Blatant Buttress Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DrJP 25 Apr 2019

Hi all.

I was asked to leave Blatant Buttress in Chee Dale the other day, police attended and a crime has been recorded but no further action is being taken against us.

I think a passing train must have reported that we were at the crag and then alerted Network Rail / Police. They were pretty clear that simply being at the crag is illegal, whether or not you crossed the line to get there. I've reported this to the BMC access team and the RAD page has been updated.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/View.aspx?id=5569

Oceanrower 25 Apr 2019
In reply to DrJP:

Pretty sure that trespass isn't against the law as long as you leave when asked.

What crime are they saying they've recorded?

Mike Stretford 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Oceanrower: I think trespass on railway is illegal per se, special law.

Thanks for posting Emailjack... I occasionally wonder if it's worth a visit, I won't bother now.

Post edited at 14:39
 jimtitt 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Indeed, section 55 of the Railways Act or whatever it's called.

OP DrJP 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Trespassing is a civil offence. Trespassing on National Railway property is a criminal offence, from what I understand. Says that on their website.

In reply to DrJP:

Just been in an email conversation discussing this. The upshot is that Blatant Buttress looks like it is properly a no-go crag now - it was always pretty dodgy TBH.

Blackwell Halt, on the other hand, should be fine still as long as you don't use the approach in the BMC Peak Limestone North guide and instead use the one in the Rockfax:

From the Monsal Trail on the Chee Dale Upper Approach, head down towards the cafe/cycle hire. Cross the bridge and turn sharp left at the cottages and follow a small path along the edge of the river and past a pump house. This leads to a tunnel under the train tracks. On leaving the tunnel, cross the fence on the left and go up some hidden stone steps. From here a path leads up into the grassy field below the quarry.

I have marked the UKC logbook entry up accordingly -  Chee Dale Upper

Alan

Post edited at 14:50
 mrphilipoldham 25 Apr 2019
In reply to DrJP:

On the same topic.. anyone know what the crack is with  Buxworth Railway Crag? You can approach via the fields rather than across the track but it’s very close to the live line and I’ve never been sure who’s land it is on? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...