Blacknor Beach erosion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Headed down to Blacknor Beach this weekend, and whilst there were a few steel additions to the cliff descent which definitely made it a bit easier on the tricky parts, I was quite shocked to see the extent of the clifftop paths erosion since I had been there last. I mean, it was never great on my last visits but there seemed to have been significant mudslides in places, especially around the Diamond Slabs descent path (which is pretty unpleasant in it's own right). I have only been going in the last 5 years, if the path continues to deteriorate I wonder how it will be passable? 

Climber_Bill 01 Apr 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Sadly, the cliffs and slopes at Blacknor have always been unstable. The path to the beach sectors and along the crag between Blacknor South and Blacknor North have changed many times over the last 25 years or so.

The beach sectors can be reached by walking along the boulders from the end of Chesil Beach, although it is a bit of a trek. Good fun and warm up though. The descent from Blacknor South could be made a bit more accessible by stakes and fixed ropes, but they would need regular checking and maintenance.

Ultimately, it could be argued, not that I necessarily agree with it, that only those with the skills and experience to get to those crags can climb there. It's a similar argument to, for example, climbing in Coire an t-Sneachda and Coire an Lochain and having to access the climbing by snow covered avalanche prone slopes.

Even if a new path is built, as at Battleship by dedicated locals such as Marti Hallet and others, it will probably only be temporary until the next wet winter causes more mud slides.

TJB.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...