Borrowdale parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stev_b 22 Apr 2021
Thread moved from Rocktalk to Crag Access

Hi Im after a bit of advice please.  I'm thinking of doig some climbs in Borrowdale including little chamonix, however, i'm not sure what the parking situation is.  Im going mid week to try and miss the crowds but where is the best place, thats open, to park?

innes 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Stev_b:

The National Trust carparks are open, and a short walk from Shepherd's Crag.  Either...

The Kettlewell carpark on Derwent water -  https://goo.gl/maps/5QJmgSH4k13W99bb6  

The Bowderstone carpark - https://goo.gl/maps/EL5iSX4aZgJLdWKa6

Take a load of change to pay for parking (£7 I think....  who has change these days?) as you may not get phone signal at either so cannot use an App.  

OP Stev_b 22 Apr 2021
In reply to innes:

Fantastic, thanks for that

Sean Kelly 22 Apr 2021
In reply to innes:

> The National Trust carparks are open, and a short walk from Shepherd's Crag.  Either...

> The Kettlewell carpark on Derwent water -  https://goo.gl/maps/5QJmgSH4k13W99bb6  

> The Bowderstone carpark - https://goo.gl/maps/EL5iSX4aZgJLdWKa6

> Take a load of change to pay for parking (£7 I think....  who has change these days?) as you may not get phone signal at either so cannot use an App.  

Or join the NT & Park for free!

PaulJepson 22 Apr 2021
In reply to innes:

Can you walk over to Shepherds from the free carpark on the road at the bottom of Black Crag? Must be less than a km between them.

Wimlands 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Stev_b:

I’ve parked at Manesty a few times ( space for 3 cars ) and walked across....lovely walk with the crag in view the whole time.

innes 22 Apr 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I'm not sure there's a free carpark anymore.  The NT had their pay machines covered over and out of action for quite a while so you could park for free.  But that situation reverted a couple of weeks ago and the machines are now back in operation.  

In reply to innes:

The one at 54.54875° N, 3.15108° W . Didn't have a ticket machine on it a couple years ago. If it now does, then the NT have finally completed the borrowdale roadside dirt patch monopoly board and can start building hotels on them all.

climbingpixie 22 Apr 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Worth bearing in mind that half the Black Crag parking is blocked off atm. Not sure why, I'd heard something about rockfall risk but no idea if that's the case. Means you can only fit 3-4 cars in the parking now.

mike123 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Wimlands:

> I’ve parked at Manesty a few times ( space for 3 cars ) and walked across....lovely walk with the crag in view the whole time.

What  a good idea . I’ve climbed at Shepard’s probably100 s of times and parked at manesty lots of times ( 40/50 ) to walk to Chinese bridge and or the cafe with the kids ( perfect length for small kids with a reasonably priced ice cream in the middle ) but never connected the dots ! That’s what I’ll be doing from now on . Thank you 

In reply to Stev_b:

Also consider Lodore hotel, the code for the barrier is printed on your receipt, so stop for a drink before or after. Limited opening currently but this will change. 

sea anenome 03 May 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Very sad to see the old Shepherd's parking with just two cars in it on a sunny bank holiday yesterday. Was always happy to pay our way in the cafe or honesty box. Lodore Falls hotel was charging £20 to park for the day. 

Andrew Wilson 03 May 2021
In reply to Stev_b:

We parked on the Watendlath road above the crag in a small lay-by beyond the Surprise View car park. It’s a very pleasant walk from there to the top of the crag (1.3km)

Andy

In reply to innes:

Why not try parking at Keswick Football Club (£3 per day) and catch the bus down the valley? Buses go about every 30 mins and it is a lot less hassle than searching (in vain) for the last parking spot in the valley. You can also get a bus over Honister (easier approach for Gillercomb Buttress) or down into Buttermere for a day on one of the fine crags over there, just check the return timetable from Buttermere.

In reply to sea anenome:

The £20 is avoidable if you buy a tea/beer/meal. Your receipt has the code for the parking barrier printed on it. 

In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

OK for a day out, you could also catch the boat. Less good for an after work trip. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...