Parking at bus stop for Australia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Wakeham 22 Jul 2021

I've seen posts suggesting that the parking at the bus stop for the quarries is being tightened up.  What's the current situation?

Was hoping to park there on Sunday to walk up to Australia.  Do I have a hope of a space if we're arriving early afternoon?

jezb1 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

If you're thinking about the double yellows chat, that didn't happen.

Who knows if you'll get parked, I expect so though... 

Crazy busy up here in general at the mo.

Post edited at 08:18

Even before any new restrictions you'd be parking a little way back up the road if you arrive in the afternoon, unless someone happens to be leaving of course. Not the end of the world because you probably won't abandon it in everyone's way like some people would.

Not sure how far up Australia you're planning to go but there is the smaller, higher, quieter parking spot that works for the upper levels. Not sure if it's officially sanctioned but I've used it without knowingly offending anyone.

OP Jamie Wakeham 23 Jul 2021

Thanks, both.  Yes, it was the suggestion of DYLs that was in my mind - glad they haven't gone ahead with that!

I'm driving up with a novice on Sunday morning, doing some gear shopping faff in Llanberis, and figured that The Sidings would be a good place to start off.  Is the upper parking a good shout for that?  I don't know the quarries terribly well so maybe better if I use the main parking area.

I'm hoping that parking will be a little easier midweek for Ogwen... 

> I'm driving up with a novice on Sunday morning, doing some gear shopping faff in Llanberis, and figured that The Sidings would be a good place to start off. Is the upper parking a good shout for that? I don't know the quarries terribly well so maybe better if I use the main parking area.

I'd park at bus stop for the sidings.

Possibly even consider bus stop quarry itself if time limited. You'll probably get an extra half hour (45 min if you have to figure out the layout of Australia for the first time) of climbing all told, if there are enough suitable routes.

Post edited at 09:50
 Sherlock 23 Jul 2021

Ogwen was pretty busy midweek 2 weeks ago, before the school holidays.

We learned to arrive mid to late afternoon as the dawn patrol were leaving and usually got a spot within half a mile of the boulders we wanted to visit.

OP Jamie Wakeham 23 Jul 2021

Thanks again.

We should be arriving at the quarries around 1pm and have five or six hours to play with, and I think she's going to need plenty of 4s, so I'll see if I can find the Sidings!  

Mon and Tue I was hoping to do the obvious things of Tryfan and Idwal, but I'll see how ridiculous the parking is.  We'll head to the Moelwyns if it's crazy busy.  

FreshSlate 23 Jul 2021

> Thanks again.

> We should be arriving at the quarries around 1pm and have five or six hours to play with, and I think she's going to need plenty of 4s, so I'll see if I can find the Sidings!  

> Mon and Tue I was hoping to do the obvious things of Tryfan and Idwal, but I'll see how ridiculous the parking is.  We'll head to the Moelwyns if it's crazy busy.  

I just got back from Ogwen a couple of days ago, it wasn't too busy midweek.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...