Foreigner Wall, Llanymynech - Banned or not

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 23 Sep 2019

Was just wondering about doing some of the stuff on that wall, but the rockfax says banned due to rare plants but I notice there been plenty of ascents logged on here, so climb or not?

Post edited at 18:47
 nikoid 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

According to BMC RAD "Currently all routes on Foreigner Wall are permanently restricted"

Post edited at 10:11
OP Frankie boy 26 Sep 2019
In reply to nikoid:

Yeah, that's what I thought, but for some reason keep seeing people climbing there, and ticks on here, thus I wondered if something had changed. I even thought they may have been debolted previously???

Sadly, I'm guessing it's just a case of people ignoring rules to suit their own purposes.

Shame though, looks like it would be worth an hour or two visit.

nikoid 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

Sounds like you are a regular visitor, maybe you could politely discourage people from climbing on that wall if you see them before it causes wider problems. Also I'm surprised there is no signage in place.

Simon Caldwell 26 Sep 2019
In reply to nikoid:

If there are no signs and the bolts are still in place then it's hardly surprising if people still climb there.

If it's permanently banned shouldn't someone take the hangers off? or at least the first ones.

OP Frankie boy 27 Sep 2019
In reply to nikoid:

I don't actually climb there much as I'm not that local, but I do tend to politely ask people if they know something we don't when climbing in apparently banned sections.

OP Frankie boy 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I seem to remember thinking some of the bolts were removed but maybe not on all the routes.

I know not everyone necessarily carries the guidebooks with them or uses them but it does amaze me how many people are able to read route descriptions and directions how to get there etc but are incapable of reading the bit that says "Do not climb here". 

TimMorgan 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

Depends which guide book they are using I suppose. Most of the bolts have been removed from the wall, although there are a couple on the far right of the wall, one of which is missing a hanger half way up.

To be fair I climb there at least once a week in the summer and have not seen anyone on the wall in the last year or two - not to say it does not happen. 

Gary Gibson 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

There bolts on only five routes and two are overly vegetated. I removed the hangers on request of the Shropshire Wildlife Trust

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...