Parking for Staffordshire grit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 15 Apr 2021
Thread moved from Rocktalk to Crag Access

What’s the parking situation like for Roaches, Ramshaw, Hen Cloud and Newstones area. I’m hoping to head to one fo them at the weekend but concerned I won’t be able to park anywhere. What are my options, I don’t mind walking a bit but not from Leek!

Post edited at 14:46
 abr1966 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Tyler:

Should be ok if you get there early but if not it's a problem!

Michael Hood 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Tyler:

If the usual spots have no space then it should still be possible to park somewhere without causing problems, but you might have to walk further than normal and maybe access areas from an unexpected direction.

E.g. For Roaches, park round the back and walk in past the Cube area.

Dave Garnett 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Tyler:

There seemed to be people parked in the field down near the tea shop at the weekend, and I think you can park in the camping field for a small fee. 

S Ramsay 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

This is correct for the field by the tea shop, £2 for the day and easily walkable to Hen Cloud or the Roaches. This is unlikely to fill up

Post edited at 17:17
OP Tyler 15 Apr 2021
In reply to :

Thanks all, the additional parking provision seems promising. If it is like Malham they can only open the fields for parking for so many days a year so it’s not always there. 

Andy Clarke 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Tyler:

Don't be tempted to park on the grass verges below the Roaches/Hen Cloud as the police regularly do a ticketing visit on busy weekends. If parking at Roach End for the far end of the Skyline, it's OK to pull up on the grass banks. The zones are signed.

tehmarks 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Tyler:

And if all else fails, there's a car park in Upper Hulme opposite the Rock Inn. 10-15 minutes uphill to the crag.

I've only once failed to find a space at the crag though - if you have no luck with the parking areas, continue outside of the restricted zone and you can usually find something (but keep in mind it's a single track road and passing places need to be left usable).

JMarkW 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Tyler:

I think you will find parking will be the least of your problems on the day....

Andy Clarke 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Tyler:

Forgot to add: some of the routes on Hen Cloud will be bird banned due to nesting peregrines.

mrjonathanr 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

central section between Nutted By Reality  and Easy Come https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/View.aspx?id=129

tehmarks 16 Apr 2021
In reply to JMarkW:

You can always find peace and tranquillity up there - as with Stanage, the only thing you have to do is stretch your legs a bit. I've never seen Skyline busy, ever, and I suspect the same applies to the Clouds. Likewise Hen Cloud (when it's not bird-banned).

As always, getting further than ten minutes from the car almost guarantees quiet, even on quality routes.

hthom 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Tyler:

Roaches parking seems to be crazy busy at weekends at the moment. I went to Ramshaw a few Saturdays ago and there was plenty of free space to park. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...