Considerations for developing new bouldering areas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robertoo3 06 Aug 2022

For a while now I've been thinking of exploring a couple of undeveloped (to the best of my knowledge) bouldering areas I've stumbled upon on hillwaking days around the Scottish highlands. It's looking like I'll have a lot of time off work in the autumn, and before I set out anywhere I want to make sure I've done my due diligence here and won't be overlooking anything vitally important affecting access that I might need to check out before I give these venues a proper recce.

On my list to check are the following (bearing in mind these are Scottish venues):

• Designation as National Nature Reserves 
  • Designation as Sites of Special Scientific Interest
  • Deer stalking-related restrictions

Anything I might be missing? Or any ideas on how the above might affect my ability to climb at any of these venues, particularly designations as NNR or SSSI? I wasn't under the impression that either of these designations, should they apply, necessarily mean climbing wouldn't be possible or responsible, but figured it was best to check.

Cheers

J72 20 Aug 2022
In reply to robertoo3:

For estates information should be available online about days where stalking may take place and preferred routes through the estate on those days.  For the others it’d be worth checking with the relevant authority (eg. park service) if there are likely to be nesting birds where you’re going.

none of the three should affect access - there is some useful info on mountaineering Scotland about climbing/bouldering in Scotland, access and ‘dos and don’ts’ - most of it applies to activities that leave a permanent trace (eg. Sport climbing) but some useful things there possibly to consider.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...