Is Langcliffe out the bird ban?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi team

does anyone know if Langcliffe is out of the birdban? 

The info on the RAD hasn't been updated since last year, does this mean it's ok to climb? 

Thanks in advance : ) Langcliffe Quarry

spidermonkey09 11 Apr 2022
In reply to Emilysaladfingers:

The ban will have only just started; climbing won't be allowed yet, probably until July.

In reply to spidermonkey09:

yep - just last year it was lifted and you could climb because the birds didn’t nest. 

Just wondered if the same was true this year as the info isn’t updated 

secondary question - anyone been to Trow Gil recently and if so is it dry?

looking for mixed grade Yorkshire crags!! With nice low 6s and some low to mid 7s…

I think its normally lifted early by a matter of weeks rather than months; there's still plenty of time for them to nest given the ban normally runs to mid July. 

I'll double check at the BMC meeting next week but I'm pretty certain its banned for the standard dates unless theres an update saying otherwise, ie its bird banned by default during those dates.

Post edited at 13:30
 Ian Patterson 11 Apr 2022

According to the BMC RAD looks like should be ok this year:

'Restrictions apply from 15 February - 31 May.

Reason: Nesting Birds

The restriction applies to Crag X - the esoteric crag in the woods at the northern end of Langcliffe Scar.

The previous restriction for climbing in the quarry is not in place this year as birds have failed to nest.'

In reply to Ian Patterson:

You may be right, although its at the very least unclear and doesn't reference Langcliffe Skyline. I think that is also the update from last year, rather than this year.

My personal view is that it should be presumed as bird banned in the absence of a proper update. Its quite well monitored and it would look bad to be seen climbing there if the ban is in place. I'll email the office to find out the situation.

Post edited at 13:56
 Bulls Crack 11 Apr 2022
In reply to Ian Patterson:

I read that and it didn't seem to make much sense. It's too early to say whether they've nested/failed and they usually seemed to hang about the junction between the crag and the quarry. I think the RAD needs updating/clarifying

Post edited at 14:33
 1poundSOCKS 11 Apr 2022

Hi Emily,

Not sure about the bird ban but in my limited experience of Skyline, it does tend to seep a lot and is sheltered by the trees so tends to stay wet longer than more open crags. I would guess it's quite wet now.

Will Hunt 11 Apr 2022

I think at one point there were two separate entries on the RAD for Langcliffe and clarity has been lost in combining them into one record.

The Skyline has a restriction from 1st March to 15th July, however there have been years when the birds didn't nest. Since it's now mid-April it would probably be worth calling in to see if there is anything nesting. If you need to move on then Gigg North is nearby and has a good mix of routes in the grades you're after.

Thanks everyone 

and thanks spidermonkey09 if you could ask that would be super helpful for clarity 

that update is from last year about it being lifted so I’ll take it was banned until the RAD is updated 

and look around for an alternative! Blue scar?? Maybe wet. Trow Gill ….not premiere but maybe worth a punt! 

Bulls Crack 12 Apr 2022

Trow has a lot more to go at than Langcliffe!  I hear there are some dodgy trees there at the moment . 

spidermonkey09 12 Apr 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

There are. If you do go be really careful as a lot of trees came down in the storms and there might be some knock on effects with the rock at the top of the crag, ie where the belays are! Would be interested to know how it looks as I don't know if anyone has been this year yet. 

spidermonkey09 21 Apr 2022

I've had confirmation from Rob Dyer and the YDNPA that no birds are nesting in Langcliffe Quarry or Skyline Buttress this year, so climbing can commence at these crags. The restriction remains at Crag X. 

The bird ban has also been lifted at High Stoney Bank as the birds are not nesting there either.,

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/rad/view.aspx?id=612

Ah thanks for asking and for feeding back :-D

Geordie 25 Apr 2022

Visited yesterday. Everything bone dry.

However there is a considerable amount of building work taking place and the main parking area is blocked off.

There is adequate parking still available just before the temporary (?) barrier fence. From here follow the obvious path out of the parking area and along the hillside then down some stone steps to reach the parking area stated in the guide. Access is OK from here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...