Humphrey Head parking warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kettle 18 Oct 2020

FYI: The car parking for Humphrey Head climbing and bouldering is tidal and disappears under the sea when the tides are around 9m or bigger, particularly when the wind is blowing onshore (W/SW direction). A number of cars have been written off by it over the years.

This is not mentioned in any of the climbing guides for the area (Rockfax Northern Limestone, Lakes Bouldering Guide, Wired Sport and Slate, Eden Valley & South Lakes Limestone etc)

I've just added this info to the logbooks page for the crag.

Rick Graham 18 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

Good shout.

I must have climbed at Humphrey head hundreds of times but only seen this happen once. I was parked fairly close to the tarmac  but still had to rush to move the car with water lapping at the tyres.

Also worth mentioning the speed the tide comes in and the quicksand danger. 

Jon Stewart 18 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

Thanks! I'd never have guessed cause the sea's always been absolutely miles away.

tmawer 19 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

Thanks for this, I did wonder if it ever reached there. 

At first I thought it might have been about the lad and his girlfriend who sat below the crag with their engine running, arguing for 3 hours the other week while I was climbing, having returned for a rematch! 

The New NickB 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Thanks! I'd never have guessed cause the sea's always been absolutely miles away.

Well it is slap bang in the middle of Britain’s biggest intertidal bay. The tide comes in at 9 knots, which is faster than 10 miles an hour.

Lankyman 19 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

Perhaps someone needs to add a similar warning for the recent sport routes across the bay at Silverdale? The parking there is also affected by high tides.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...