Castle Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gear boy 26 Nov 2018
 airborne 26 Nov 2018
In reply to gear boy:

Heck, I thought it was another wind-up but yes that’s a big chunk that’s dropped. Difficult to tell which routes are affected/no more. Glad it didn’t take the cottages out, anyway. 

pasbury 26 Nov 2018
In reply to gear boy:

Woooo!

Looks like it came off in one block and landed politely below. No dwellings affected. But the picture is not that informative.

Hopefully a few people will check it out and post pictures.

Sean Kelly 26 Nov 2018
In reply to gear boy:

I imagine that the tree on NCE has finally given up the ghost. Has the ramp of OB gone too?

Post edited at 16:50
In reply to airborne:

I was wondering the same until I saw the pic.

It's a funny one really isn't it, because on the one hand we all knew it was going to go, it was just a matter of when; however, exactly when was up for debate, simply because nobody really knew.

Much like others have expressed elsewhere, I'm glad that it's happened at a time when nobody was climbing on the crag and that the flake didn't fall so far down the hillside as to demolish the house. That said, it's obviously sad to see it go...

North Crag Eliminated some may say

Alex Messenger, BMC 26 Nov 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

A bit more info in our news item - now up:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/castle-rock-lake-district-triermain-fallen-down

danm 26 Nov 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I guess this means that the fateful tree on NCE has returned to the womb of hell from whence it came? I still shiver a little remembering being stood on its very tip and considering what would happen if the hold I was so desperately reaching for turned out not to be a jug!

In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:

I love how the BMC article ends,with words of caution, followed by an advert for insurance. Planned or accidental?

steveb2006 26 Nov 2018
In reply to gear boy:

I see that 3 teams recorded doing Overhanging Bastion this year.  

kevin stephens 26 Nov 2018
In reply to gear boy: this is what happens when the Wayfarers vote to allow women members 

john arran 26 Nov 2018
In reply to gear boy:

Hard to say for sure, but if I was a local boulderer I'd be sharpening my crashpads in anticipation!

Simon Caldwell 26 Nov 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

did they finally manage it then? excellent news if so!

Bob Bennett 26 Nov 2018
In reply to danm:

It used to be called the piano pitch in the old days as climbers could be seen frantically "playing" to get the best hold.

kevin stephens 26 Nov 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

AGM over the weekend apparently

Lord_ash2000 26 Nov 2018
In reply to john arran:

> Hard to say for sure, but if I was a local boulderer I'd be sharpening my crashpads in anticipation!

Unfortunately I was out on a bike ride today, otherwise, I'd have been down there already. Although it doesn't look great from the pictures, I shall be having a scout about as soon as there is a dry day. 

Graeme Hammond 26 Nov 2018
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

I'd be there curling one out under the plumb lines to reserve your project

Post edited at 21:59
 Jon Stewart 26 Nov 2018
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

> I'd be there curling one out under the plumb lines to reserve your project

^^

Entered for post of 2018  

Post edited at 23:39
 Bob Kemp 27 Nov 2018
In reply to danm:

Yeah, I remember what was going through my head: 'If I fall, I must jump sideways. If I fall I must jump sideways..." 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...