Anstey's BMC Area meeting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 18 Jan 2021

Please see below - my announcement of the area meeting as posted on the BMC SW area facebook page. 

Special Issue Area Meeting – Anstey’s Cove.

There has been a lot of work undertaken at Anstey’s Cove. This was brought to people’s attention by a thread on UKC - UKC Forums - https://www.ukclimbing.com/.../crag_maintenance_vs... . Following this, I have had communications from a number of people and having spoken to other BMC volunteers decided it would be best to call a meeting to discuss the issues rather than wait until the next area meeting – 1st March. We will be holding a Zoom meeting on Wednesday 27th January at 7pm. BMC members in the SW should be receiving an email inviting them to the meeting in the next couple of days. Details of the meeting have been posted on the BMC Communities website - https://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=4257 If you wish to attend, you will need to register with Eventbrite via the community website. Note, you do not have to be a BMC member to attend and there is no charge. If you are unable to attend but would like your views taken into consideration, please message me. Please also note, this is the only subject we will be discussing, if there are other issues you would like to discuss, please let me know so that we can add them to the agenda for the March meeting.

Mark Kemball (BMC SW Area Chair).

Post edited at 18:39
 Steve Woollard 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Bump

Sam W 19 Jan 2021

Thanks for this.  First link isn't working for me, get a page not found error

OP Mark Kemball 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Sam W:

For some reason I cannot seem to post a link that works. The thread is called "Crag Maintenance vs Landscaping". 

Andy Johnson 19 Jan 2021

> For some reason I cannot seem to post a link that works. The thread is called "Crag Maintenance vs Landscaping". 

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/crag_maintenance_vs_landscaping...

Post edited at 11:33
 NaCl 20 Jan 2021

bump

Phil79 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Johnson:

No such topic apparently? Has it been deleted, cant find in search either? 

OP Mark Kemball 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Phil79:

It seems to have been deleted, you can find details on the BMC community site see my first post.

Post edited at 21:10
 james mann 25 Jan 2021

Just a reminder that this is this coming Wednesday.

James

UKB Shark 25 Jan 2021
In reply to james mann:

There’s a discussion thread on UKB that includes pics of the work that’s been done:

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,31073.msg627125.html#msg6271...

Post edited at 20:37
 james mann 25 Jan 2021
In reply to UKB Shark:

Thanks for linking that. Very helpful. 

james

The Pylon King 25 Jan 2021
In reply to UKB Shark:

The boulders held in place by bits of logs is really bizzare.

UKB Shark 26 Jan 2021
In reply to james mann:

You’re welcome. Matt did a good job with his ‘survey’.

Whoever did this was coming from a good place but what they’ve done looks a mess and isn’t going to last long.

Theres a balance to be struck in crag management where work should be lasting but also unobtrusive. I was struck by how busy Ansteys was when I went this year compared to the past (very digferent from when I held Nick Whites ropes when he was establishing some of the new routes!).

The slope below Empire would benefit from some work. At Red River Gorge the work carried out at some crags was OTT IMO and made the venue feel more like a municipal park with signage everywhere and including emergency phone kiosks in one place! 

Hope the meeting goes well and a consensus is established.

deepsoup 26 Jan 2021
In reply to The Pylon King:

> The boulders held in place by bits of logs is really bizzare.

And the spoon!

Hm..  maybe that could go some way to explaining the prodigious strength and boundless enthusiasm combined with a certain lack of um..  forethought.

NaCl 27 Jan 2021

Bump

james mann 27 Jan 2021
In reply to NaCl:

Bump

OP Mark Kemball 27 Jan 2021

Thanks to the many people who attended this meeting - 94 in all!!! 

I'll post on here to let people know once the minutes are out.

Steve Woollard 27 Jan 2021

> Thanks to the many people who attended this meeting - 94 in all!!! 

> I'll post on here to let people know once the minutes are out.

Any chance of a quick summary of the actions decided? I certainly was a bit confused at the end.

misterb 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Steve Woollard:

The summary should be......

Have a meeting with the landowners representative and try and work out what is acceptable to them with regard to countering the works already done!

Unfortunately this also needs to be discussed from the perspective of the local climbing community and as we all are aware, no one's opinions were really allowed to be voiced as it was made clear that "we are not here to discuss the quality of the work that has been carried out"

Well that in my opinion was faintly ridiculous , what was the meeting supposed to be about then??????

out of 94 people only about 7 people(other than bmc committee members) actually had a say on the matter and that is why no one can feel satisfied with the outcome

There should really be a vote(poll?)  where all individuals can feel like their opinion counts, then our (local climbers) representative could have the meeting with the landowners representative and discuss the situation with the views of the masses as his priority

If a solution is found and it includes us all helping out with the works I am sure 30 of the 94 interested parties at the zoom meeting tonight would put their hands up and do a days work to sort the problem out

pete osullivan 28 Jan 2021

Surely this level of environmental vandalism is a criminal offence

Once again we are shutting down this thread and it will be removed in the next couple of days.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...