Women's Everesting record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 08 Jun 2020

This caught my eye:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hannah-rhodes-smashes-everesting-womens-re...

A total demolition of the women's Everesting record on a hill I recognise (by I rider, sad to say, I didn't)

Lord_ash2000 08 Jun 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

That's pretty impressive, having ridden up there a few times I can confidently say there is no chance I could do the 20 or so accents it would take to clock up an Everest ascent. 1 yes, 2 probably, 3 I reckon would end me.  

Edit: I see she actually did it up the shorter (but steeper) side so it's more laps. Still extremely impressive though as that side is also a killer, much more intense. 

I guess there must be an optimum gradient for these things, too shallow and you just wouldn't be able to ride the distance required in that time and too steep and you'd never be able to sustain the power. 

Post edited at 11:00
OP GrahamD 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

On GCN last week, they reckoned steep (and straight) was good because aerodynamics were less significant.

gazhbo 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

37 according to the article!

OP GrahamD 08 Jun 2020
In reply to gazhbo:

Some level of motivation there !

nniff 08 Jun 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

And some bloke on Twitter saw fit to criticise her saddle height and position; more flames than the Towering Inferno as a result.

Gone for good 08 Jun 2020
OP GrahamD 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

Absolutely astounding, but then again I already knew AVV was phenomenal. 

earlsdonwhu 08 Jun 2020

I know the Netherlands is quite flat but that's incredible. No big peloton to share the work and presumably some traffic lights etc!

Marek 08 Jun 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Yes, not bad.

But long distance racers (e.g., Fiona Kolbinger) would do ~400km per day, day after day after day...

And they are completely self supported - carrying all their gear for a week or so.

Now that's impressive!

And her idea of a day out? 560km with plenty of climbing...

https://road.cc/content/news/tcr-winner-fiona-kolbinger-puts-massive-lockdo...

Post edited at 16:14
 steveriley 08 Jun 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

A friend of mine did his Everest on a local 50m hill, something like 185 reps. I don't which is more bonkers

Gone for good 08 Jun 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

To add some perspective. I rode 230km yesterday at an average speed of 23.5kmph although I did over 2800 metres of climbing. She rode a further 170km at an average of 37kmph. The mind (and legs) boggles!!

Stig 09 Jun 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> A total demolition of the women's Everesting record on a hill I recognise (by I rider, sad to say, I didn't)

Why should you have recognised her? Genuinely baffled by your comment!

Ian Patterson 09 Jun 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> A total demolition of the women's Everesting record on a hill I recognise (by I rider, sad to say, I didn't)

Hannah is my niece and I'm not surprised you don't know of her.  Extremely strong hill climber but isn't really involved in racing though she did manage 4th in the national hill climb last year.   She takes her riding and training seriously, puts loads of miles in often with with her boyfriend who until recently raced at very high amateur levels but her abilities don't really fit with women's racing which doesn't reward climbing ability in the same way that men's does.

She's also very good at detail / planning and put this into effect with her attempt - she was pretty confident she could break the record by a good margin estimating she would hit somewhere between 9 to 9.5 hours beforehand.  We'll certainly be watching the record with interest, Hannah would actually be happy to so see a high level pro rider take it on seriously to see where the record could move to, though guess that may depend on whether racing starts to pick up soon.

OP GrahamD 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Stig:

> Why should you have recognised her? Genuinely baffled by your comment!

Recent men's and women's records have been taken by moderately high profile racers.  Then up crops a clearly very strong british rider I hadn't heard of, not prominent on the race scene, that absolutely annihilate the record.  It's great, especially on a piece of road I know.

OP GrahamD 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Ian Patterson:

Thanks.  Great achievement.

Yanis Nayu 09 Jun 2020

Fantastic achievement- pass on my congratulations!

OP GrahamD 09 Jul 2020
In reply to felt:

If anyone was going to be next, I'm kind of glad it is Emma Pooley. 

elsewhere 09 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> If anyone was going to be next, I'm kind of glad it is Emma Pooley. 

You've got to be pretty damn good to have Emma Pooley take your record.

felt 10 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Yes. If you haven't seen them, it's worth reading her comments below the article.

Ian Patterson 10 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> If anyone was going to be next, I'm kind of glad it is Emma Pooley. 

Haven't spoken to Hannah yet but know that she had been having some electronic conversations with Emma.   I'm pretty sure she'll be happy that the record was taken by a rider of Pooley's quality and even more so that it didn't sound like it was trivial.

gazhbo 10 Jul 2020
In reply to felt:

I like the fact (and didn’t realise until now) that she rides on less than full size wheels!

OP GrahamD 10 Jul 2020
In reply to gazhbo:

Not a follower of GCN, then ? Emma Pooley was a regular presenter for a while.

