White bikes, protocol, etiquette.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

On the 24th march 2021.  On the 6th august 2020 at the same road  junction 2  cyclists have been  killed by car, and van.   400 yards away on the 31st august 2020  a cyclist  was ''left with life-threatening injuries and several serious internal injuries, and was taken to hospital where he remained for nine weeks''.

It  pisses me off when local pleps get all excited about the helicopter landing in the school for the second time, it gives me goosebumps and itchy eyes.

So whats the protocol, on chaining a Ghost bike X3  to the railings, do the council or scrap men remove them, and importantly how will the   familys of the cyclists view it, [are we bothered if we offend  the drivers]  ?

I dont know the people involved so can not ask, and I'm not a user of any cycling forum

https://saddind.co.uk/cyclist-dies-following-collision-in-lees/

https://saddind.co.uk/police-appeal-for-information-after-cyclist-killed-in...

https://saddind.co.uk/disqualified-driver-jailed-for-serious-august-bank-ho...

3 links to a local rag at the time 

Post edited at 11:29
 DancingOnRock 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Name Changed 34:

It’s crazy when they know it’s an accident black spot and due to people driving recklessly. 

This is an article published 6 months before the most recent death.  

https://saddind.co.uk/police-hope-speed-can-be-calmed-at-huddersfield-road-...

Post edited at 11:39
 tomsan91 20 Apr 2021

Louise was a friend and a fellow member of Saddleworth Clarion CC, I don't think there have been discussions about having a "Ghost" bike placed at the junction but members of the clubs committee are in contact with her family. Personally I would like Oldham council to improve the safety of its roads in an ever increasingly popular area for cycling, road traffic deaths shouldn't just be brushed off as an inevitable accident and cyclists seen as collateral in the rush to complete menial local journeys in a motor vehicle. 

No idea about the specifics of this caee but personally there is no way I would unless I had permission from the family

Crazylegs 20 Apr 2021
In reply to tomsan91:

I would suggest that as many local individuals (e.g. all members of the club, friends etc.) as possible write to the local MP and local councillors to clearly set out the timeline of all incidents on this section of road over the last few years.  This site (together with local media accounts) will be helpful: https://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search

If there is an obvious and repeating contributory factor (e.g. mode of those involved, time of day, speed, location, maneovre etc), then set this out.  The Highway Authority will be already be aware of these details but it always helps to have the public and politicians set their priority for urgent road safety funding.

Vulnerable road users should not be seen as collateral damage and acceptable loss for the sake of maintaining speed and capacity of motorised vehicles!

gravy 20 Apr 2021

It might be more effective to ask the local council to install "beware bikes" signs.  I realise some may scoff at this but I got one installed at a junction where I had repeated near misses from right turners. 

I was amazed that:

(a) the council fitted the sign

(b) it worked - it's been there for 5 years now and I've not had trouble since

White bikes don't mean anything to drivers - a distraction even and the point about not doing it without speaking to the families is well made.

I am glad I asked, the feelings are clear from responses, that its  perhaps not a good idea, and that sensitivity are not pro ghost bikes .

As said I do not know any of the involved,  one  involved  a member of a local CC we are told and they will be in the know. one was not a fatal, although close, so  presumably we hope, can speak for them self, ?  the other, ? don't know but not forgotten.   

Regarding comments,

'' White bikes don't mean anything to drivers

Oldham council to improve the safety of its roads

Vulnerable road users should not be seen as collateral damage and acceptable loss''

All add up to a way forward, to open eyes is to put it in front of them, its a horrid  fact  [ no one wants them] that if  Ghost appear around the country some one will take note. The hope that a follow-on will be better road safety.  cycle lanes and paths that do not end abruptly or carry a instruction to dismount,   but more over a driver respect for cycling. 

Cobra_Head 24 Apr 2021

> I am glad I asked, the feelings are clear from responses, that its  perhaps not a good idea, and that sensitivity are not pro ghost bikes .

I think, why not give it a go, remove it if there are complaints. I can't see family members being upset when you're attempting to save other people sons and daughters being killed.

Not sure what the council might think or do mind.

iccle_bully 24 Apr 2021

> '' White bikes don't mean anything to drivers...

> All add up to a way forward, to open eyes is to put it in front of them, its a horrid  fact  [ no one wants them] that if  Ghost appear around the country some one will take note. The hope that a follow-on will be better road safety.  cycle lanes and paths that do not end abruptly or carry a instruction to dismount,   but more over a driver respect for cycling. 

Have to say I've driven past a white bike on my way home from work for a number of years and never knew what it was for, it's pretty and has flower baskets on it. 

I cycle lots and used to commute on by bike but don't read cycling media or forums. 

Signage, whilst not as aesthetically pleasing, is more obvious in its meaning. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...