Moss Rake Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 roger whetton 17 Jun 2022

Access information for Moss Rake states that there is a seasonal restriction from 1st March to 30th June. As there has been recent recorded activity has this restriction perhaps been lifted early?

Moss Rake

TobyA 17 Jun 2022
In reply to roger whetton:

Looks like one team who presumably didn't know (or less likely didn't care) about the temporary ban. Moss Rake was discussed at the last BMC Peak area meeting, and I can't remember exactly what the details were, I think it was probably Kim who is the local ornithological/crag expert who knew a bit more, but previously I had wondered whether the whole crag had to be voluntarily banned to climbers if the nesting birds were far away, and after the discussion I just thought 'nope, fair enough, wait for July.'

Last year there were little signs up, when we accidentally visited in May on our mountainbike/sport climb combi day. The signs were very faded but legible to the point where I then checked the RAD on my phone and saw the bird ban (of course what I should have done the night before!). Not sure if they were replaced this year or not. I doubt someone would ignore and sign and then log on UKC in public, so probably someone not knowing about the closure than willfully ignoring it.

Gary Gibson 29 Jun 2022

The peregrine hasn’t nested this time as far as I know 

Kim 29 Jun 2022

The Peregrines are definitely there this year! Currently three hefty looking young just about ready to fledge. There are signs up too, though I've not checked them lately... They were late starting this year (or possibly failed then relaid) so actually it would be best if they were given another couple of weeks to fledge and make their first flights - I'll update the RAD to say as much, though won't have a chance to change the signs. 

The young will still be dependent on their parents for food for the next couple of months - and it's worth remembering that the legal position is that causing disturbance to "dependent young" is still an offence. So for this and any other sites coming out of peregrine restrictions, be aware the young may end up in different parts of the crag and if adult birds are alarm calling you should back off and move away/leave if necessary. 

The main thing to say though, is Moss Rake and Hidden Quarry have both been successful this year, two sites where we have seen a number of nest failures in recent years (not attributable to climbing, but unfortunately coinciding with the development/rise in popularity of both venues). So a big thanks to everyone who's helped by avoiding these this year - it's really great to see young Peregrines at both.  

TobyA 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Kim:

I've been looking forward to visiting Moss Rake again, but of course I'm perfectly happy to go elsewhere until they chicks are mobile and not bothered by people about. You've obviously been going to look - I'd really like to see the peregrines as well. If I take my binoculars and walk along the public footpath just north of the quarry, is there a decent chance I'd see them or at least the adults flying around?

BTW, I was in Goddard's Quarry last night and I think I heard a peregrine screeching as we walked out. Didn't see it but, although I'm not great at recognising birds by their calls, the peregrine's call is distinctive.

Kim 29 Jun 2022
In reply to TobyA:

> I've been looking forward to visiting Moss Rake again, but of course I'm perfectly happy to go elsewhere until they chicks are mobile and not bothered by people about. You've obviously been going to look - I'd really like to see the peregrines as well. If I take my binoculars and walk along the public footpath just north of the quarry, is there a decent chance I'd see them or at least the adults flying around?

Yes absolutely!

> BTW, I was in Goddard's Quarry last night and I think I heard a peregrine screeching as we walked out. Didn't see it but, although I'm not great at recognising birds by their calls, the peregrine's call is distinctive.

Could well be the Hidden Quarry birds stretching their wings and doing a bit of exploring.

TobyA 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Kim:

Cheers Kim. I was up that way last Sunday as we climbed in Pin Dale. If I thought about it I could have gone and had a look over Moss Rake then, but I don't think I had even seen what the birds were in Moss Rake (for obvious security reasons, I know people don't shout about where the birds are). But I may well go and see the beautiful things that have been stopping me from trying to redpoint a not very impressive 6a+ I fell off last December!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...