Access restriction and possible Tom Cruise sighting at Darlton Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TurnipPrincess 26 Apr 2021

Between April and May 2021 Mission Impossible filming is taking place in Darlton Quarry therefore no public access.

More info:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-56846467

I am not sure about access after May 2021. As I've heard Hollywood purchased the quarry for the filming.

TobyA 26 Apr 2021
In reply to TurnipPrincess:

This has been discussed a good few times before on UKC including links to the planning documents lodged with DCC. No mention of "Hollywood" buying Darlton! There are plans for the film company to remove all traces of them being there when they finish though.

You can walk up quite close to quarry top set on public footpaths, there are rights of way into the east end of the quarry floor too which at least recently weren't blocked. Both areas have always been rather quiet when I've gone past on weekends - but people going into the quarry to climb have been asked to leave by security guards, so looks like no climbing there until later in the summer. I've only climbed on sunny wall, shady wall must be somewhere underneath the film set equipment - it looks like in the photos where they have anchored it on the halfway ledge, there has been big displacements of rock and earth down the lower wall, but I can't remember if that's where the climbing was if its further along that wall.

cragtyke 26 Apr 2021
In reply to TurnipPrincess:

From the photos it looks like they've buried the bottom of the routes on White Stripes Wall , the wall on the left.

Probably not related, but while we were at Goddard's last week, 2 guys parachuted from the top of the main wall, which is about 50m high, looked a bit dicey to me.

TobyA 26 Apr 2021
In reply to cragtyke:

> Probably not related, but while we were at Goddard's last week, 2 guys parachuted from the top of the main wall, which is about 50m high, looked a bit dicey to me.

Bloomin' 'eck!! Where exactly did they base jump? The wall on your left where you walk in (Sheffield Tape Archive 6a etc), which is quite clean isn't anywhere near 50 mtrs (can't you lower off those routes with a 60 mtr rope) and the big drops at the back of the quarry have big terraces on them so aren't clean falls. Wherever you did it in Goddard's, it sounds a mental place to base jump! 

cragtyke 26 Apr 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Yes , they jumped off a bit further right from  STA.

TobyA 26 Apr 2021
In reply to cragtyke:

Wow. Someone here must know how high you have to be for a modern base rig to be able to deploy fully, but I can't believe 30 or 35 mtrs gives you ANY margin at all. :-o

I read this brilliant book back in the 90s about base jumping called Ground Rush I think. You used to see it kicking around in bargain book shops for 50p, but then they went out of print and at one point were being sold secondhand for like 100 times that - of course I lent my copy to someone and never got it back. Anyway, it starts with them jumping Cheddar Gorge and I think two out of the three eff it up and crash into the other side. The author, who is the base beginner, jumps last thinking he couldn't run round quick enough to get to them and help (pre-mobile days) and makes it down ok, but it was sickening to read. Presumably the canopies have developed quite a lot since then, but still - jumping Goddard's seems utterly mad!

edit: just looked the book up - get a new copy for just 452 quid!!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Groundrush-Simon-Jakeman/dp/0099232618/

Post edited at 23:02
 ianstevens 27 Apr 2021
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Was talk of the town last week here 😂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...