BMC Peak Area Meeting: 18 October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Team BMC 04 Oct 2021

Come to our next (virtual) gathering of Peak District climbers and walkers and get involved in the BMC.

Date: Monday 18 October 2021, starting at 7.00 pm
Venue: online via ZOOM

Area meetings are run by volunteers and provide an opportunity for you to discuss issues and influence decisions affecting climbers and walkers locally and nationally. All are welcome.

This meeting will be an Ordinary Meeting. The 2021 Peak Area AGM will be held on Thursday 27 January 2022.

See the BMC Local Areas site for more info: https://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=4290

In reply to Team BMC: why is it still virtual now that pubs, club huts and walls are now open?

Am I missing something obvious ?

johncook 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Team BMC:

When are we going to get back to real meetings instead of this restrictive zoom performance. A meeting where there is social interaction and you can actually have a meaningful discussion! 

Becky E 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Despite what our esteemed government tell us, there's still a pandemic with a respiratory virus, and there's no effing way I'm squeezing into the back room of a pub with a bunch of people not wearing masks.

steveriley 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Team BMC:

Some folk will find it easier to get on a Zoom. Going forward it would be good to keep this as an option (somehow!).

Offwidth 05 Oct 2021
In reply to steveriley:

I really hope some form of mixed content is preserved for those who can't make the meetings.

As for physical area meetings, those decisions had to be made in advance for booking and any sensible look at risk was always going to lead to another zoom round. I think the risks for a group of people like BMC area regulars could be a good bit lower than in the average pub if we wear down jackets and keep windows partly open. We can always walk and climb outside together with negligible risk.

Post edited at 11:14
 Andy Reeve 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

> As for physical area meetings, those decisions had to be made in advance for booking and any sensible look at risk was always going to lead to another zoom round.

Thanks Steve - I think this was basically the rationale from the office for keeping with zoom for this round of meetings. For those who are fed up of interacting with the world through their computer monitor, rest assured that we're hoping to have the following Peak Area meeting (i.e. the January one) held in-person. I too hope we can find a way of either combining in-person with remote, or alternating them, so as to maximise accessibility.

Cheers, Andy

Peak Area chair

rj_townsend 06 Oct 2021
In reply to steveriley:

> Some folk will find it easier to get on a Zoom. Going forward it would be good to keep this as an option (somehow!).

My preference is to keep the meetings as remote via Zoom or whatever other technology emerges. For those wanting a social, that can be a separate session giving the best of both worlds.

In reply to Andy Reeve:

What are the chances of the January one having a quiz, chips and prizes?

Andy Reeve 07 Oct 2021
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> What are the chances of the January one having a quiz, chips and prizes?

Yeah now we're talking! This is definitely the plan. The number of attendees has been dropping over the past few meetings. But knowing what you're all like, I'm expecting some free chips and some free stuff to bring you all back 😀

In reply to Andy Reeve:

The idea of hybrid meeting going forward is an important one. The overwhelming majority of climbers who use the Peak (or most climbing areas) on a regular basis don’t actually live there. Opening up the meetings to a wider cross section of users can only be a positive step.

OP Team BMC 15 Oct 2021

The October 2021 BMC Peak Area Newsletter is now available to read online:
https://thebmc.co.uk/Handlers/DownloadHandler.ashx?id=2053

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...