Access in the current situation (Scotland)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 08 Apr 2020

Obviously we shouldn't be accessing crags at this point but Crag Access seemed the most relevant forum!

Below is the latest advice issued by Highland Council regarding access. Much of it will apply across Scotland:

The Highland Council’s Access Officers have become aware of several illegal ad hoc signs appearing on paths and access routes saying that they are closed. These signs are misleading, so the team is taking this opportunity to remind everyone about the current COVID-19 outdoor access guidance.

Outdoor Access and Long Distance Route Manager, Philip Waite said: “We want to remind everyone that the Rights of Responsible Access still apply and parts of the countryside are not closed. Some signs that are appearing are not appropriate.

“Landmanagers do not have the legal right to block or obstruct paths or other access routes. If anyone has any concerns they should contact the local access officer by emailing access@highland.gov.uk.

“What we ask is that everyone continues to follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code and the current Government advice on exercising outdoors.” 

The current advice is 

One outing for exercise per day - walk, run or cycle, alone or with members of your household.

Stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible - do not travel unnecessarily.

Keep your distance – try to stay 2m away from other people when out and about and pass quickly but do call a friendly greeting or give a wave.

Avoid contact - take hygiene precautions when you are outside and wash your hands as soon as you are back indoors.

Dogs need to be kept on a lead or under close control, do not let them approach others and as always pick up and remove all waste

Philip added: “Remember it's lambing time, so everyone needs to give a wide berth to farms where possible. Don’t take dogs into fields with lambs or other young animals in them and avoid disturbing any wildlife or livestock.”

gaz.marshall 08 Apr 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Interesting. Around me at home Fairburn Estate has blocked access to the popular Orrin Falls loop car park and a few other forest entrances where walkers often park. No signage or explanation. Feels very heavy handed. 

I certainly get the feeling that numbers of people coming here and walking has increased in recent weeks but it would be hard to say they're the increasing risk of Covid spread. If I was feeling cynical I would say that it feels like a classic example of a big estate using this as an opportunity to pull up the drawbridge and limit public access.

Jim233 08 Apr 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I think a lot of the advice has been misunderstood and/or wilfully misinterpreted. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if some estates are just plain locking folks out. Maybe they have maintenance they want to do? Or want to be able to pay off the staff responsible for maintenance? Hard to say. But then, there are a lot of people just taking the piss, including my local constabulary, who seem to have no f*cking clue what two metres actually looks like. The closest country park to me, Mugdock, is still very much open, but then it's local authority run. Interesting times.

In reply to DaveHK:

19 years ago we suffered from Foot and Mouth disease - now it's Foot in Mouth. I still remember areas which were "forbidden" where there was no livestock for over a hundred square miles. 

Skip 08 May 2020
In reply to Jim233:

It's wilful misinterpretation. There will be lots of this going on. Perfect excuse for those who don't want strangers or "outsiders" coming round these parts.

Lankyman 09 May 2020
In reply to Skip:

Similar here in Lancashire. I've had a confrontation with a farmer who said that the paths were closed. I know that even he knew this was rubbish.

PPP 09 May 2020
In reply to Jim233:

> The closest country park to me, Mugdock, is still very much open, but then it's local authority run. Interesting times.

The Mugdock car parks at North were closed last week, but I only passed one or two on my run (from home). It didn’t stop people to park by the roadside though. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...