Basic Abseil locations around Watcombe, Torquay?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Scott 10 Jul 2018

A bit of a long shot I expect.
We are taking a school group of little year 7's to Watcombe soon for a summer camp. I don't know the area very well but would love to give them a chance to do a small bit of abseiling. Time constraints don't allow much travel so could anyone recommend somewhere nearby to go check out? Ideally somewhere that doesn't get in the way of climbers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Phil79 10 Jul 2018
In reply to Pete Scott:

My daughter went to that campsite with her scout group recently. Its a lovely spot.

I cant think of anywhere suitable around Torquay area I'd recommend. Most crags I can think of not really suitable for a group of kids to be abseiling off, due to difficult access, or lack of easy/safe access at top of crag. 

But there's plenty of places in Torquay I haven't climbed so someone else is sure to have a better idea than me!

I'd suggest Dartmoor as more suitable location. Hound Tor or Bone Hill comes to mind.

Post edited at 17:06
OP Pete Scott 10 Jul 2018
In reply to Phil79:

Thanks for the info, we normally do our summer camp in Dartmoor but haven't managed to secure our usual site this year. Unfortunately we are having to keep all our activities fairly close by to cut on expenses.

Chris Ebbutt 10 Jul 2018
In reply to Pete Scott:

Chapel Hill

Ideal group use crag in the centre of Torquay, opposite Torre station. In a public park/wood with large mature tree belays at the top , lots of static rope required for set up but easy access to top and bottom of “Scout Slab” allows a 17m abseil  suitable for novices as the Slab is not to steep and the rope can be rigged to come from above in the trees.

More details in the brand new CC South Devon Guide.

Hope it goes well

Chris

OliverR17 10 Jul 2018
In reply to Pete Scott:

Depending on how far you're willing to drive, there's a purpose built abseil platform as you approach Berry Head (nr Brixham). It's got a nice wooden platform (limits rope rub) and some sturdy looking bolts. I believe it's managed by South Devon College but I could be mistaken -  there's a locked gate at the bottom that you'll need the key for.

Post edited at 19:39
OP Pete Scott 10 Jul 2018
In reply to Chris Ebbutt:

Brilliant! Cheers. Any idea of how much use it gets and how likely we are to get in the way of other outdoor groups?

Chris Ebbutt 13 Jul 2018
In reply to Pete Scott:

Hi Pete

You will have the crag to yourself apart from an occasional dog walker. Scout Slab is pretty clean at the moment, but please feel free to clean it up a bit more while you are there.

sorry for the slow reply

Chris

OP Pete Scott 26 Jul 2018
In reply to Chris Ebbutt:

Thanks for the help Chris! Just got back from camp. Chapel Woods was excellent. Got 20 kids abseiling and they had a great time. Only 1 wet themselves and all survived, result.

Pete

Chris Ebbutt 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Pete Scott:

That’s great, hope you didn’t get to sunburnt.

cheers Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...