World Championships in Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elsewhere 22 Sep 2019

Mixed time trial relay was good to watch, a novel format but not just a novelty.

Post edited at 19:36
 Sam W 22 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Did the sportive from Harrogate today. Great atmosphere on course, loads of people out cheering us on. If it's like that for the amateurs, the pros should get a brilliant reception

OP elsewhere 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Sam W:

Women's road race, u23 women's road race, u23 men's road and women's time trial. Some great racing, very exciting. Really enjoyed it. Almost over

Yanis Nayu 28 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

van Vleuten was on another planet today. 100k off the front!

OP elsewhere 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> van Vleuten was on another planet today. 100k off the front!

Fantastic!

Pity the Dutch guy got dq'd yesterday but great racing.

Post edited at 23:27
 felt 29 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Well, that was a bit weird. Pleased for Mads. I could swear I saw Trentin curse in English just after he crossed the line, but maybe there's a similar word in Italian.

OP elsewhere 29 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

> Well, that was a bit weird. Pleased for Mads. I could swear I saw Trentin curse in English just after he crossed the line, but maybe there's a similar word in Italian.

Great result to see somebody I had never heard* of take on the famous guys.

*I may just be ignorant.

I'm pretty sure Trentin said exactly what you thought he said. It did look very Anglo-Saxon.

Post edited at 18:51
 felt 29 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

I wanted Philippe Gilbert to win, but he didn't look great after that crash. I ff'd my recording in places, so not sure what happened to him but I heard he quit at some stage.

Would have been great if the pursuing bunch had made more of an effort with maybe three or four laps to go, but easy to say in the warmth of the home. That said, the roads in N Devon have been like rivers recently too, massive mid-road puddles, sheets of water flowing down the hills.

Yanis Nayu 29 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

He did, yes. I noticed it too. 

Yanis Nayu 29 Sep 2019
In reply to felt:

I was amazed to see MVDP blow so spectacularly, then Trentin have nothing in the sprint. It was one of the most brutal races I’ve seen I think  

DaveHK 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I was amazed to see MVDP blow so spectacularly,

Boardman described it as a 'double leg puncture'!

In reply to DaveHK:

I was on the very wet streets of Harrogate about 300m before the line on the last short hill, MVDP came past us for the penultimate time and my mate said "he looks really comfortable" about a minute later we heard the commentary on the street tanoy saying he had blown up, and said he appeared to have cramp. Haven't seen it on a screen yet.

DaveHK 29 Sep 2019
In reply to mountain.martin:

>  said he appeared to have cramp. Haven't seen it on a screen yet.

It didn't look like cramp and I didn't hear them mention cramp on the TV coverage. He just sat up.

Yanis Nayu 29 Sep 2019

I don’t think he had cramp; the lights just went out. 

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

You could well be right, I haven't seen the footage, but  seems strange that he looked fine on the hill about 1 minute earlier and he sat up on a flat section, the commentator sounded very surprised how he had just dropped off so suddenly.

Post edited at 21:12
 Stig 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

How can you tell whether someone has cramp?

He peeled off rather than merely lose touch so cramp sounds plausible to me. Not that it matters much. 

webbo 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Stig:

He just completely blew up, he talks of feeling dizzy and empty in a post race interview. It’s not that an uncommon event in cycling “ bonking “

sg 30 Sep 2019
In reply to webbo:

> He just completely blew up, he talks of feeling dizzy and empty in a post race interview. It’s not that an uncommon event in cycling “ bonking “

Yes, must have been really difficult to get fuel intake right yesterday - the conditions would have exacerbated calorie loss in quite unpredictable ways and on a very long day. I'm sure most of them were just hanging on at the end, hence no big surge out of the pack to catch the leaders.

DaveHK 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Stig:

> How can you tell whether someone has cramp?

It's usually pretty obvious, pained expression, awkward movement, clutching various body parts, attempting to stretch it out.

The New NickB 30 Sep 2019
In reply to sg:

I was there yesterday and watched from various points on the course, including by the team areas / fuel pickup on Otley Road. It looked pretty frantic and chaotic, I can well believe that riders missed fuelling opportunities that where part of their plan. Later on we were further up Otley Road and saw quite a few riders pulling out within a mile of so of the team areas and heading back. Dan Martin was the only one I could put a name to.

GrahamD 30 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

> Great result to see somebody I had never heard* of take on the famous guys.

Yet another youngster, innit ?  They'll all have to be thinking of retiring by 25 if the 2019 trend continues !

In reply to GrahamD:

Well, the women's winner was 36, which makes her a youngster in my eyes but not in world championship terms.

felt 30 Sep 2019

Young compared with Kristin Armstrong.

Yanis Nayu 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Stig:

What he said afterwards. That aside, if he’d been trying to stretch or massage during the race (difficult I know when you’re in a 4/5 man break and the race is on) or after he'd blown  I’d have taken that as a clue. 

Post edited at 15:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...