests that climbers chalk is enriching the soil! I doubt that very much.

Darron 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Wimlands:

> Way to go Ouzels !

Sorry I meant this article.

Wimlands 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Darron:

I guess ouzels need worms to eat and the amount of chalk washed down of the rock might change soil ph to benefit them?...this and the fact that that stoats might be deterred by walkers/climbers may be benefitting the birds...

essentially saying it might not be as black and white as saying climbers and ouzels don’t mix.

Darron 30 Jun 2019
In reply to Wimlands:

Agreed. That was not my point though. I just cannot see chalk improving the soil structure. Most of the time it’s falling onto (in effect) sand anyway. The soil is no more!

Graeme Hammond 05 Jul 2019
In reply to Kim:

Hi Kim/anyone else who might know

I am right in assuming that there are still restrictions at Stanage?

In case there isn't and they have all been lifted it would be nice to know because I am thinking about doing a challenge based around routes at Stanage but it is not worth planning/starting if there are still restrictions.

Thanks

Fellover 05 Jul 2019
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

There's still one at popular, grotto slab -manchester buttress I think, that sort of area anyway. Was along pretty much the whole crag last Sunday and that was the only one I saw.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...