Gone for good 10 Jul 2020
In reply to felt:

An incredible achievement. Well done Emma 👏. 👏 

nniff 10 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

These times are bonkers.  Just idle musings: my current 'morning ride to work' loop takes in Box Hill - once usually, up and down twice sometimes, up and down three times very occasionally - Box Hill is about 400 feet/120m high.  My sensible 'fast' time is 7m30 (i.e no spewing at the top).  I can currently manage two at 8 minutes and three at 7:30, 8 and 8:30 respectively.  If we conveniently forget about returning to the bottom and join my sensible 'fast' times together in a long line, it's 15 minutes for 800 feet. 29,000 feet takes 36 and a bit of those, which is nine hours.  Emma Pooley racked it up in a bit less than that, including going back to the bottom.   Bloody hell.

OP GrahamD 10 Jul 2020
In reply to nniff:

And Bertie has just taken the men's record !

OP GrahamD 10 Jul 2020

It certainly didn't sound trivial for Emma, which warrants (in my mind) even more kudos to Hannah for her effort.

Ian Patterson 10 Jul 2020
In reply to nniff:

> These times are bonkers.  Just idle musings: my current 'morning ride to work' loop takes in Box Hill - once usually, up and down twice sometimes, up and down three times very occasionally - Box Hill is about 400 feet/120m high.  My sensible 'fast' time is 7m30 (i.e no spewing at the top).  I can currently manage two at 8 minutes and three at 7:30, 8 and 8:30 respectively.  If we conveniently forget about returning to the bottom and join my sensible 'fast' times together in a long line, it's 15 minutes for 800 feet. 29,000 feet takes 36 and a bit of those, which is nine hours.  Emma Pooley racked it up in a bit less than that, including going back to the bottom.   Bloody hell.

True of course that these records are amazing but Box Hill is nowhere steep enough for efficient everesting.  Emma Pooley did it on 13% average hill, Hannah on a 11% Contador 13% as well. 

felt 10 Jul 2020

Might as well have a link to these tables, put up today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everesting 

I like No 7 in the men's.

nniff 10 Jul 2020

> True of course that these records are amazing but Box Hill is nowhere steep enough for efficient everesting.  Emma Pooley did it on 13% average hill, Hannah on a 11% Contador 13% as well. 

Of course, but the effort is mind boggling.  Put me on a steeper hill and it just gets worse!

Gone for good 10 Jul 2020
In reply to nniff:

My mate did the Everest challenge on a small local hill in the Cotswolds. Average 5 or 6% gradient at the most. 155 times up and down and 180 miles over 17 hours!!!

nniff 10 Jul 2020

In the spirit of something completely different, some of us set off a couple of Sundays ago to 'Ride a Long Way'.  We covered just over 350km in the day and managed to climb only 5827 feet.  My usual 'ride to work' is about 1400 feet in 16 miles.  Mostly following the course of the Thames out to the Cotswolds and back.

nufkin 11 Jul 2020
In reply to nniff:

>  15 minutes for 800 feet. 29,000 feet takes 36 and a bit of those, which is nine hours

If you ride it in metric it's about 2/3rds less daunting

Dave Cundy 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Marek:

I've just put Fiona Kolbinger's trip through my cycling computer model.

"RoadCC" says she did 560 Km in 21.8 hrs.  I reckon she did about 2250 m of ascent, based on a quick route analysis using BRouter.

That equates to 16 hrs at 17 mph on the flat, plus 3.5 hrs do to the uphill bits.  The remaining 2 hrs was downhill.    I'd be happy averaging 17 mph for a couple of hrs, never mins 16!

Well impressed.  Her average power output was 170 Watts (50 % higher than mine).

My calculation of her food requirements was 12,000 Cals.  Not sure how that equates to what she ate.  She must have eaten like a horse the following day.

In reply to nniff:

"We covered just over 350km in the day and managed to climb only 5827 feet"

Good going, but that does sound pleasantly un-hilly for a ride of almost 220 miles.

Did you look for a flat route? Which part of the country were you in?

nufkin 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Dave Cundy:

>  My calculation of her food requirements was 12,000 Cals...She must have eaten a horse the following day.

Fixed that for you

Dave Cundy 12 Jul 2020
In reply to nufkin:

Ha ha, nice one.

Which reminds me of the expression,

"Eee, i could eat a scabby dog."

nniff 13 Jul 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

Overtly as flat as we could make it.  Roughly Dorking, Windsor, Reading, Abingdon, Lechlade and  back  - following the Thames

In reply to nniff:

I like the sound of that. Oxford was my home town so I like the idea of riding the length of the Thames, not sure about the back again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...