Cheyne Weares carpark sh*t

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramon Marin 16 Sep 2018

in the last two years we’ve seen this carpark increasingly becoming a van campsite for climbers, last night it was a full house, there must have been 15 vans or so sleeping there. With the increase of vans we’ve also seen an offer increase of litter: human waste, toilet paper, disposable bbq’s... I think it’s getting quite bad and it’s a matter of time the council will ban entrance to vans or issue fines for overnight sleeping. Can please everyone using the carpark make an effort to keep it tidy so we can carry on enjoying it? Bury your turd, or walk further from the path. Take the toilet paper with you. Don’t litter or empty the bbq coals in plain view. It would be a shame if we loose it as a van spot

Post edited at 08:43
 Luke90 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> Bury your turd, or walk further from the path.

Surely both of these, rather than one or the other.

jezb1 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Luke90:

> > Bury your turd, or walk further from the path.

> Surely both of these, rather than one or the other.

Or just poop in a bag and put it in a dog poop bin?

Sadly van camping is going to get more and more difficult due to people ruining places

steve taylor 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

I thought there was a tall vehicle barrier on that car park. 

Has it been removed, or do the ubiquitous T5/T6s fit underneath? 

ianstevens 16 Sep 2018
In reply to steve taylor:

> I thought there was a tall vehicle barrier on that car park. 

> Has it been removed, or do the ubiquitous T5/T6s fit underneath? 

I mean no fashionable camper van owner would be seen dead in a T5 these days

OP Ramon Marin 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Luke90:

Well if you bury it well and it’s not visible you might not need to get that far off the path I guess. Anyways, you get the point eitherbway

In reply to jezb1:

There are no bins in the carpark.

There’s no height restriction now, not sure if there ever was? Anyways, all sort of vans, Vposh, full campers, LWB... and even a few tents

Luke90 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

I didn't want people to think that walking away from the path made it acceptable to skip the burial part. In my opinion, it should be "walk further from the path and bury it". Even if you're doing a good job of burying it, I think it's still polite to choose a spot away from the path most of the time.

jezb1 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> There are no bins in the carpark.

Just take it with you to a bin. Honestly if everyone shits in the bushes, whether they bury it or not, it will get more and more grim. There really is no excuse. I’m all for burying when appropriate but Portland isn’t that place.

wintertree 16 Sep 2018
In reply to jezb1:

> I’m all for burying when appropriate but Portland isn’t that place.

The advice for areas of the back country in californa where burial isn’t appropriate is to smear it on a south facing rock to be sterilised by dehydration and the UV in the sunlight.

Then again in the back country you don’t have a motor vehicle with plenty of space to store bagged up poos in nappy sacks until you get home, or even....  shock horror..... a chemical toilet...

Mick Ward 16 Sep 2018

> I thought there was a tall vehicle barrier on that car park. 

> Has it been removed, or do the ubiquitous T5/T6s fit underneath?

Steve, it's been removed.

Mick

Gerry 17 Sep 2018
In reply to wintertree:

When I was in California the most common advice for wild country was to pack out your poo. You carried the food in so it's only fair to carry all the debris out. If I could do that for a multi-day trip then why can't it be managed with a van to take the strain?

SC 17 Sep 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Since getting back to climbing after several years of pretty serious downhill mountain biking, one thing I've noticed is climbers definitely seem to have less respect for their surroundings than mountain bikers. I've seen a lot of litter in crag car parks.

Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

What is wrong with people. There is a public toilet amd a Tesco with toilet less than 5 mins down the road.  Its not hard to take care of your own shit!

nacnud 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Marti999:

People might not know it is there. There is also the ESSO garage which opens earlier than Tesco on Sundays. Public loos in Easton and behind the Hights too. There used to be a public toilet in Southwell but it got turned into a house. 

Worth putting a notice up with directions to the nearest loos and that it is unacceptable to 'wild poo'?

yorkshire_lad2 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

For general info:

This latest BMC magazine Summit (#91, Autumn 2018, p. 62-3) (just landed on my doormat, I have no other connection with BMC other than as a member) has a relevant article:

"Respect the Rock, Face the Faeces"

It has a specfic section on Van users....

OP Ramon Marin 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Marti999:

yes that's how we do it, it's literally about 2min drive. Also, people, note that dossing at tesco is also a goo option, toilets open at 7am and close 11pm. 

In reply to Ramon Marin:

> disposable bbq’s... 

Im no fan of the nanny state but these little feckers need to be banned right now.  They are everywhere from local parks, natiknal parks, campsites. A visit to the bushes at clumber park after a sunny day will find many, simply discarded.  I f*cking hate them. Too cheap to buy and too easy to chuck.  Bottle of water and bin bag and hey presto, the embers are out and it can be taken home.

Pet hate rant!

Rigid Raider 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Try visiting a festival site after everybody has left and abandoned all their supermarket camping kit!

OP Ramon Marin 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I don't go to festivals, tend to avoid crowds, but yes I've seen the mayhem left behind. But people are paid to clean up there, where in this carpark is up the users. 

Post edited at 17:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...