Masson Lees Car Vandalism

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Green 28 Oct 2022

Hi All,

Just a quick warning that if you park in the normal layby opposite the end of the track up to Masson Lees you risk getting your car vandalised.

A couple of us had wing-mirrors smashed yesterday. Whilst this was done in an attempt at 'plausible deniability' ("well if you park there, you risk getting your mirrors hit by passing cars, mate") we have solid evidence that it was deliberate. Without wanting to say too much publicly whilst in the process of following this up, it seems that the landowners have got fed up with people parking there and this is the end result.

'No parking' signs had been put up at this layby but I did not see these until getting back to the car (I just pulled up, jumped out, and went climbing as normal without really looking around). I guess there is some debate about the legality of the signs and the legality of the parking but, whatever the arguments, I struggle to see any justification for criminal damage.

The parking in the layby yesterday (as with every other visit over the last few years) was in no way inconsiderate or a problem for farm traffic moving between the road and the farm track. If a vehicle has been able to navigate the road to the track (in either direction) it will easily be able to enter/leave the track -even if the layby is totally full of cars. I work in the agricultural sector, so am sympathetic to farmers getting access restricted by carelessly parked cars, but also know that there are no farm vehicles, machinery or implements that would be rendered unable to get in/out of that track by cars parked sensibly in the layby. I suspect that there are other reasons that the landowners are trying to discourage parking here.

Parking elsewhere on the road would actually be problematic -the only alternatives in either direction are necessary passing places so parking in these WOULD be inconsiderate. So the big layby remains the best place to park (and as stated above gives no access problem for the farm) unless we start walking up from Matlock.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.

TLDR: Be aware that parking in the normal spot (despite not being inconsiderate or a problem for anyone!) is likely to get your car vandalised.

Masson Lees Quarry

turtlespit 28 Oct 2022
In reply to Tom Green:

Unfortunately Masson Lees has become too popular.  

Ever since the initial covid lockdown lifted, we've tried going there a few times only to see crazy amounts of cars parked there, only to turn around and go somewhere else.  At these times, at least 10 other cars should have done the same, so it's unsurprising the farmers have become annoyed.

OP Tom Green 28 Oct 2022
In reply to turtlespit:

I only normally go there on weekdays, so have never seen it particularly busy -there’s always been room for everyone to park sensibly. 

I guess if this isn’t/hasn’t always been the case we may have reached a point where all parking is considered an annoyance, whether it’s inconsiderate or not. 

I can sympathise with the land owner and other locals being annoyed with crap parking, but am not overly happy at being the scapegoat for that! 

nickcanute 30 Oct 2022
In reply to Tom Green:

On the caving thread it states there was a dry tooling event with excessive number of vehicles parked that seems to have been the "final straw" event prior to signs going up and vandalism. The vehicle and Reg number of suspected person responsible were put on that thread by a witness.

Very different from early days there when you could set up a film crew for a scene of Paddy Considine walking up the lane in Dead Mans Shoes. And on another Saturday morning occasion there was a car parked up the track next to the stile with a young couple having it off on the bonnet as I walked past (not Paddy Considine on this occasion).

remus Global Crag Moderator 31 Oct 2022
In reply to nickcanute:

> On the caving thread it states there was a dry tooling event with excessive number of vehicles parked that seems to have been the "final straw" event prior to signs going up and vandalism. The vehicle and Reg number of suspected person responsible were put on that thread by a witness.

I think that's potentially inaccurate. On one of the FB threads someone who organised the drytooling event said they'd organised a shuttle, so people were parking in town and they'd drive them up and drop them off. They did also mention that it was a busy weekend with climbers in general, so I suspect it was just the usual mix of people at a popular spot.

Stoney Boy 31 Oct 2022
In reply to remus:

Cavers and walkers park there as well, it's not just climbers. Perhaps it may have worked better if they had let the Farmer know or at least gone and talked to him...

Darkinbad 31 Oct 2022
In reply to nickcanute:

> And on another Saturday morning occasion there was a car parked up the track next to the stile with a young couple having it off on the bonnet as I walked past

But not dry tooling, one presumes.

FactorXXX 31 Oct 2022
In reply to nickcanute:

>  And on another Saturday morning occasion there was a car parked up the track next to the stile with a young couple having it off on the bonnet as I walked past.

Was it a Princess?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...