hobson moor, equipment needed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sam.j.w 04 May 2016
Ive recently started climbing, I played around with it for a few months around a year ago, and have just started to get back into it,

Since starting again I've really wanted to go outdoor climbing, I live around the corner from Hobson moor, in Stalybridge

When you go to a place like that, is there already equipment fixed? To lead climb, or is it more like you take absolutely everything you'd need?

Very very beginner question I know!

I'm just not sure of what to expect!
 Mark Eddy 04 May 2016
In reply to Sam.j.w:

Take everything you need and know how to use it all.

mrphilipoldham 05 May 2016
In reply to Sam.j.w:

Yep take everything you need. The only insitu equipment is stakes/rings at the top for belays.
Sam.j.w 05 May 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Ah right, meaning you can top rope for some of them?

Thanks for the help, with being new to climbing outdoors, I've not known what to expect, I'm going town to the climbing centre to have a talk with them about it and seeing when they do outdoor trips!
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 05 May 2016
In reply to Sam.j.w:

If you've got a harness then just go along. If it's sunny then there will be people there you can meet who can show you how things work.
 Offwidth 05 May 2016
In reply to Sam.j.w:

The place has good bouldering before you decide what to buy as a rack, including a lot of traversing that doesn't really need a mat. Go and play.

Hobson Moor Quarry
 slab_happy 05 May 2016
In reply to Sam.j.w:

> I'm going town to the climbing centre to have a talk with them about it and seeing when they do outdoor trips!

Sounds like a good plan.

Even with outdoor sport climbing (where there are bolts drilled into the rock to clip into), you still need to bring your own quickdraws and know how to re-thread the anchors. For trad (placing your own protection) you need to bring everything.

Even for top-roping outdoors, you need a rope and enough carabiners and bits of gear to set up a safe anchor.

And in all cases, you need to know what you're doing.

So unless you have climber friends who are more experienced, going on an organized trip would be a decent option as a way to start making the transition to outdoors.

I'd also recommend something like the BMC's Rock Climbing Essentials DVD -- lots of good info and it'll answer a lot of your "very very beginner questions" about how it all works outdoors:

http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6605

It's not a substitute for being taught in person, but (for me) having watched things first makes it easier to absorb what can seem like a lot of info when trying to learn it in practice, and then provides a way to revise it later.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...