What is this bike worth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed Bright 10 Dec 2012
Just bought a second hand bike, think I've got a good deal but not 100% sure...

Specs:
Make: John Pavey
Frame and forks: Reynolds 531
Wheels: 700c Wolber Super Champion Alpine
Tyres: 700c Schwalbe Blizzard x25
Drivetrain: Shimano Deore Mega
Derailleurs: Shimano Deore
Crank arm: Shimano Deore
Brakes: Shimano Exage Action
Shifters and levers: Shimano
Pedals: Brev Int Campagnalo
Saddle: Selle Royal Gel

I've just looked over the bike and that's all the info I can find. Any other specs I'm not sure of.

Everything works smoothly - what would you have paid for it?
 lost1977 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Ed Brighteldman:

Reynolds 531 tubing I like (probably my favourite for a comfortable ride)
 ChrisJD 10 Dec 2012

> what would you have paid for it?

It's a road bike, you'd have to pay me a lot to have one in the garage
michaelc 10 Dec 2012
In reply to lost1977:
Are old Raleigh frames with Reynolds 531 tubes any good? 1980s or late 70s (I think) stuff. Have one in the garage and 90% rideable but hadn't gotten around to doing the last 10%.

Will need to spend a little bit so thought I'd throw out the question...
 Padraig 10 Dec 2012

I sold one like this last year - it was a Dawes iirc with a VERY similar spec for £120. I was surprised at the interest in in tbh. But the 531 is still very popular.
 lost1977 10 Dec 2012
In reply to michaelc:

its kind of a yes and no, the frames are probably pretty well made with nice tubing but they are designed for old components. old 531 frames are often in demand for people doing singlespeed/fixie conversions
michaelc 10 Dec 2012
In reply to lost1977:
Cheers. That was one idea I had (fixie/single-speed). Was unsure how successful it'd be given the drop outs are not the racing style (that facilitate chain tensioning). Bike shop owner I discussed it with was absolutely dismissive!

lost1977 10 Dec 2012
In reply to michaelc:

what drop outs does it have are they forward facing horizontal drop outs
michaelc 10 Dec 2012
In reply to lost1977:
Forward and diagonally down. Reading around it's not impossible to work with that, but not the simplest.
 lost1977 10 Dec 2012
In reply to michaelc:

sounds like my original fixie, workable although would be better for single rather than fixie
 lost1977 10 Dec 2012
In reply to lost1977:

one of the benefits of converting old road frames is more comfortable geometry and steel frames make for nice rides
 steveriley 10 Dec 2012
> Forward and diagonally down.

Should be alright, it's how we did it in the olden days. You should have the adjustment - you don't need much, especially if you can jigger around with cogs and chainwheels to get the right ratio. The issue is really whether it holds in the drop-out without moving. Have you got Chris Hoy thighs?

It's worth whatever it's worth really, I've only just got rid of an old 531 bike. Always the wrong size, but really nice, comfy ride. Gave to a friend, but probably worth about 100 quid with some nice stuff on it.
 Dave B 10 Dec 2012
In reply to michaelc:

I run mine like this it works fine as a fixie... Half link chain would help to get exactly the right length, but its OK.
michaelc 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave B:
Thanks everyone for the encouragement...
I might be putting some bits and pieces on my Christmas list and have a project after that...

I think I bought the bike for about €50 a couple of years ago, just because I liked the idea of a road frame and 531 tubes. Looks like it was somewhere between value for money and a good deal...
 rallymania 11 Dec 2012
well?

what did you pay for it?
 Toby_W 11 Dec 2012

Well got a raleigh special products 853 frame (never built up) off ebay for 300 pounds and people were e-mailing me afterwards asking if I'd sell it straight on.

A quick google shows a John Pavey frame has just gone on ebay for 220 pounds.

I wouldn't pay much more than I did for an old steel bike fully built up unless it was something special.

Cheers

Toby
OP Ed Bright 11 Dec 2012
 lost1977 11 Dec 2012

i actually like that bike and looks in good condition cosmetically, just watch the seatpost does seize
 Toby_W 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Ed Brighteldman: they're envious you got such a bargain. Also I think it's a good looking steed.

Cheers

Toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...