XC rides in the North Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Any recommendations for a good XC ride in Keswick/ north lakes area, love tech, just expecting some road miles, so will be on the hardtail.

Kalna_kaza 01 Dec 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

The Skiddaw loop. Start in Keswick, up the road or forest tracks in Dodd wood and around to Skiddaw house via dash falls. There's a tricky section along the terrace to Latrigg and then a good decent back into town. 

mike123 01 Dec 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke1965: The other classic is the borrodale bash ( google will give you a route map ) plenty of techy stuff on that . Also you can make up routes that take in bits and bobs of the trail centre routes at Whinlatter mixed with forest tracks and a bit of road . Look at the green lanes around ling fell and sale fell , use forest tracks and some of the north red to get up towbarrow Moss , drop down to Lorton  and then round to the back of ling fell to a green lane that drops  you down through the forest and on to bass lake . 

mike123 01 Dec 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke1965: For something a bit different : the corpse road above loweswster vombined with the fell road that links mosser to loweswster and the one that links mosser to  lorton  these are doable on steel tourer but more fun  in a hard tail. 
edit :from memory these roads are still shown as drivable lanes on os maps , the one from mosser to loweswster most certainly isn’t and is good fast bumpy descent 

Post edited at 18:00
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

You got there before me! I love this loop, you can pop to the summit too if feeling adventurous. 

RobAJones 01 Dec 2020

A longer version of KK's route is a figure 8. Go up the old railway line to Threlkeld and then up to Skiddaw House. Then go east down towards Mosedale, round the top of the Calbeck Fells (or when you get to tarmac you can go west, carry for 20/30 minutes up Great Lingy Fell and there is good descent off High Pike) and finish as KK described via ww dash and latrigg.  

Post edited at 20:47
 Bob Bennett 01 Dec 2020

Start in Threlkeld and follow the back road around to|Mungrisedale then on to Mosedale. Turn left up this and ride to  Carrock Fell Mine site (end of metalled road). Turn left and follow the bridleway to Skiddaw House, excellent at first then finally some challenging single traclk. From SH ride down the valley to Threlkeld taking the east side bridleway ,mostly downhill and a good buzz! Excellent outing!

In reply to Bob Bennett:

Thanks guys some great knowledge, looking at maps as we speak, might even sneak out tomorrow if the weather plays ball.

Further suggestions appreciated.  

Ridge 01 Dec 2020
In reply to RobAJones:

> A longer version of KK's route is a figure 8. Go up the old railway line to Threlkeld and then up to Skiddaw House. Then go east down towards Mosedale, round the top of the Calbeck Fells (or when you get to tarmac you can go west, carry for 20/30 minutes up Great Lingy Fell and there is good descent off High Pike) and finish as KK described via ww dash and latrigg.  

Don't think the old line to Threlkeld is re-opening until the 5th December, just in case the OP heads out before then.

RobAJones 01 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

I think that is the official opening date, but it  ok at the moment. Not done it myself but several friends,who live in Keswick said it was packed last weekend. Might just have been for locals?

baron 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> Don't think the old line to Threlkeld is re-opening until the 5th December, just in case the OP heads out before then.

It’s really good news that the path is reopening.

Having seen the damage caused by the storm, especially the washed away bridges, I thought it was lost forever.

Congratulations to whoever organised what must have been a very expensive repair project.

Ridge 02 Dec 2020
In reply to RobAJones:

A friend was there a couple of days ago, the tunnel and bridges were open but he was turned back near Threlkeld as they were still working on a section.

Be great to see it open, despite the moaning from some people.

RobAJones 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Definitely, I couldn't understand why the squirrels would care whether it was tarmac or gravel?

Ridge 02 Dec 2020
In reply to RobAJones:

I couldn't believe it either, all those poor squirrels unable to wallow in mud and swim in the puddles 🙄

Ridge 02 Dec 2020
In reply to RobAJones:

> I think that is the official opening date, but it  ok at the moment. Not done it myself but several friends,who live in Keswick said it was packed last weekend. Might just have been for locals?

I stand corrected, a couple of running club members ran out to Threlkeld yesterday with no problems.

Lord_ash2000 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> A friend was there a couple of days ago, the tunnel and bridges were open but he was turned back near Threlkeld as they were still working on a section.

> Be great to see it open, despite the moaning from some people.

Official opening is on the 5th, we rode down it on the 1st and it was busy. Still men working on it though, fixing a few boards on the bridges and other bits and bobs. A friend tried to go down it today and the new tunnel was fenced off again.

Guess it's a bit hit and miss depending on what work they are doing and if they do or don't need to close access but still planned for official opening on the 5th as far as I know.

RobAJones 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

To be fair, between us giving  the message, it will probably be open but  not certain until Sat, was correct. If they were out today some of the descents would have been a bit slippy.

Ridge 08 Dec 2020

Just been for a run up the re-opened track between Keswick and Threlkeld. A really well executed job, (from what I coukd see in the dark). The old tunnel they dug out is impressive, especially when the lights brighten as you enter.

Post edited at 19:14
 Ridge 08 Dec 2020

Photo (hopefully).

mike123 14 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

rode up through it on Sunday . As you say , very impressive job of the old tunnel and infact of the whole thing . Well done to whoever made it happen .  mtb loops from keswick spa up around blencathra are  straightforward again . Which is what we did . Got p1ss wet . 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...