Parking for Burbage boulders question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi, can you still park for free at Burbage North? I vaguely thought I saw something about lots more paid parking for the northern edges.. but can't remember what it said 🤷‍♂️!? Thanks

In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

Ye still free 🙃

Cake 11 Dec 2022

It's all free, but the car park and lay-by by the gate are usually full. If so, please don't park on the bridge. People often ignore the white lines.

In reply to Euan McKendrick:

woop woop lol!

Thanks

Graeme Hammond 21 Dec 2022
In reply to Cake:

> It's all free, but the car park and lay-by by the gate are usually full. If so, please don't park on the bridge. People often ignore the white lines.

Would be interested to know what the legal status is at Burbage and other places similar to Burbage bridge were people regularly park completely off the highway on the other side of the white lines.

For example the two large parking areas on the left hand side of the road as you approach Sheffield after passing Burbage.

Ringinglow Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/sj1H4umNyiK6YD6f7

twoshoes 21 Dec 2022
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Worth double checking with the Highway code but as far as I know, white lines on the edge of the road are just that - lines to mark the edge of the road. 

A solid white line only affects parking when the line is in the centre of the road - you can't legally park on the side of a section of road where this is the case.

So as far as I'm aware, parking on the Burbage bridge is technically legal, just lik the laybys above ringinglow. 

That said, anyone chewing up a verge in a national park or blocking pedestrians, safe in the knowledge that it's 'legal', is a complete wazzock.

Edit - there are a few places round me where there's no pavement, just a white line a metre or so out. Pretty sure you shoudn't park there in the same way you shouldn't park on the pavement. 

Post edited at 20:19
 galpinos 21 Dec 2022
In reply to Cake:

> It's all free, but the car park and lay-by by the gate are usually full. If so, please don't park on the bridge. People often ignore the white lines.

As much as I agree the bridge is not an ideal parking spot, what is it about the white lines that people are ignoring. It's a while since I did my theory test but do they not just mark the edge of the road?

galpinos 21 Dec 2022

Currently still free but there is an application in at the moment to make it a Pay and Display.

Graeme Hammond 21 Dec 2022
In reply to twoshoes:

> Worth double checking with the Highway code but as far as I know, white lines on the edge of the road are just that - lines to mark the edge of the road. 

>  A solid white line does affect parking when the line is in the centre of the road - you can't legally park on the side of a section of road where this is the case.

That was my understanding too, however I believe that in some specific circumstances you can't but I can't seem to find anything official.

For instance from the AA:

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/parking-guide-yellow-lines#white

"Single white line parking

Where the road has a solid, unbroken white line running along the side, parking is considered legal.

In some cases, the single white line is there to indicate that there’s no pavement – if this is the case then it’s illegal to park there."

At Burbage this would seem to fit into the latter category however the "in some cases" to me sounds like it varies and how do you tell? Also I would assume the Burbage Bridge parking isn't on the highway if you are completely over the white lines. 

Some websites also say for example (from quick fit): on rural country highways where there is no side pavement, solid white lines that flank both sides of the road are there to warn motorists where the edge of the road is. These will usually be found on rural roads in which street lights are not in use. Deliberately stopping or parking on the sides of these roads is not permitted and could result in a penalty charge notice.

🤔

Post edited at 20:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...