Which no towbar 2 bike rack for back of the car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 16 May 2018

Hi all

Can anyone please recommend a 2 bike rack that goes on the back of a hatchback (Toyota Auris). The car does have a tow bar. Reading around, I see pretty contradictory stuff about whether or not the scratch/scuff the paint. The Saris Bones 2 looks like a possible .

I also see contradictory reviews about whether additional straps etc are needed.

Thanks all! We are off on Saturday so need to sort this out ASAP to get here on Friday if possible

MarkR 16 May 2018
In reply to ericinbristol:

I can recommend Saris Bones. I have a saris bones 3 and have used a fair bit on a focus and leon tourer. I've always backed it up with a sling ( on the focus via roof rails and on the leon via the boot hinges. The sling passes through the main tube easily. ), dont think I needed to really but didnt want to lose my bikes on the motorway. I've not noticed any paint damage and have washed the bits the hooks touch before using it.

nniff 16 May 2018

Saris Bones is good, but make sure that the top of your hatch isn't plastic.  I've lost track of how many roof rails, racks and boot racks I've bought over the years.  Unless you have a soft top car, the way to go is a SeaSucker IMHO.  All you need is a glass or metal roof.  There is a cheaper version that fits on the glass of hatchbacks/estates.  On my wife's car, one part goes on the roof and the other on the boot.  Not cheap though, and there is a two bike version.

thepodge 16 May 2018
In reply to nniff:

I just got a roof mounted sea sucker copy as I got bored of not being able to get into the boot once the bikes were loaded. 

felt 16 May 2018

The Bones RS (ratchet system) is super but not sure if they do a 2-bike version. Pricey, but on and off in about 15 seconds.

OP ericinbristol 16 May 2018

Hi all

Many thanks for the replies - very helpful

balmybaldwin 16 May 2018

Saris Bones seems by far the most solid and reassuring.

OP ericinbristol 16 May 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks - I have ordered, should be here in time for going on holds with mrs ericinbristol on Saturday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...