Malham Tarn climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Does anyone know if there’s climbing access to the three vertical buttresses to the southern end of the tarn. Don’t know if this has a name but it’s on the south face of Great Close Hill on the ordinance survey map. If there is does anyone know if there’s a topo for this

Derek Furze 01 Oct 2020
In reply to Ciaranunderscoretolan:

Great Close Scar presumably?  Long time since I have been, but it is in the guidebook.  I haven't got a map to confirm from your description of location, but it is characteristically three pillars and fairly close to the tarn down a gated lane.  I don't think there will be a topo, but there is a diagram in Yorkshire Limestone.  Does that help?  

Arms Cliff 01 Oct 2020

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/great_close_scar-1645

this would seem to be the place, no recorded access issues and it’s on access land. 

Post edited at 15:49
In reply to Derek Furze:

Mint thank u mate

In reply to Arms Cliff:

That’s the one thanks man appreciate it

HammondR 01 Oct 2020
In reply to Ciaranunderscoretolan: it is about 20 years since I last climbed there. My abiding memory is that it was very common for some cunning mites which resided in the grass at the bottom of the crag, to find their way up/down ones trousers and into ones undergarments. Sit on a rope bag and tuck your trouser legs into your socks.

In reply to Derek Furze:

Do you know what belaying from the top is like, looks pretty sparse for the most part

In reply to HammondR:

That’s made me very glad I didn’t close the thread, thanks for that knowledge, made the hairs on my neck stand on end haha

Andy Say 01 Oct 2020

It's a good trad crag. Been a bit neglected but there's some good routes. You'll find it in the Yorkshire Limestone guide and also here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/great_close_scar-1645

Derek Furze 01 Oct 2020

I don't remember any particular problem, but it was August 1978!  I only climbed there once to do eight better quality routes and haven't been back, though the routes I did were OK.  It has always been quiet - even back in the day.

From ancient memory I think you had to work a bit to find belays.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...