Wheel swapping question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am hoping someone can help me explain if its possible to swap some wheels on my road bike.

My bike has Campag Xenon 10 speed 52/39 group set with a miche 12-25 cassette.

My friend has a much nicer set of wheels gathering dust which has 11 speed campag cassette fitted. Can I switch the cassettes and fit these wheels to my bike? (all other things being equal)

Apologies if it's a really dumb question, i'm pretty useless at stuff like this..thx

wilkie14c 23 May 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I’m a shimano man not a campag but if this situation was for shimano, an 11 speed wheel would fit a 10 speed set up quite easily by using a 1.8mm spacer on the free hub before dropping the 10 speed cassette on. I do this all the time as my winter bike is an 8 speed claris and nice bike 11 speed, all my wheels are 11 speed but all fit the 8 speed with this spacer. 

note though that you can make wheels for higher number of cogs fit wheels for lower numbers but not the other way around, that is, 8/9/10 speeds can’t fit the 11 speed cassettes. you have to have the 11 speed free hub to start with.

I imagine campag are similar, just need a campag rider to confirm this.

Post edited at 11:07
cb294 23 May 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

AFAIK Campa 10/11 speed groups have the same freehub. It should be trivial to just switch over your 10 speed cassette, no spacers or similar required.

CB

In reply to cb294:

Great, thx chaps

LastBoyScout 23 May 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

> note though that you can make wheels for higher number of cogs fit wheels for lower numbers but not the other way around, that is, 8/9/10 speeds can’t fit the 11 speed cassettes. you have to have the 11 speed free hub to start with.

Not entirely true - you can get special 11 speed cassettes designed to fit on a 10 speed hub.

The back of the cassette is recessed, so the inner gear sits closer to the spokes.

wilkie14c 23 May 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yea true, answered for bog standard parts though, presumed the OP was asking about bog standard equip. There may be some very slight dish issues too but not enough to worry about i wouldn’t have thought 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...